Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Some (not a lot) people from East Point do claim SWATS though. And even though the APD zones stop when the city limits ends of course, some folks outside of those areas still claim the APD zones as well. Like I knew people from the Cleveland Ave part of East Point that claimed Zone 3, and I also knew people from the part of East Point that is near Greenbriar Mall that claimed Zone 4 and the SWATS. But then you have folks from the Washington Rd part of East Point or College Park and they just claim Southside, no Zone 4 or SWATS. But then back in the day I knew some dudes from the old Boat Rock Projects that used to claim Westside. There really is not a rule of thumb to it. Its pretty confusing actually, and really only something that someone would understand growing up in Atlanta and dealing with people from these areas or living in them.

Mostly people from East Point of College Park just claim either East Point or College Park, they pretty much stand on their own 2 feet.

To me the SWATS are simply from south of MLK to Camp Creek.

Claiming Zones and sides in NW and SW Atlanta is actually a dying thing, these young kids now just claim 3 and 4 letter sets and gangs. When I was growing up it was all about zones, wards and sides. Like Boulevard was the 4th Ward, Simpson Rd was the 6th Ward, Techwood Homes and Herndon Homes area was considered the 5th Ward and then of course Zone 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Now these kids just claim stuff like YYC, YM, GMPL, R20, R60, ABG, SMM etc.....
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to comment on the make-up of the S.W.A.T.S. I know a lot of people refer to it as Camp Creek to MLK local like you said and / or connect to Zone 4. But if you really think about it, it has never been defined. Most people think of SWATs as a Greenbriar, Ben Hill, Cascade near I-285 location because a few rappers from the area always hollered out SWATS and it was closely associated it with Mays High School (I'm also from Cambellton Rd). However, S.W.A.T.S. is really anything in SouthWest Atlanta and that incorporates any address in the city with a "SW" on it. That is all the way from Greenbriar to West End, including Mechanicsville and Pittsburgh which have SW addresses. Additionally, Washington High School has a SW address. As a matter of fact, the Atlanta S.W.A.T.S. Rising organization is based in the West End. In the MLK vicinity, SWATS stops when you cross MLK. For example, it includes Adamsville, Peyton Forest neighborhood, etc., but end at MLK. NW Atlanta officially starts when you go behind MLK into Bolton Rd, Harper, Delmar (9th Ward), Collier Heights, Hightower / Hamilton (Douglass High), etc. Lot of folks like to exclude Adamsville from the SWATs, although it is very Zone 4 and SWATS. Allen Temple is also considered the SWATS and it changes to Northwest Atlanta and Zone 1 right when you cross the tracks into Collier and Delmar.

Boat Rock was definitely the Westside as its address is "SW". No address is just "W". So the SW locations get to use the Westside term as much as the NW folks on Bankhead, Simpson, etc. Hell, all my folks from Deerfield on Cambellton, Ben Hill, Cascade, etc. still call themselves Westside although they are SW.

I agree w/ you on the EPoint folks near Greenbriar claiming Zone 4 and SWATS. That part of EP is just an extension of Atlanta. Similar to the Migos being from Liburn (metro Atlanta) claiming Atl and the Northside of the A, although the Northside of the A really stops at Zone 2 and Buckhead. I have also seen folks from the Cleveland Ave area of EP claiming Zone 3 since it is so close to that part of Atlanta. While Mechanicsville is in the SWATs, they are part of Zone 3 and never really claim the SWATS. Although I've seen folks from John Hope area / Castleberry claiming the SWATs, which is accurate.

And that area of Camp Creek by I-285 is really East Point (Camp Creek Marketplace). Changes to Atlanta after that.

In my view, I think the main reason why SWATS became subjectively associated with the Greenbriar, Campbellton, Cascade areas is because all of the other neighborhoods in the SWATS have long history. Mechnicsville, Pittsburgh, West End, and Adamsville are historic. Folks from those areas call out their hoods instead of SWATs. I remember my friend from Washington High telling me that school was located in Northwest Atlanta because so many people associate the school w/ Ashby / Lowry, Simpson, Fifth Ward, etc. He was shocked it was considered SW (until you cross the street).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 07:07 AM

52 posts, read 48,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleee View Post
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to comment on the make-up of the S.W.A.T.S. I know a lot of people refer to it as Camp Creek to MLK local like you said and / or connect to Zone 4. But if you really think about it, it has never been defined. Most people think of SWATs as a Greenbriar, Ben Hill, Cascade near I-285 location because a few rappers from the area always hollered out SWATS and it was closely associated it with Mays High School (I'm also from Cambellton Rd). However, S.W.A.T.S. is really anything in SouthWest Atlanta and that incorporates any address in the city with a "SW" on it. That is all the way from Greenbriar to West End, including Mechanicsville and Pittsburgh which have SW addresses. Additionally, Washington High School has a SW address. As a matter of fact, the Atlanta S.W.A.T.S. Rising organization is based in the West End. In the MLK vicinity, SWATS stops when you cross MLK. For example, it includes Adamsville, Peyton Forest neighborhood, etc., but end at MLK. NW Atlanta officially starts when you go behind MLK into Bolton Rd, Harper, Delmar (9th Ward), Collier Heights, Hightower / Hamilton (Douglass High), etc. Lot of folks like to exclude Adamsville from the SWATs, although it is very Zone 4 and SWATS. Allen Temple is also considered the SWATS and it changes to Northwest Atlanta and Zone 1 right when you cross the tracks into Collier and Delmar.

Boat Rock was definitely the Westside as its address is "SW". No address is just "W". So the SW locations get to use the Westside term as much as the NW folks on Bankhead, Simpson, etc. Hell, all my folks from Deerfield on Cambellton, Ben Hill, Cascade, etc. still call themselves Westside although they are SW.

I agree w/ you on the EPoint folks near Greenbriar claiming Zone 4 and SWATS. That part of EP is just an extension of Atlanta. Similar to the Migos being from Liburn (metro Atlanta) claiming Atl and the Northside of the A, although the Northside of the A really stops at Zone 2 and Buckhead. I have also seen folks from the Cleveland Ave area of EP claiming Zone 3 since it is so close to that part of Atlanta. While Mechanicsville is in the SWATs, they are part of Zone 3 and never really claim the SWATS. Although I've seen folks from John Hope area / Castleberry claiming the SWATs, which is accurate.

And that area of Camp Creek by I-285 is really East Point (Camp Creek Marketplace). Changes to Atlanta after that.

In my view, I think the main reason why SWATS became subjectively associated with the Greenbriar, Campbellton, Cascade areas is because all of the other neighborhoods in the SWATS have long history. Mechnicsville, Pittsburgh, West End, and Adamsville are historic. Folks from those areas call out their hoods instead of SWATs. I remember my friend from Washington High telling me that school was located in Northwest Atlanta because so many people associate the school w/ Ashby / Lowry, Simpson, Fifth Ward, etc. He was shocked it was considered SW (until you cross the street).
great post man, you explained that really well 👍🏾
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta