Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:10 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times

Advertisements

Smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:57 AM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
I don't know that I could support throwing up more and more parking garages but I do question the availability of alternative means of getting to HJIA, when I lived in Rockdale County I used to commute there every day, 90% of the time I used MARTA as I did not want to deal with parking - but on the same token taking MARTA there from Rockdale (leaving the house by 5am, driving about 30 - 40 minutes to Indian Creek and taking the first train out) was not cakewalk and it had to be done perfectly or I was going to be late. If transit systems had more extensive coverage throughout the metro I could easily support the idea but right now I can't say I feel they're ready for it.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I don't know that I could support throwing up more and more parking garages but I do question the availability of alternative means of getting to HJIA, when I lived in Rockdale County I used to commute there every day, 90% of the time I used MARTA as I did not want to deal with parking - but on the same token taking MARTA there from Rockdale (leaving the house by 5am, driving about 30 - 40 minutes to Indian Creek and taking the first train out) was not cakewalk and it had to be done perfectly or I was going to be late. If transit systems had more extensive coverage throughout the metro I could easily support the idea but right now I can't say I feel they're ready for it.
As part of the region transit bills, SRTA/GRTA would implement service improvements, which would include service to the Airport from P&R lots.

https://saportareport.com/grtas-draf...-major-routes/

Old 03-22-2018, 01:30 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As part of the region transit bills, SRTA/GRTA would implement service improvements, which would include service to the Airport from P&R lots.

I was all for this when it came out, but I'm actually concerned it is set up for failure.

The problem is splitting up people using it for airport traveler access and people who are working.

The travel access I think will go underused from people not figuring it out, etc... But also because there are issues with overnight parking, both in public planning on providing enough parking with very little transit use given how long the car occupies a space and in terms of consumers feeling safe leaving their car in that area with limited security overnight.

It seems it is best if we choose between travelers parking @ Sugarloaf or the airport... it is better at the airport. Atleast then they are paying for it. It is more convenient door-to-door. The parking amount still exists... it just shifts location.

The other problem is catering to travelers could greatly increase the cost of the route. They are more likely to be finicky about frequent schedules, since they aren't going to/from the same place at the same time. They are going at odd hours throughout the day and will want more flexibility on their return.

Commuter buses won't do this cheaply.

But the real reason I'm concerned about these routes, especially Cobb and Gwinnett/Sugarloaf is this map:

This map is where people work that live in that drawn polygon. Most airport workers that live in Gwinnett South of there are unlikely to drive up there to get to the airport, but I think most in the polygon could consider driving to the P&R a feasible option.

The issue is the demand is weak. It isn't just getting people to choose the commuters to choose the bus, it is simply weak demand.

It seems like Cumberland, Perimeter Center, CDC, and Buckhead are all better routes to startup/strengthen first.

Now this analysis for Newnan and Stockbridge might show far more promise, even more so if they can make a convenient transfer path to the MARTA station (ie. maybe a drop off at a new entrance/staircase to the station from outside).

It is also less distance, cheaper to operate, and would be easier to set up all-day service being able to service a greater variety of consumers.

Here is Newnan for contrast:

It is an area with fewer consumers, but it is a primary destination for them and it gives them connections to other primary destinations in the same direction.

I'm not against Xpress buses, I'm just questioning where the next order of buses should go.
Attached Thumbnails
New Atlanta airport master plan eyes new gates, sixth runway-sugarloaf_job-destinations.jpg   New Atlanta airport master plan eyes new gates, sixth runway-newnan_airport.jpg  

Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM

16,706 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I was all for this when it came out, but I'm actually concerned it is set up for failure.

The problem is splitting up people using it for airport traveler access and people who are working.

The travel access I think will go underused from people not figuring it out, etc... But also because there are issues with overnight parking, both in public planning on providing enough parking with very little transit use given how long the car occupies a space and in terms of consumers feeling safe leaving their car in that area with limited security overnight.

It seems it is best if we choose between travelers parking @ Sugarloaf or the airport... it is better at the airport. Atleast then they are paying for it. It is more convenient door-to-door. The parking amount still exists... it just shifts location.

The other problem is catering to travelers could greatly increase the cost of the route. They are more likely to be finicky about frequent schedules, since they aren't going to/from the same place at the same time. They are going at odd hours throughout the day and will want more flexibility on their return.

Commuter buses won't do this cheaply.

But the real reason I'm concerned about these routes, especially Cobb and Gwinnett/Sugarloaf is this map:

This map is where people work that live in that drawn polygon. Most airport workers that live in Gwinnett South of there are unlikely to drive up there to get to the airport, but I think most in the polygon could consider driving to the P&R a feasible option.

The issue is the demand is weak. It isn't just getting people to choose the commuters to choose the bus, it is simply weak demand.

It seems like Cumberland, Perimeter Center, CDC, and Buckhead are all better routes to startup/strengthen first.

Now this analysis for Newnan and Stockbridge might show far more promise, even more so if they can make a convenient transfer path to the MARTA station (ie. maybe a drop off at a new entrance/staircase to the station from outside).

It is also less distance, cheaper to operate, and would be easier to set up all-day service being able to service a greater variety of consumers.

Here is Newnan for contrast:

It is an area with fewer consumers, but it is a primary destination for them and it gives them connections to other primary destinations in the same direction.

I'm not against Xpress buses, I'm just questioning where the next order of buses should go.

Logan Express bus service

Old 03-22-2018, 07:20 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The problem we would face with this example is Logan has very little land around it and there is very little room for off-site parking lots or larger on-site parking to make up for it.

This prices out many people from being able to park at the airport, so much that the bus service costs $12 one-way and they charge $7/day for parking.

Whereas, here I would almost always drive to the airport park off-site, take a free shuttle provided by the lot and do very well.

This also isn't set up for workers/commuters. It is really set up to solve a problem that can't otherwise fix.

Logan's "Economy Lot" rates are $39/day 1 and $26/day after. it is so high from simple supply problems.

In short, in Atlanta this would face intense demand and likely not work very well.

I bet their Uber demand is surreal.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The problem we would face with this example is Logan has very little land around it and there is very little room for off-site parking lots or larger on-site parking to make up for it.

This prices out many people from being able to park at the airport, so much that the bus service costs $12 one-way and they charge $7/day for parking.

Whereas, here I would almost always drive to the airport park off-site, take a free shuttle provided by the lot and do very well.

This also isn't set up for workers/commuters. It is really set up to solve a problem that can't otherwise fix.

Logan's "Economy Lot" rates are $39/day 1 and $26/day after. it is so high from simple supply problems.

In short, in Atlanta this would face intense demand and likely not work very well.

I bet their Uber demand is surreal.
And they don't even have a direct transit connection to the airport.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:47 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
HJIA considers scaling back the need for more expensive parking garages, in the wake of ride hailing services.

"We’re going to have to ask ourselves the question, ‘Do we still need eight levels on the South side?'"
Where does HJIA have eight levels of parking?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
And they don't even have a direct transit connection to the airport.
Not like we do by any means, but they consider it to be 'direct.'

The Blue Line has a station there, but it's about a 1/4 mile away and connected by free MBTA buses that run to all Terminals and the Rental Car Complex every 5 minutes. It's less than ideal for sure.

I love Boston, but Logan is a total cluster.

We used to have something similar to the Logan Express years ago, the Northside Airport Express. The station I used to use when visiting friends was OTP on Memorial, in the shopping center where the old Manuel's Tavern was. Other stations were clustered around the Perimeter in places like Windy Hill Rd, etc. It was extremely popular, frequent and very reasonable. Not sure what happened to it, but by the time I moved here it was long gone.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:28 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Where does HJIA have eight levels of parking?
They don't yet. The plan was to demolish both of the existing decks adjacent to the North and South Terminals after the canopies have been installed, and replace them with 8 level decks. They've since decided to scale back North to 4 levels, now they're considering the same for South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta