Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Would also drive the Cost up probably 50% or more to do it on Weeknights. The Setup / Break down would consume a huge work time, that has to be paid for.

Yes, While it will lose choice riders to do all the single track ever weekend. The revenue from the choice rider probably would not cover the added cost of doing only when MARTA is closed from 2a-4a . Even if you start after 8p, you would start to lose you non/Choice rider as there rides would take 2x longer, and they would start looking for alternatives
But those choice riders become regular riders unless they have a bad experience. The non-choice riders will also swear off the system at the first opportunity. Better just to have one big inconvenience once and get it over with, than to keep up bad service for going on 12 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Weekend single-tracking for routine maintenance is a frequent occurrence in any metro system; just google "WMATA single tracking" or "Miami metrorail single tracking" or any other transit system; they all do it. The alternative is deferring even more maintenance which I think Atlanta has done quite enough of in the past couple of decades.

Edit: Hell, WMATA's doing single-tracking this weekend.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I won't be elated until they cancel ALL single-tracking on the weekends and give up the charade of working toward "finishing" it.
Here in NY they do all repairs on weekends. Lots of trains station are shut down people rerouted further from where they live service is extra slow. Especially if you live off Q and B line. There is no B trains running on weekends only 1 train running and that's the Q and it only makes local stops until it gets to manhatten. Your talking about a 45 minute commute if you live say sheepshead bay,etc. Its never going to stop. They do this too in DC. 20 min waits on the weekend

Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Weekend track is the most efficient way of performing maintenance. Why are we on here second guessing this idea, when people a lot smarter than us with more experience in transit systems have done research and decided this is the best way to do work?
How come no one is attacking GDOT when they do weekend maintenance?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Weekend track is the most efficient way of performing maintenance. Why are we on here second guessing this idea, when people a lot smarter than us with more experience in transit systems have done research and decided this is the best way to do work?
So you trust the "experts" 100%? A lot of people, myself included I must admit, didn't think Beverly Scott was doing too badly with MARTA...then Keith Parker came along. Just because we're doing something we always have, doesn't automatically make it the best way
Quote:
How come no one is attacking GDOT when they do weekend maintenance?
Want me to start the topic?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Quote:
So you trust the "experts" 100%?
This is starting to remind me of Stephen Colbert's roast of GWB... trusting your gut, not facts. Facts tell us that most every transit system in the world experiences single-tracking... but my gut tells me single-tracking is lame!

Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Kudos to MARTA for not making this weekend suck! There is a good chance I will make the choice to use it this weekend.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
So you trust the "experts" 100%? A lot of people, myself included I must admit, didn't think Beverly Scott was doing too badly with MARTA...then Keith Parker came along. Just because we're doing something we always have, doesn't automatically make it the best way

Want me to start the topic?
Tell me one heavy rail that doesn't single track or cut service on weekends..

Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Made the choice to ride tonight. Love the frequency, seems more than even the new norm. I think I'm on a 10 car set too.

They're not fooling around. Hope this keeps up through the weekend so they can leave a positive impression on the occasional riders that will inevitably be using the train this weekend.

Edit: it was only an 8 car set. And damn, they need to remodel Five Points! So so so outdated and worn looking

Last edited by tikigod311; 07-03-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 04:31 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
I saw where they are taking extra steps to improve service for all the runners participating in tomorrow's road race. And, best of luck to all of you racers out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta