Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSleepInGeorgia View Post
I signed my lease on the way to work, and there is not a copier in the home, he said that he would go to the store and make a copy. I moved in two weeks after signing the lease and asked him for the copy of it. He still didn't have a physical copy, and said that if I gave him my email he would email it to me so that I can have it until he gets to a copier. I am finding more and more since I have been here a month that he does not follow thru with anything that he says. Not about fixing anything, not about that he wont have his girlfriend over anymore, not that he will do his share of cleaning the home, nothing.
I would just up and move after documenting all the hell and then sitting down with the acting landlord and going over the list with him as to why I am moving out NOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:38 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,963 times
I hope you can move. Not a fun situation. I bought my first condo (long time ago) in part to get away from those same kind of sounds.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:44 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,824,086 times
If the acting landlord's bedroom antics are causing you this much distress, then break your lease. I doubt it will be free, but clearly, you don't feel you can live under these conditions. I'd also suggest your next place be without roommates.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,364 times
Don't share walls with people

Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,657 times
Well, if I had been you, I would never have even THOUGHT of moving into a house with TWO STRANGE (or not strange) MEN. That is rather risky behavior for your own safety. One of these days something far worse than getting woken up in the early morning hours is going to happen to you.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 PM

2,025 posts, read 1,317,406 times
This is a shot in the dark, but do you know for sure that the acting landlord is authorized to sublet, and that he has correctly executed the contract, and that he isn't just pocketing your payments?
It's possible that you don't actually have a contract and can just walk off if you want.
As I said, it may be just a shot in the dark.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 PM

17 posts, read 23,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I sympathize with your situation but that is absurd. I've never signed a lease (nor would I) where there were not two copies present that both parties signed. I hope you can find a solution to your problem but you definitely learned a lesson for next time.
Yes I definitely did learn a lesson. I have never rented a place before. I have owned my own place since I was 19 and never needed to rent.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Well, if I had been you, I would never have even THOUGHT of moving into a house with TWO STRANGE (or not strange) MEN. That is rather risky behavior for your own safety. One of these days something far worse than getting woken up in the early morning hours is going to happen to you.
Sharing a home with two strangers whether it be men or women is not uncommon, it's usually the preferred way to rent for most college students and I don't go into any home with out personal protection in many forms.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
This is a shot in the dark, but do you know for sure that the acting landlord is authorized to sublet, and that he has correctly executed the contract, and that he isn't just pocketing your payments?
It's possible that you don't actually have a contract and can just walk off if you want.
As I said, it may be just a shot in the dark.
I was thinking the same thing, because he asked me if I thought his bank would cash the deposit money order or put a hold on it for him to put it in his bank account. He still will not provide me with a copy of my lease. I do know that since he is not the owner of the home that the owners name and address has to be on the lease and it was not. I also know that with subletting in GA that rent deposits has to be put into a separate account and can not have co mingling of funds, either by a surety deposit or an interest baring savings account. And By reading up on laws when he subletted the house he by law was supposed to give us a copy of the master lease (his lease with the owner of the home) which I have yet to see that either. I have documentation and proof of him harassing me every day for a week the week before rent was due. I have proof of him, eavesdropping on the other tenants and my own conversation because he felt we were talking about him behind his back. I have texts of him demanding that I go no where after work and come back so we can have a meeting. Then he tells me that he has deemed me the cook of the house and that he should not as landlord be disrespected by having to cook for himself or clean up after himself that me and the other tenant are soley responsible for the cleaning and dishes and trash and he does not have to do any of them. He refuses to fix the shower or contact the owner to have the shower fixed so we only get hot water for about 5 mins to take a shower.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:15 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
He sounds like a power-tripping loser and I would get out of there ASAP (maybe pool your resources with the other roommate and get a place before you give him notice?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta