Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 PM

81 posts, read 92,251 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I'm planning a possible (very likely) move from Dallas to Atlanta within the next few weeks but I wanted some input on where I should reside. I'm a 29 single guy that loves the nightlife in Midtown (gay bars lol) so I need to be close to the action. I went on my final interview today at the location in Alpharetta and I decided that moving that far out is unrealistic.

My budget is around 800-950/mo and the places that I was looking at are outside of my budget. I was looking at Five East Apartments but I don't think it's close enough to Buckhead and Midtown. My desire would be to be within walking distance of the MARTA train station if possible. I do know that MARTA doesn't go into Alpharetta but I did see a park/ride location off Winward Parkway so maybe that's an option?

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Unless your Office is next to the Park/Ride Windward Marta is not going to be much of a option (For the express Bus, The Rush Hour Park/Ride bus does do a Biz loop so If your office is there you might be good. )

http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedfile...es/pdf/143.pdf

http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedfile...-143%20CS4.pdf
There is a Marta "Local" bus but it takes a long time to get from North Springs to Alpharetta, as it winds thru Roswell/Alpharetta.

2nd Option might be keeping a beater Car at the Park/Ride (Windward) , or NorthSpings Station (Preferred place to park it) you get 1st 24 hours free at NorthSpring, so you would have to pay to park it over the weekends if you don't/Can't park it near your Apt. There is some volume going northbound in the morning on GA400 but its not to bad.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:05 PM

The first option may work. My job is along Windward Pkwy.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Got the job! So I'm definitely coming down so any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:54 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Try a free apartment locating service like Promove.

Considering your choice locations and budget, I'd probably go with Lindbergh because it is a pretty happening spot and you'd be close to Midtown.

Midtown and Buckhead can be pricey. It's not like you cannot find a place that is relatively inexpensive but usually there's a problem and reason why they cost less.

Now, I do have a friend who lives at an apt on Monroe Drive in Midtown across from Ansley Mall. I think the name of it is Ansley Place. It's not the newest complex ever, but the units are spacious, affordable, and the grounds are well maintained. I'd call that area very gay friendly. There's also a club walking distance (around the back side of the mall) that I visited with him. BTW, I'm not a lesbian but I had a great time. I don't recall the name of it, but I think he said it was the oldest gay club in Atlanta. The crowd was a mix of 20-somethings to 60-somethings. He called it Heaven's Waiting Room which I found amusing and is likely responsible for why I can't remember the real name.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:51 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
Your best option is lindbergh.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 PM

37 posts, read 59,856 times
I would have to say Dunwoody......Your commute from Lindbergh without a car going all the way North Springs and then having to get off and get on the bus, it may be very stressful. I would rather be closer to work because realistically, you can't do a public transportation commute to the club. Even driving, Lindbergh to Windward is stressful and the return home would be worse.

Public transportation is okay intown for everything (it's actually comparable, or maybe a little better than Dallas) but not great if you have to travel outside of the perimeter for anything. In my opinion, if driving isn't an issue for you, i'd invest in a little "bucket" as soon as possible.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Try a free apartment locating service like Promove.

Considering your choice locations and budget, I'd probably go with Lindbergh because it is a pretty happening spot and you'd be close to Midtown.

Midtown and Buckhead can be pricey. It's not like you cannot find a place that is relatively inexpensive but usually there's a problem and reason why they cost less.

Now, I do have a friend who lives at an apt on Monroe Drive in Midtown across from Ansley Mall. I think the name of it is Ansley Place. It's not the newest complex ever, but the units are spacious, affordable, and the grounds are well maintained. I'd call that area very gay friendly. There's also a club walking distance (around the back side of the mall) that I visited with him. BTW, I'm not a lesbian but I had a great time. I don't recall the name of it, but I think he said it was the oldest gay club in Atlanta. The crowd was a mix of 20-somethings to 60-somethings. He called it Heaven's Waiting Room which I found amusing and is likely responsible for why I can't remember the real name.
That club sounds like Berkhart's but I could be wrong.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
I sometimes do the commute from Buckhead to Alpharetta (exit 10 Old Milton) and it only takes me about 25 minutes. The trip home will take longer, probably about 35 min. That is of course commuting by car. I have never taken MARTA that far.

Lindbergh will be doable on your budget. I have friends that have previously lives at Post Lindbergh and Tuscany. Nice complexes. A little older, but well maintained, especially a Post property.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta