Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
More Public School Funding Does Not Close Racial Achievement Gaps

For the people who say public schools are not equally funded.

Oh sorry it is from Heritage.
Exactly.What a surprise.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
More Public School Funding Does Not Close Racial Achievement Gaps

For the people who say public schools are not equally funded.

Oh sorry it is from Heritage.
No apology necessary. The Heritage Foundation is a perfectly legitimate and reputable think tank, and an excellent source of public policy analysis. Many here wouldn't know that, though, because as soon as they see the word 'conservative' associated with it, any semblance of intellectual curiosity shuts down faster than the Obamacare website.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:36 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Exactly.What a surprise.
I don't agree with everything the Heritage foundation says but there is no question that public schools here in Atlanta are extremely well funded.

There is still a lot of work to be done to close the achievement gap but throwing more money at our public schools isn't the answer.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't agree with everything the Heritage foundation says but there is no question that public schools here in Atlanta are extremely well funded.

There is still a lot of work to be done to close the achievement gap but throwing more money at our public schools isn't the answer.

I don't pretend to have the answers but I don't believe in abandoning schools or throwing money at a sinking ship but like I said earlier,poorer areas by virtue of their challlenges do need more resorces.

It probably more likely is just having better and more oversight of how and where money is spent.

However some cities/states seem to do better at it than many states and cities in the South

Old 11-10-2013, 12:33 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
NAKED KEYNESIANISM: It's Poverty, Stupid! - Teachers Were Never The Problem

Old 11-10-2013, 01:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No apology necessary. The Heritage Foundation is a perfectly legitimate and reputable think tank, and an excellent source of public policy analysis. Many here wouldn't know that, though, because as soon as they see the word 'conservative' associated with it, any semblance of intellectual curiosity shuts down faster than the Obamacare website.
Funny you should bring up the Obamacare Website when the whole premise of the Affordable Care Act was based on research and a policy recommendation, by guess who - the Heritage Foundation. But now that BO and the democrats used it to solve our nations woeful lack of adequate health care they have amnesia.

Also, the HF has lost quite a bit of credibility of late. As you may remember they were railing against the Senate Republicans producing a compromise bill to stop the recent government shutdown. Orrin Hatch, in particular, and other Republican moderates were quite disturbed with them. In addition they are global warming deniers and took the position we would be greeted as liberators in Iraq. I could go on but you get my drift.

I agree that they are a so called think tank but one that is thoroughly politicized and without an objective and balanced point of view, accordingly, most informed people don't give much credence to their "research".

Just keeping it real.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:52 PM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
Exactly.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:26 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Funny you should bring up the Obamacare Website when the whole premise of the Affordable Care Act was based on research and a policy recommendation, by guess who - the Heritage Foundation. But now that BO and the democrats used it to solve our nations woeful lack of adequate health care they have amnesia.

Also, the HF has lost quite a bit of credibility of late. As you may remember they were railing against the Senate Republicans producing a compromise bill to stop the recent government shutdown. Orrin Hatch, in particular, and other Republican moderates were quite disturbed with them. In addition they are global warming deniers and took the position we would be greeted as liberators in Iraq. I could go on but you get my drift.

I agree that they are a so called think tank but one that is thoroughly politicized and without an objective and balanced point of view, accordingly, most informed people don't give much credence to their "research".

Just keeping it real.
Show me where the Heritage Foundation ever endorsed the Affordable Health Care Act.
"Informed People"; Keeping it real, my fanny.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:14 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Show me where the Heritage Foundation ever endorsed the Affordable Health Care Act.
"Informed People"; Keeping it real, my fanny.
It would appear that at some point in the past, the Heritage Foundation endorsed the individual insurance mandate that is at the heart of the Affordable Health Care Act. I would also appear that they changed their position some time back, as well.

Don't blame Heritage for ObamaCare mandate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta