Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 AM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times

Advertisements

The key to all of these developments is to not provide parking for everyone. This project will be at a MARTA station, so parking should be limited to paying customers and commuters. The problem with a lot of these new developments is that parking cost are socialize by all renters or owners in the case of condos. Parking should be a stand alone product. My condo has 2 parking spaces that rents for $300 a month and rising, almost 1/3 of my mortgage payment. I would have gladly given up those spaces if the sales price of my unit was cut by a third. I still think that daily parking should be free for MARTA riders, but retail and residences should pay to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Agree with comments above. We got to stop subsidizing parking. Parking takes up a lot of land and harms communities.

Also, additional coverage: Builder Picked for Edgewood/Candler Park MARTA Mixed-Use - MARTA Matters - Curbed Atlanta

Quote:
"We're listening to what metro Atlantans want when it comes to transportation and quality of life. Fewer and fewer people are willing to spend hours in traffic, and they want the convenience of leaving work and getting home without the aggravation of sitting on the interstate."

Old 07-11-2014, 08:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
I do know during the NPU-O meetings 2 years ago, the neighbors want to preserve on-street parking. So that is a way to provide the retail with parking. I'll never understand some people's opposition to on-street parking.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I do know during the NPU-O meetings 2 years ago, the neighbors want to preserve on-street parking. So that is a way to provide the retail with parking. I'll never understand some people's opposition to on-street parking.
Well, you are blocking people's view and taking up their visual elbow room. Suppose someone has a nice yard and somebody else comes along and parks a POC car in front of it -- is that fair?

There's also the question of crime. If just anybody can park in front of your house, what's to stop them from boosting your stuff and driving off with it?

All that being said, I favor on street parking in many neighborhoods.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, you are blocking people's view and taking up their visual elbow room.
Your "visual elbow room" ends at your property line
Quote:
Suppose someone has a nice yard and somebody else comes along and parks a POC car in front of it -- is that fair?
Yes, because it's a public road.
Quote:
There's also the question of crime. If just anybody can park in front of your house, what's to stop them from boosting your stuff and driving off with it?
This has to be one of the sillier things you've said. What is the correlation between on-street parking and theft? What's to stop them boosting your stuff and driving off with it from your driveway? I don't even get what you're getting at here.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, you are blocking people's view and taking up their visual elbow room. Suppose someone has a nice yard and somebody else comes along and parks a POC car in front of it -- is that fair?

All that being said, I favor on street parking in many neighborhoods.
Your comments are so absurd, but I have to give it to you they are funny and memorable.... I was walking down Pharr Rd an hour ago and saw a place called "Elbow Room" and I thought about you. Well done sir! The irony of this, is that Streets of Buckhead, or whatever it's called is towering all over this little eatery. No Elbow Room for Elbow Room.....

Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Quote:
Suppose someone has a nice yard and somebody else comes along and parks a POC car in front of it -- is that fair?
Yes, because it's a public road.
That may be true legally but it's sort of a deterrent to improving one's property. Who wants to knock themselves out creating a beautiful lawn and garden if any yahoo on the planet can pull up and park his heap directly in front of it?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I'm not sure Atlanta's quite ready to go car-free yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
If you build it without parking, you automatically exclude a large number of your potential customers.
There is a market out there for this. Maybe not 100% parking free, but cheaper apartments that do not have a parking space. Make a parking space a premium feature. I would never personally use this, but I know there is a good sized group of people that this would appeal to.

Plus the development could use it for hella marketing.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Default Atlantic Cities Article

The Atlanta Transit Agency's Big Plan to Convert Parking Lots into Housing - CityLab

Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Very exciting article.

I didn't know they had to replace every space removed, that kind of sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta