Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times

Advertisements

Ansley: Good point. And the Atlanta ballet too.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
When the Opera left Atlanta for Cobb, no one yelled, screamed and castigated the Cobbians...
What effect did that have? Five extra cars going up I-75? Maybe? Look, I'm not coming down hard on the Opera for sake of being an Opera, but you can't compare the impact of an opera or ballet troupe to a sports team especially when that sports team requires a massive special-use building built just for it.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What effect did that have? Five extra cars going up I-75? Maybe? Look, I'm not coming down hard on the Opera for sake of being an Opera, but you can't compare the impact of an opera or ballet troupe to a sports team especially when that sports team requires a massive special-use building built just for it.
But, Matt, the good citizens of Fulton Co. and Atlanta aren't paying for that new stadium, so, I ask again, why all of the infantile ranting when the city lost two very respectable if not almost world class performing arts organizations? I mean, really? Get upset by losing a bunch of overpaid athletes, but could care less about losing the underpaid artists? Yep. This is what America is coming to and its an intellectual and cultural shame.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
But, Matt, the good citizens of Fulton Co. and Atlanta aren't paying for that new stadium, so, I ask again, why all of the infantile ranting when the city lost two very respectable if not almost world class performing arts organizations? I mean, really? Get upset by losing a bunch of overpaid athletes, but could care less about losing the underpaid artists? Yep. This is what America is coming to and its an intellectual and cultural shame.
It's a very good point. Atlanta is trying to have an image of being a great place for creative people and artists, and of being a place of refinement and culture.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I don't give a flying crap about what is going up there. It's the effects that it brings that's gotten me hot under the collar. Traffic through that area is already the WORST in the Atlanta area. I know, I used to commute through that area, fortunately it was in the reverse direction. Now add gameday traffic to it, even if it's "only" 81 days per year or maybe a few less since not every game is an evening game. If Cobb was planning to build high capacity transit to the site (no, BRT is NOT that!) then I wouldn't be nearly so bothered, but they aren't, and are instead going to turn I-285 across the top-end and I-75 before even reaching the river, into parking lots and do nothing about it. Add to that how shady this deal has been from the start and it's a bad deal for the Metro area being forced upon the rest of us!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 PM

I've driven around the existing stadium games going to my investment property and though it did tie some of the grid up, there were ways around for those who weren't lemmings, even if it did cause a huge line of cars on offramps, the connector, I-20 and some road. And the existing stadium has worse roads than the new stadium. I just don't see how it's going to be the disaster people say it is. The name of the game is alternate ways in, since there's a lot of roads into that area, and I think it'll really help to have signs to guide people so they don't all get off at the same exit.

I think the worst thing is that the flyover to I-285W is super-important to keep Westbound people getting off at Cobb Pkwy from crossing people headed from I-75N to I-285W, and it's something that isn't even ready for funding had they wanted to do it, since it hasn't been studied since decades back, when it was deemed unecessary (yet, there is the dead-end offramp for it, already). So, people who live around me are going to probably be taking Moore's Mill a lot to bypass the whole thing on game days, or taking Marietta Blvd home. Either way, that's going to have a spill-over effect on Atlanta's grid.

I think the state needs to take the reigns here and build that flyover. It's really beyond something that a county government is equipped to handle.

Quote:
Traffic through that area is already the WORST in the Atlanta area.
Actually, North Fulton is the worst. Some people have moved to Smyrna to escape North Fulton traffic, although lately I've been hearing them say how it followed them here.

Barret Parkway and Town Center area is also worse.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I've driven around the existing stadium games going to my investment property and though it did tie some of the grid up, there were ways around for those who weren't lemmings, even if it did cause a huge line of cars on offramps, the connector, I-20 and some road. And the existing stadium has worse roads than the new stadium. I just don't see how it's going to be the disaster people say it is. The name of the game is alternate ways in, since there's a lot of roads into that area, and I think it'll really help to have signs to guide people so they don't all get off at the same exit.

I think the worst thing is that the flyover to I-285W is super-important to keep Westbound people getting off at Cobb Pkwy from crossing people headed from I-75N to I-285W, and it's something that isn't even ready for funding had they wanted to do it, since it hasn't been studied since decades back, when it was deemed unecessary (yet, there is the dead-end offramp for it, already). So, people who live around me are going to probably be taking Moore's Mill a lot to bypass the whole thing on game days, or taking Marietta Blvd home. Either way, that's going to have a spill-over effect on Atlanta's grid.
Again, you're thinking only about yourself. For most people, there will be exactly two roads to carry the traffic, I-75, and Cobb Parkway, with either being needed to access I-285. So how exactly is it worse than the roads Turner has?
Quote:
I think the state needs to take the reigns here and build that flyover. It's really beyond something that a county government is equipped to handle.
Why should the rest of us have to pay for something the county brought on itself? State funding is necessary when there's either a regional benefit, or the project will actually benefit an area, but to fund what amounts to corporate welfare because of a bad decision by a county commission is something else entirely!
Quote:
Actually, North Fulton is the worst. Some people have moved to Smyrna to escape North Fulton traffic, although lately I've been hearing them say how it followed them here.

Barret Parkway and Town Center area is also worse.
You've obviously been on your "back roads" too long and haven't taken I-75 or I-285 during the rush hours. Then you'd know that they are indeed the worst in the Metro area.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Again, you're thinking only about yourself. For most people, there will be exactly two roads to carry the traffic, I-75, and Cobb Parkway, with either being needed to access I-285. So how exactly is it worse than the roads Turner has?
No, there's much more than that. Coming from the East or Northeast:
* Northside Dr/NewNorthside Dr/Riverside Dr exit on I-285 in Sandy Springs
- Power's Ferry to Windy Hill,
- Power's Ferry to Windy Ridge,
- Power's Ferry to Aker's Mill
* North Fulton -> Roswell Rd -> Power's Ferry (see above)
* North Fulton -> Abernathy (Sandy Springs) -> Paper's Mill -> Johnson's Ferry -> Lower Roswell -> Terrell Mill -> Leland Dr extension
* Overshoot Cobb Parkway anywhere from the Northeast on Roswell Rd or Delk Rd or similar, take S. Cobb Dr or Atlanta Rd to Spring Rd (you can include Fairground Rd or Franklin Rd or others for alternate routes)

Coming from the South:
* Get off at Moore's Mill, take Marietta Blvd to Atlanta Rd to Spring Rd
* Take I-20 or Langford Parkway to I-285 to S. Cobb Dr up to Concord Rd to Spring Rd to stadium
* Any of the above to Windy Hill
* Get off on Cumberland Blvd just entering Cobb, take Interstate North or Cumberland Blvd
* Get off at Mount Param, go up Northside Pkwy, do similar
* Get off at West Paces Ferry, same thing
* Downtown -> Marietta St -> Marietta Blvd (same as earlier, to Atlanta Rd)
* Any Marietta Blvd description, instead take Cumberland Pkwy
* From Atlanta Rd, instead of Spring Rd, take Campbell Rd to Spring Rd
* From Atlanta Rd, instead of Spring Rd, take Paces Ferry to Cumberland Parkway, or Spring Hill Pkwy to Mt Wilkinson to Cumberland Pkwy
* Try your luck on Paces Mill from Cobb Pkwy or Paces Ferry from West Paces Ferry and pray you don't get blocked by a train in Vinings village, then take the overlook over to Cumberland Pkwy or stay on Paces Ferry to Cumberland Pkwy or to Spring Hill Pkwy

Coming from the North/Northwest:
* Bypass Marietta to South Cobb Dr or Atlanta Rd
* Bypass Marietta to Powder Springs Street to Windy Hill
* South Cobb Dr through Smyrna or South Cobb Dr to Delk Rd, cut over to Terrell Mill Rd

West end:
* North Ave to James Jackson Parkway to S. Cobb Dr (same Rd)
* Donnell Lee Howowell to Veteran's Memorial to Oakdale Rd or Riverview Rd to South Cobb Dr -or- Atlanta Rd
* Same as above but to Fontaine Rd, reverse commute on E/W connector

From Buckhead: Moore's Mill, Peachtree Battle, West Wesley, Power's Ferry, Northside Dr, Mt Paran, New Northside all work. Use habersham to get between certain roads.

Other options for Sandy Springs or Perimeter CID beyond Abernathy or Roswell Rd: Riverside Dr from downtown Sandy Springs or Mt Vernon from CID provides options for people from Sandy Springs.

Well, I got lazy at this point, but I'm sure I missed some.

Edit: I did. If coming from Southwest or I-85 on the South end, there's also Fulton Industrial and Camp Creek parkway.

Quote:
You've obviously been on your "back roads" too long and haven't taken I-75 or I-285 during the rush hours. Then you'd know that they are indeed the worst in the Metro area.
I typically take I-75 to I-285 because it's better for the car than potholes throughout industrial parts of the city. My commute on the highway to/from downtown is typically a respectable 25 min, somewhat off-peak. I-75 is usually not backed up until after I-285, and I slip onto I-285W. If it's backed up to Cumberland Blvd, I take Cumberland Blvd and take surface roads in. I use back roads in Atlanta (Moore's Mill, Marietta Blvd, Chattahoochee Ave, etc) either when I-75 is horribly backed up deep into Atlanta (rare). that's 20 minutes. If I'm in a weird mood, I take I-20 to I-285, which is actually the fastest way. It's typically even faster than either of the others so long as I don't get backed up heading down to Whitehall St on surface roads.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-05-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 PM

I should add that I-85 on the North end is also worse than I-75.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 PM

The list I gave above can probably be better organized into a sort of colored grid on a map showing main arterials people can move. E.g. W. Wesley - you can take take it to Moore's Mill to Atlanta Rd to Spring Rd or Paces Ferry or Cumberland Pkwy without even needing to do more than cross Cobb Pkwy at some point. Roads like Windy Hill and Windy Ridge and Interstate North provide back ways in.

Anyone driving in metro Atlanta should know better than to take the freeway without knowing the surface roads as a backup, and knowing alternate surface roads. I know the reality is that people still pile on the freeway when they don't have to.

However, even if they do, there's absolutely no reason they need to go within 1 mile of the I-75/I-285 interchange. There's multiple surface road bypasses around it in the Smyrna/Vinings/Cumberland area. The most obvious one is the loop which was paid for in the 80s by the CID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta