Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Found some hints of it here: Lakeside cityhood bill stalls | www.wsbradio.com

Quote:
Sen. Fran Millar (R-Atlanta), who introduced the Lakeside bill, says organizers of that effort and those from Tucker came together Tuesday and agreed to divide the area with Lakeside getting the mall and Tucker getting Northlake Festival across the street.
Sounds like Lakeside and Tucker have worked something out between themselves.

But what I found even more interesting is this:

Quote:
Meantime, interim DeKalb County CEO Lee May, who had asked legislators to hold off another year on any cityhood proposal, has issued an executive order creating a 15-member task force that will meet over the next nine months to come back with its own map for the remaining unincorporated areas.

“Let’s just figure out how every parcel of property in DeKalb County can be included in one city or another and then engage the public, too, to give them choices on what city, what community they will want to be a part of,” he says.
I read that as the DeKalb CEO wanting to put together a plan to incorporate all of DeKalb! (Which I am a fan of) Anyone else getting that from his comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Found some hints of it here: Lakeside cityhood bill stalls | www.wsbradio.com

Sounds like Lakeside and Tucker have worked something out between themselves.

But what I found even more interesting is this:

I read that as the DeKalb CEO wanting to put together a plan to incorporate all of DeKalb! (Which I am a fan of) Anyone else getting that from his comments?

Tucker should get all of the Northlake Commercial/Business Area--and Tucker should incorporate.

CoA should without a doubt annex Druid Hills and Emory.

The rest of the area in question (lesser Briarcliff, lesser Lakeside, Lavista Hils, etc., etc...) could then do one of the following options:

1. Incorporate.
2. Incorporate most or some of the area--then existing cities annex some of the peripheral neighborhoods.
2. Total annexation by existing cities--with most of it going to CoA. The northern parts to Chamblee and Doraville. DeKalb Industrial Way and Farmers' Market area to CoD and Avondale Estates.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
The map.

https://twitter.com/RepScottHolcomb/...29725317783552

Old 03-14-2014, 05:48 AM

Interesting:

Got map? - Briarcliff chides Lakeside (UPDATE) - Decaturish

Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 AM

More...

New map for Lakeside, Tucker cityhood emerges - Reporter Newspapers

*The map still shows the Evansdale Area and the Livsey Area as part of "Lakeside." Evansdale and Livsey should be a part of Tucker (especially Livsey...the Livsey Area is so Tucker).

And all of the Northlake Area should go to Tucker as well.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:53 AM

More on the "compromise"...

The ‘compromise’ | Say "NO" to the City of Lakeside

Old 03-14-2014, 05:57 AM

And finally (another rumor)...

Rumor: Tucker & Lakeside to Combine? - Speak Out - Tucker, GA Patch

Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Aries

There are some who think that it was folks in the Evansdale community who pushed for the Lakeside area to incorporate. I actually don't think this is the total picture (I believe former state rep Kevin Levitas is the one who started the effort and was quickly joined by some from Evansdale.) Evansdale goes to Lakeside High and before that went to Henderson, many of the public school parents, at least, don't associate with Tucker at all.

While Levitas and other leaders of the Lakeside effort have done their best to keep the school issue out of the discussion, the reality is that this is primarily a city designed around a school district and nothing else. The latest map, leaves out Pleasantdale which feeds into Lakeside High.

The folks from Midvale and Livsey are probably pushing to be in Lakeside because of the slim possibility of a school system. Tucker High is not a school that people are very excited about currently. Lakeside High (which has more than its share of problems, too) has better test scores and is generally more highly regarded.

What a mess.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
I am a fan of this compromise map.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I am a fan of this compromise map.
I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but it'd definitely preferable to any previous Lakeside map. It'd be better if Lakeside removed itself entirely from the Livsey area.

I wouldn't put it past Lakeside to incorporate and then immediately start annexing the Midvale and Henderson areas that were in their previous maps before Tucker has a chance to incorporate. Watch for that to happen.

Since parks was one of the three city services Lakeside intended to provide, and they've now handed Henderson Park back to Tucker, they don't really have any parks to speak of. So, now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta