Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:02 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,937,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
Same issue with the Southside, College Park is always packed get in by 730 on most days or head to East Point. Those stations are full of ClayCo tags.
I had to do that a few weeks back. And East Point didn't have that many vacant spots. I had to look a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 12:52 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,167,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
Same issue with the Southside, College Park is always packed get in by 730 on most days or head to East Point. Those stations are full of ClayCo tags.
They need to raise the long-term parking rates at College Park, North Springs, and perhaps Doraville.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:22 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,375,626 times
Okay so I am going to diverge a little. Does anyone know anything about Sandy Springs station? For example, does it get as packed and often as North Springs?

Do you like Sandy Springs station better or Dunwoody station?

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,677,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Okay so I am going to diverge a little. Does anyone know anything about Sandy Springs station? For example, does it get as packed and often as North Springs?

Do you like Sandy Springs station better or Dunwoody station?

Thanks.
The Sandy Springs station has a much smaller parking deck, and the security at the shopping center adjacent to it is pretty "attentive" to people parking in the shopping center's parking lot.

North Springs: 2,325 daily and long term ($8/day) spaces
Sandy Springs: 1,050 spaces ($5 long term)
Dunwoody: 1,048 ($5 long term)
Medical Center: 200 spaces (no long term)

The only problem with the Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Medical Center spots is the ease of access to GA400 afterwards. If you return between 4:30 -6:00, the traffic backs up around the intersection of Abernathy and Mt. Vernon -- it usually has at least 2 policemen directing traffic. So you can count on at least 10 minutes to get to 400 from Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. Medical Center is even more problematic -- smaller lot right smack in the middle of the Northside/St. Joes/Children's Healthcare complex, you'd be heading to the Glenridge Connector for Ga400 access.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,152,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
They need to raise the long-term parking rates at College Park, North Springs, and perhaps Doraville.
At that point, you might as well just pay to park at the airport, but i think its $13 for economy long term parking at the airport, so anything over $8 will probably just get people to park at the lots on Camp Creek.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:38 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,829,505 times
As a public transit advocate, I think this is great news. I moved out of Atlanta almost 10 years ago, but I used to take MARTA from North Springs to school at Georgia Tech when it first opened. After graduation I kept using MARTA to get to work in Buckhead. The garage was always empty back then, despite being free. I can't believe it's $8/day to park now. That's the same price as the daily parking at the terminus stations in the Boston area which is where I live now. Is this a signal that Atlanta ready to join the transit ranks of more densely populated cities like Chicago, DC and Boston (obviously I'm not even going to try to compare it to NYC)?

Old 09-22-2015, 02:49 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,892,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
As a public transit advocate, I think this is great news. I moved out of Atlanta almost 10 years ago, but I used to take MARTA from North Springs to school at Georgia Tech when it first opened. After graduation I kept using MARTA to get to work in Buckhead. The garage was always empty back then, despite being free. I can't believe it's $8/day to park now. That's the same price as the daily parking at the terminus stations in the Boston area which is where I live now. Is this a signal that Atlanta ready to join the transit ranks of more densely populated cities like Chicago, DC and Boston (obviously I'm not even going to try to compare it to NYC)?
Good post.

Think it is a clear sign that there is strong demand for the north line extension.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:58 PM

7,364 posts, read 6,544,213 times
The Sandy Springs deck doesn't fill up nearly as fast as North Springs does, I've used it a couple of times during the week and always seen empty spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Daily parking is still free, it's only paid if you stay more than 24 hours (presumably someone on night shift that parks say 22:00-07:00) would still park for free.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,375,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The Sandy Springs station has a much smaller parking deck, and the security at the shopping center adjacent to it is pretty "attentive" to people parking in the shopping center's parking lot.

North Springs: 2,325 daily and long term ($8/day) spaces
Sandy Springs: 1,050 spaces ($5 long term)
Dunwoody: 1,048 ($5 long term)
Medical Center: 200 spaces (no long term)

The only problem with the Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Medical Center spots is the ease of access to GA400 afterwards. If you return between 4:30 -6:00, the traffic backs up around the intersection of Abernathy and Mt. Vernon -- it usually has at least 2 policemen directing traffic. So you can count on at least 10 minutes to get to 400 from Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. Medical Center is even more problematic -- smaller lot right smack in the middle of the Northside/St. Joes/Children's Healthcare complex, you'd be heading to the Glenridge Connector for Ga400 access.

Thanks for the info. I've been to Dunwoody once and Sandy Springs none and did not want to make any assumptions regarding the parking. And about that traffic, I think I witnessed it the afternoon I went home. I didn't even know something like that were possible. A nightmare it was!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 PM

7,364 posts, read 6,544,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The Sandy Springs deck doesn't fill up nearly as fast as North Springs does, I've used it a couple of times during the week and always seen empty spaces.

Daily parking is still free, it's only paid if you stay more than 24 hours (presumably someone on night shift that parks say 22:00-07:00) would still park for free.
Um, yea, just for reference I bungled this post a bit but I'm way outside the edit window. Everything from "presumably" through the end of the sentence was supposed to be in parenthesis. Just want to clarify in case someone's search for MARTA parking information leads them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta