Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,402,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
News
My point of mentioning the nearness of Alabama on our metro west frontier was that metro Atlanta, especially the west metro, has far more in common & much more interconnectivity with that area of eastern Alabama than it has with the coastal southern mid Atlantic states, incl. N.C., S.C. & Va. which one writer claimed to be more inter-related with us. (I'm paraphrasing what he wrote.)
West Alabama: The new Atlanta of 'Bama!

Just joshing - I think you make a very valid point.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,352,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The only place I could want to ever live is San Antonio.Its got HUGE potential but definately needs rail and more intown developement in its huge city limits.
That's unusual. Most Atlantans I know here in Texas aren't very fond of San Antonio. Believe what you want, but I'm certain you wouldn't be either.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,812,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That's unusual. Most Atlantans I know here in Texas aren't very fond of San Antonio. Believe what you want, but I'm certain you wouldn't be either.
I've already lived in San Antonio.Dallas is probably more my speed but I like the downtown of San Antonio an the feel of it.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:49 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,352,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I've already lived in San Antonio.Dallas is probably more my speed but I like the downtown of San Antonio an the feel of it.
Well, everybody likes downtown San Antonio.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,402,766 times
Last time I was in San Antonio, AT&T had just abandoned it for Dallas. Man, the place felt like a ghost town. I hope things are picking back up.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,812,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, everybody likes downtown San Antonio.
Well that was over 8 years ago so maybe its worse,better or the same?The more I think about it and remember more about my stay there,I change my mind. I would not want to live there,Its a bit too slow.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,882,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Given that the western edge of metro Atlanta abuts the state line of Alabama & that the heart of the city of Atlanta is only 70 miles from that state, I'd be pretty certain that our tie-ins with the nearby areas of Alabama are infitnitely more closely connected than they are to the states to our east & northeast which lie in the lower mid Atlantic corridor.
that makes about as much sense as saying chicago has more in common with iowa than it does cleveland, detroit, and cincinnati, because it's closer. drive to charlotte and then drive to montgomery and tell me what's more like atlanta.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:01 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
that makes about as much sense as saying chicago has more in common with iowa than it does cleveland, detroit, and cincinnati, because it's closer. drive to charlotte and then drive to montgomery and tell me what's more like atlanta.

People make the mistake of thinking that just because Alabama is right next door, it must have more in common with Atlanta's megalopolis than places a bit further away, like Nashville and Charlotte. And that's simply not the case. Once you cross the state line, the culture changes DRAMATICALLY!

Birmingham's southern suburbs have a lot in common with Atlanta's northern suburbs, but that's about it.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,882,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

People make the mistake of thinking that just because Alabama is right next door, it must have more in common with Atlanta's megalopolis than places a bit further away, like Nashville and Charlotte. And that's simply not the case. Once you cross the state line, the culture changes DRAMATICALLY!

Birmingham's southern suburbs have a lot in common with Atlanta's northern suburbs, but that's about it.
birmingham is pretty and i love the countryside, but the most hip place in the whole city is about like downtown marietta, which isn't bad for a suburb, but for the whole metro area to have only one spot like that?

Old 11-16-2013, 02:22 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm pretty sure the culture changes gradually within Atlanta's metro area the closer you get towards Alabama. I wouldn't imagine there's a drastic difference between, say, Carrollton and Anniston. As a metro area, Atlanta isn't culturally homogenous like most metro areas.

The actual state line functions as a political boundary, not a cultural one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta