Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,824,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The Sandy Springs deck doesn't fill up nearly as fast as North Springs does, I've used it a couple of times during the week and always seen empty spaces.

Daily parking is still free, it's only paid if you stay more than 24 hours (presumably someone on night shift that parks say 22:00-07:00) would still park for free.
I think North Springs fills up faster because of the direct access from 400 (sorry that's probably obvious, I'm just thinking out loud). It serves everyone from Northridge up to Cumming and beyond. Sandy Springs is only convenient for local commuters. Is there even any room next to 400 to expand the heavy rail? That is a better solution than building extra lanes. In fact, they should've built the track to separate 400 North and South. That causes the least amount of disruption to abutters.

Thanks for the clarification on free daily parking. As others have noted, the solution is to start charging for parking. This is what they've been doing in Boston, but all the lots are still full because there simply isn't any space to expand since the metro area is built out. Daily parking used to be a couple bucks when I first moved here, but every couple years the price increases by $1 or $2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 11:34 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I dont like the idea of building more stations to serve residence who live north or NorthSprings Stations while the parking lots at Ham E Holmes and Indian Creek sit empty. College Park Station would be empty to, but all the Hartsfield employees need a place to park.
How do those help the people who live north?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,534,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
How do those help the people who live north?
if they want the privilege to easy access to Marta stations they should move near the available stations and bring their resources with them. Many stations on the line are dead stations where the parking lots are totally empty and space is available for those that are tired of fighting for parking at North Spring and Sandy Springs, move back to the Westside, Southside and Eastside. We are all in this together.....or are we?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,129,276 times
Quote:
if they want the privilege to easy access to Marta stations they should move near the available stations and bring their resources with them. Many stations on the line are dead stations where the parking lots are totally empty and space is available for those that are tired of fighting for parking at North Spring and Sandy Springs, move back to the Westside, Southside and Eastside. We are all in this together.....or are we?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Build TODs on the empty parking lots.
I like the TOD idea for some stations but not all of them. Plus the development need to very close to the stations, so close you cant tell where the Marta station starts and ends. Marta stations themselves should be camouflaged with its surroundings. Sadly Peachtree Center, Midtown, Georgia State, North Ave are the only stations that do this concept right. Even Five Points could have had Marta Headquarters built on top of it.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:31 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,164,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What will happen with the ramps?
The ramp from 400 to the North Springs parking deck is not going anywhere. Even the 400 C/D lane project has been designed to leave them in.

Quote:
1. Terminal stations tend to get a lot more traffic than those just a couple of stations down the line do. MARTA is no exception to that rule.

2. As some have already said, lowly-populated transit parking lots make for excellent TOD development opportunities. Fortunately MARTA is starting to engage in some.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,129,276 times
Quote:
I like the TOD idea for some stations but not all of them.
Why some, but not others?

Quote:
Plus the development need to very close to the stations, so close you cant tell where the Marta station starts and ends.
It doesn't have to be hidden, but I agree denser is better.

Quote:
Sadly Peachtree Center, Midtown, Georgia State, North Ave are the only stations that do this concept right.
It would be a stretch to include Midtown in that group, and those were done out of necessity more than aesthetics.

Quote:
Even Five Points could have had Marta Headquarters built on top of it.
At the time that station was constructed, MARTA's HQ had just moved to the Peachtree Summit building, and the agency wanted a pedestrian-block in that location. It was lousy timing that Five Points was built during the height of Brutalism.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The ramp from 400 to the North Springs parking deck is not going anywhere. Even the 400 C/D lane project has been designed to leave them in.

1. Terminal stations tend to get a lot more traffic than those just a couple of stations down the line do. MARTA is no exception to that rule.

2. As some have already said, lowly-populated transit parking lots make for excellent TOD development opportunities. Fortunately MARTA is starting to engage in some.
Yea I know terminal stations get a lot more traffic. Yea I know about the TODs to. I still dont feel sorry for those fighting for parking space at North Springs. Those who want to use Marta with ease should move closer to the other stations or fill one of the other 2 available Terminal stations as I mentioned Indian Creek and Ham E Holmes.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:59 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,022,051 times
So I should sell my house, move, take my son out of school, to a different location each time a parking lot get full, or is getting full?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Why some, but not others?

It doesn't have to be hidden, but I agree denser is better.

It would be a stretch to include Midtown in that group, and those were done out of necessity more than aesthetics.

At the time that station was constructed, MARTA's HQ had just moved to the Peachtree Summit building, and the agency wanted a pedestrian-block in that location. It was lousy timing that Five Points was built during the height of Brutalism.
Because Gulch the OP made the thread about North Spring and those riders being a priority for Marta, my stance is I disagree and mentioned Ham E Holmes and Indian Creek being empty most of the day, someone reply to that was Ham E Holmes and Indian Creek should be TODs. I say NO that as well because they are terminal stations. The problem is too many people are COMING from and Returning to the same place when Atlanta has FOUR sides of town. Atlanta is not contained by hard stone or large bodies of water in any direction yet for some ODD reason the Northside is priority. Northside should get all the perks at their terminal station. When I say hidden I mean a rider should know how to enter a Marta station, but the Marta station shouldnt just stand out and be it OWN building. You can stay in the streets and see Art Center, Civic Center, but you cant really do that with North Ave or Peachtree Center, I mentioned Midtown by mistake I referring to the ATnT entrance at the North Ave station. Im all for Marta doing better and being better, but some the whole Marta needs to move to where the crowd is bad and when it comes to the MYTAXES MYTAXES crowd I have to side with them, building north or North Spring is a waste when you have many of the 38 stations not get enough taps. Marta shouldnt follow crowds, the population is not spread evenly. I hope that make sense...if not.... Feminism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta