Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 03:33 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The perimeter is not very walkable. Yes, there are sidewalks, but they only connect to strip malls surrounded by parking lots. Not very ped friendly.
I never said that is walkable, I said "pedestrian-friendly" which is a difference in terminology. The Perimeter Center Development is quite pedestrian friendly development for it to be a large mixed used development in the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's a horrible mess.
Quantify this? I mean there are portions of Buckhead that are typical suburban retail, but when compared to regional centers in the Metro Atlanta and the aformentioned Tysons district in Metro DC of similar caliber, it is far from being a "horrible mess". The area referenced in this map is a strong start of something that can be see more measure to increase density with time. Anyways, I can take you to other Southern major metros with similar districts that are the epitome of "horrible messes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, there's this from a couple of years ago:

Buckhead Pedestrian Connectivity Study.

Also, the updated SPI-12 legislation from last year is designed to break up superblocks.

If I'm not mistaken, GDOT specifically designed Lenox Road as a state highway (SR 141) when they rammed GA400 through the middle of Buckhead.

Supposedly, however, things like the PATH 400 trail and the gateway project will mitigate that somewhat. The new MARTA pedestrian bridge is also scheduled to open this spring.

via Flickr
i definitely like that.

i had an idea that, while it's very much in the tradition of atlanta, it would be expensive and would require a lot of funding from the city or federal government, but could potentially be a solution to the problem.

a lot of the area is depressed below the peachtree street/lenox road level. most of the buildings (excluding terminus) do not have active use or windowed spaces on the bottom floors. in addition, there are a lot of parking decks here and there that are not integrated well together.

my idea would be to demolish all of the existing parking decks and raise the de-facto "ground level" of the building by one or two floors, and building an atlantic station style parking deck that would wrap around all of the buildings below it. you could have a tunnel under GA 400 connecting the two parking decks along where the new marta pedestrian walkway is.

more later

Old 12-24-2013, 06:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
I don't know...it would require a complete re-development...way too much development atm in that super block. It's amazing Buckhead has gotten so much development with such a terrible street grid that can easily lock up and create massive traffic jams. Incredible.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:17 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
a lot of the area is depressed below the peachtree street/lenox road level. most of the buildings (excluding terminus) do not have active use or windowed spaces on the bottom floors.
Beginning in the mid-90s all new buildings were required to have active uses at street level. Offhand I can't really think of any that don't. The recent SPI update has even more specific rules about fenestration, doors opening to the sidewalk, and the like.

Of course the city isn't going to spend money on streetscapes so this sort of stuff has to be done by private developers, the CIDs and GDOT. It's my understanding that several older buildings from the 70s and 80s are being updated to a more pedestrian friendly presence.

Last edited by arjay57; 12-24-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 07:57 PM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Buckhead is a very well put together pedestrian-friendly, regional center in the metro area.
Speech Aladeen - YouTube

Old 12-25-2013, 04:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Quote:
Quantify this? I mean there are portions of Buckhead that are typical suburban retail, but when compared to regional centers in the Metro Atlanta and the aformentioned Tysons district in Metro DC of similar caliber, it is far from being a "horrible mess".
It's not an urban core, it's the running away of downtown and setting up shop in an area not designed to be a downtown. Yes, it's a massive, mess. While it's great to have effort in this regard, the pockets here and there don't make the area that much less of a mess.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:09 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's not an urban core, it's the running away of downtown and setting up shop in an area not designed to be a downtown.
But what are you gonna do?

Downtown businesses started moving to Midtown and Buckhead (and beyond) half a century ago. It was a pattern all over the country, and many considered it the wave of the future. Some cities decentralized even more than we did.

On the upside, many of the power players in Midtown and Buckhead are the same folks who hold the cards in downtown. Look over the roster of the downtown CID and you'll find that the majority are still camped out in the city limits. They are committed to downtown and have been working hard to make sure it stays viable.

That's not true everywhere. We're fortunate in that our business community has always been very supportive of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: