Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 11:50 AM

13,704 posts, read 22,031,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You may be surprised. My nephews all graduated from Harrison High in Kennesaw. There was very much a G.O.B. culture in the school. All the boys drove pickup trucks, hunted on the weekends, loved Country...as did their friends.
Harrison is in WEST COBB ... big difference from EAST COBB!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM

23,591 posts, read 44,359,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
There is always a group of kids into hunting, trucks and country music.

Its certainly not the majority of kids in metro high schools.
Not what my sister would say about West Cobb, and she's lived there for 36 years. My mother used to roll her eyes and say, "Your sister is raising a bunch of ****kickers up there in Cobb County." Trust me, that was not fostered by my sister.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
East, West...it's still Cobb. I suspect the same can be said for Collin County, TX.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:19 PM

13,704 posts, read 22,031,157 times
Quote:
Not what my sister would say about West Cobb, and she's lived there for 36 years. My mother used to roll her eyes and say, "Your sister is raising a bunch of ****kickers up there in Cobb County." Trust me, that was not fostered by my sister.
Why do I picture your family get-togethers being something like "Keeping Up Appearances"?

Old 11-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Why do I picture your family get-togethers being something like "Keeping Up Appearances"?
No, my dad was a physician and my mother a diva. Cross-breed Julia Sugarbaker and Blanche Devereaux and there you have it. In her day, she owned DeKalb County socially. She knew how to throw it down.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM

16,730 posts, read 29,706,253 times
Quote:

Indeed--very true.

The saying is...

"East Cobb Snobs and West CornCobbs"

Harrison is, like, a wannabe Walton/Pope/Lassiter.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
You may be surprised. My nephews all graduated from Harrison High in Kennesaw. There was very much a G.O.B. culture in the school. All the boys drove pickup trucks, hunted on the weekends, loved Country...as did their friends.

There was/is more of a "red-necky" element in West Cobb.

In fact, growing up in East Cobb, anything west of Trickum Road and then west of Sandy Plains Road was referred to as "redneck territory" by notorious East Cobbers. Even the Sprayberry area.

An actual mid-90's conversation by two Pope High School girls (referring to a girl that moved from the Sprayberry district to the Pope district):

Girl 1: "I was so mad when she made the squad."

Girl 2: "Oh, I know. I can't believe she made it."

Girl 2: "Sprayberry--oh my god."

Girl 1: "I know...they cheer like rednecks over there...!"

Later, they even clarified (and demonstrated) what "cheerleading like a redneck" actually meant.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
There is always a group of kids into hunting, trucks and country music.

Its certainly not the majority of kids in metro high schools.
True--and a small group of these students even exist in East Cobb high schools.

Funny thing was, two of the more "gung-ho" ones while I was in school were two dudes that moved from suburban Minnesota and suburban Pennsylvania in the 8th grade. They morphed into the "the trucks and stuff" crowd in order to have a niche/group.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,919,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There was/is more of a "red-necky" element in West Cobb.

In fact, growing up in East Cobb, anything west of Trickum Road and then west of Sandy Plains Road was referred to as "redneck territory" by notorious East Cobbers. Even the Sprayberry area.

An actual mid-90's conversation by two Pope High School girls (referring to a girl that moved from the Sprayberry district to the Pope district):

Girl 1: "I was so mad when she made the squad."

Girl 2: "Oh, I know. I can't believe she made it."

Girl 2: "Sprayberry--oh my god."

Girl 1: "I know...they cheer like rednecks over there...!"

Later, they even clarified (and demonstrated) what "cheerleading like a redneck" actually meant.
Gosh, if West Cobb is redneck, what is Paulding?

Old 11-09-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Gosh, if West Cobb is redneck, what is Paulding?

Haha...remember, redneck according to some East Cobbers. It would be interesting to see East Cobbers take on Paulding, however.

I am not exactly sure what the word on the street is at the present-moment (2013).

Growing up, the Cherokee County line to the north was seen as like the edge of the Earth.

But--South Cherokee is seen prime-metro Atlanta now (in my opinion).

Brother Marks--someone should go do a random survey of East Cobbers on their "redneck perceptions" of parts of Metro Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta