Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
"center leaning right"? how in the universe is fox in any way "center leaning right"? i mean, MSNBC is too liberal for me, and i find it obnoxious. but fox is "center right"? if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck...
The truth hurts. Neil is hitting the target with his comments.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
"center leaning right"? how in the universe is fox in any way "center leaning right"? i mean, MSNBC is too liberal for me, and i find it obnoxious. but fox is "center right"? if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck...
Even for the sake of the conversation, if I grant you that Fox is rabidly right wing (which it's not), then that still doesn't mitigate the vast left wing bias from 90% of the media.

Fox is actually center right. The problem is that media in this country have been so biased towards the left and so dominated by liberals, for so long, that when news is more balanced, the difference is striking. Fox actually takes on the left when it's news, as opposed to ignoring or burying stories unfavorable to Democrats.

Many left wingers also confuse talk shows and commentary from news. Fox does have a lot of conservative talk and commentary, and the ratings are wildly positive.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:50 PM

668 posts, read 994,485 times
Mmm-hmm.

Persecution complex - RationalWiki

Old 01-09-2014, 10:56 PM

730 posts, read 827,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Even for the sake of the conversation, if I grant you that Fox is rabidly right wing (which it's not), then that still doesn't mitigate the vast left wing bias from 90% of the media.

Fox is actually center right. The problem is that media in this country have been so biased towards the left and so dominated by liberals, for so long, that when news is more balanced, the difference is striking. Fox actually takes on the left when it's news, as opposed to ignoring or burying stories unfavorable to Democrats.

Many left wingers also confuse talk shows and commentary from news. Fox does have a lot of conservative talk and commentary, and the ratings are wildly positive.
so do you actually have any data or evidence to back this up.... or are you just gonna stick to the typical conservative talking points? I mean my god if ABC, the New York Times, Newsweek, etc. are so liberal, then why are you watching/reading them?

Old 01-10-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
so do you actually have any data or evidence to back this up.... or are you just gonna stick to the typical conservative talking points? I mean my god if ABC, the New York Times, Newsweek, etc. are so liberal, then why are you watching/reading them?
I generally don't watch them...there are a bunch of watchdog groups who do, and I'll leave you with this very telling statistic from 2008:

The Democratic Party received a total donation of $1,020,816, given by 1,160 employees of the three major broadcast television networks (NBC, CBS, ABC), while the Republican Party received only $142,863 via 193 donations. Both of these figures represent donations made in 2008.

Here is the source for that information.

Obama, Democrats got 88 percent of 2008 contributions by TV network execs, writers, reporters UPDATED! | WashingtonExaminer.com

Look at the incidents recently involving NBC doctoring the Trayvon Martin calls and the incident with Dan Rather and his producer. Those are tip of the iceberg types of things. Every day the editors and producers are making decisions about what news to investigate, to write about, to show on TV, and they not only lean left in their coverage, but they omit and cover up stories when it doesn't help their candidate or cause. You see it again and again. Ever watch David Gregory on Meet the Press?

Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
What are you trying to say? Be factual and specific, rather than vague and passive agressive..

Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What are you trying to say? Be factual and specific, rather than vague and passive agressive..
Neil, didn't you know? When facts are beyond your grasp, default to insult and personal attack. It's the oldest trick in the liberal playbook.
I remember a particular contretemps between Lanny Davis and Ann Coulter. Realizing that he had been backed into a corner, Davis lashes out: "You're an annoyance, Ann! No wonder no one in Washington likes you!"
He might as well have been wearing floppy shoes and a big red nose.

Last edited by Iconographer; 01-10-2014 at 06:11 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Where are the specific examples of attacks that were asked for pages ago?

Old 01-10-2014, 07:41 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
Are you nuts? The corporate media is mostly conservative. Period. They might not be actively an agent of the GOP like FOX, but for they ain't liberal by any stretch. I think I noted this earlier as well - a few MSNBC hosts are nothing compared to the conservative nature of the vast majority of the media. And even with MSNBC, they give Joe Scarborough 3 hours every morning to mock liberals.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Are you nuts? The corporate media is mostly conservative. Period. They might not be actively an agent of the GOP like FOX, but for they ain't liberal by any stretch. I think I noted this earlier as well - a few MSNBC hosts are nothing compared to the conservative nature of the vast majority of the media. And even with MSNBC, they give Joe Scarborough 3 hours every morning to mock liberals.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. There's a large body of evidence as to bias in the media which you are welcome to research and review. I don't know what the talking point "corporate media" means (do you expect TV stations to be a small business?), but I assume you believe that some smoke filled room exists where old conservative white men named Chuck are sitting around a table deciding what is shown on TV or written in print media. That's not the case. More often you have rank and file or mid level editors and producers who subtly influence editorial and other content in a left leaning manner.

A great example of bias in media management is former NPR CEO Vivian Schiller who had to step down after she was caught making some ugly remarks about Republicans and Fox News contributor Juan Williams. Again...it's the tip of the iceberg. If you don't believe that media types lean left, then you are sadly deluding yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta