Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,972 times

Advertisements

Jason Carter, grandson of former President Jimmy Carter plans to run for governor of Georgia* - NY Daily News

He's made education his focus.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
This could prove to be an interesting race depending upon any number of issues.
One in particular will be the outcome of the investigation into what the state ethics board did or did not do in regard to the ethics problems of Deal as well as the timing of the release of the results of that investigation.
As a blog writer at the AJC pointed out today, the top 2 names on the Democratic ticket for races in Georgia in 2014 could be Nunn & Carter.
As a side note, the multi-count indictment of powerful GOP Senator Don Balfour of Snellville is more bad news for the Republicans in the issue of ethics in government. The outcome & timing of his trial could be a force in the election too.
Voters by 2014 will probably have forgotten the spectacularly odd downfall of GOP Speaker of the House Glenn Richardson & his bizaare divorce case antics & suicide ploy but it might be smart for the Democrats to remind the voters of the clean government record of Richardson & his sterling leadership. (snark intended)

Old 11-07-2013, 11:42 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
This could prove to be an interesting race depending upon any number of issues.
One in particular will be the outcome of the investigation into what the state ethics board did or did not do in regard to the ethics problems of Deal as well as the timing of the release of the results of that investigation.
As a blog writer at the AJC pointed out today, the top 2 names on the Democratic ticket for races in Georgia in 2014 could be Nunn & Carter.
As a side note, the multi-count indictment of powerful GOP Senator Don Balfour of Snellville is more bad news for the Republicans in the issue of ethics in government. The outcome & timing of his trial could be a force in the election too.
Voters by 2014 will probably have forgotten the spectacularly odd downfall of GOP Speaker of the House Glenn Richardson & his bizaare divorce case antics & suicide ploy but it might be smart for the Democrats to remind the voters of the clean government record of Richardson & his sterling leadership. (snark intended)
Anyone who's competent knows republicans aren't ethical, but some of them still get the job done.

(no offense guys, I'm right leaning fiscally)

The real question is will there be a large enough minority population to turn the state democrat. That's really all that's in play here - implants from other states, immigrants and population distribution.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM

448 posts, read 870,521 times
Any chance that Carter will also make state funding of MARTA an issue as well?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:57 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
I think Jason Carter has a good shot at winning this thing. Not only does he have the connections of his Grandfather, and will probably get a strong backing from the national Democractic party looking for a major win in 2014, but he is not afraid to play hard. Remember the infamous "47% video" from last year that helped sink Romney's entire campaign? Yeah, that was Jason Carter.

James Carter IV, Jimmy Carter's Grandson, Arranged Mitt Romney Video Release

Plus, and I know this is bad, I like the fact that he doesn't sound like he just fell off the 'tater truck:

Sen. Jason Carter speaks at 2011 Flint River Adventure - YouTube

Edit:

Ooops, my bad, Jason Carter wasn't behind the video. It was one of Jimmy's other grandsons, James IV. http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...-oppo-research

Old 11-07-2013, 11:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Heard about this this morning. Very exciting!!

I was thinking Nunn would be a shoe-in for the Dem nominee, now not so sure.

Regardless though, I am voting in the GOP primary. GA is a red state and I think it is better to vote for a non-Tea Party republican in the GOP primary than vote at all in the Dem primary. I am an independent and I encourage other Dems to do the same as well if they don't have any particular ties to the Dem candidates running. Atlanta is a sea of blue in a red state and even though there are many liberals here, there are just as many conservatives IMO and I don't want to risk a Paul Broun or a Karen Handel getting the GOP ticket and then one of them winning due to all conservatives voting for the GOP ticket.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Any chance that Carter will also make state funding of MARTA an issue as well?
I wouldn't be surprised since he's from Decatur and represents the same district in the State senate. Here's the problem though: It would take a miracle for the State legislature to change it. There are 159 counties that are represented in the Georgia Legislature, so he would face an uphill battle since Metro Atlanta only makes up 20 of those counties and only 2 of those counties actually pay for MARTA.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was thinking Nunn would be a shoe-in for the Dem nominee, now not so sure.
Samantha Nunn is actually running for US Senate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Regardless though, I am voting in the GOP primary. GA is a red state and I think it is better to vote for a non-Tea Party republican in the GOP primary than vote at all in the Dem primary. I am an independent and I encourage other Dems to do the same as well if they don't have any particular ties to the Dem candidates running. Atlanta is a sea of blue in a red state and even though there are many liberals here, there are just as many conservatives IMO and I don't want to risk a Paul Broun or a Karen Handel getting the GOP ticket and then one of them winning due to all conservatives voting for the GOP ticket.
No. This is a bad idea. Mostly because I don't think it's impossible for a Democrat to win in this State, but also because there isn't any non-insane Republicans running for Governor in the upcoming election.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Oh great, another Carter in office. Can't hardly wait.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh great, another Carter in office. Can't hardly wait.
He would be a major improvement over Governor let's do a Deal! I can't wait either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta