Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

I think we have to distinguish between elected and non-elected positions here.

And while the local government of Conyers may not reflect current demographics, that's certainly not true of Rockdale County. From the article:

In Rockdale County, of which Conyers is a part, countywide elections are held in even years, and offer a compelling contrast with city politics. The county underwent a demographic shift similar to the city’s, with its share of black residents jumping from 18 percent to 46 percent between 2000 to 2010. The first black commissioners in county history were elected in 2008, most likely benefiting from the black turnout produced by Barack Obama’s first presidential bid.

In 2012, an all-black “Slate of Eight” candidates, all of them Democrats running against white Republicans, won most of the elected positions in county government. Before the election, a door-hanger was distributed with their faces prominently displayed, as well as the message “Support our President; Elect Rockdale Democrats on November 6th.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:50 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,125,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

In 2012, an all-black “Slate of Eight” candidates, all of them Democrats running against white Republicans, won most of the elected positions in county government. Before the election, a door-hanger was distributed with their faces prominently displayed, as well as the message “Support our President; Elect Rockdale Democrats on November 6th.”

Old 09-29-2014, 01:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
But if you notice, many of the black residents seem generally pleased with the city's government, even when it's majority white. Remember, this county used to be 70-80% white 20 years ago. They're not just going to fire the white legacy employees for new blacks one who the sake of representation and diversity, especially if the black residents are choosing not to vote. Maybe it's focusing too much on race and not people's general reaction and opinions of the government, regardless of skin color.

Conyers is cheap and many blacks love that. Other then a few police interactions here and there, generally, blacks are pleased with Conyers...a nice little suburb about 25 miles out from Atlanta.
Every bit of my soul hopes this is true, and it probably is. This is progress.

I always find it so depressing when people revert back to caring about skin color. In almost every instance, it doesn't matter.

EDIT- and then I read the quote in Mutiny's post. Slate of Eight... pathetic and regressive.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:30 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
That is EXACTLY what Clayton County did 10 years ago, and the place fell off a cliff.
The only city in Clayton that has a black mayor is Riverdale (and she's done a lot for that city). Forest Park, Lake City, Morrow, Lovejoy, and Jonesboro have white mayors and mixed city councils. I'm not sure about College Park, but I doubt their council is all black. The County government might be all black though. Not sure how they made the county fall off a cliff.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The County government might be all black though. Not sure how they made the county fall off a cliff.
I think what he was saying is the indiscriminate removal* of qualified white employees* and replacing them with employees with the primary qualification being the color of their skin* is what had a negative effect on the county.

*I have no clue if this happened or not, I wasn't around. But this is the county of Victor Hill...

Old 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,595,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
This is a nationwide trend. Look at Fergusson, Mo. The city is almost 3/4 black and the mayor is white.
It should not be problem, if the Mayor is doing his job correctly, injecting the race or color issue in everything is not going to appease the general public and would not help solve social and economic problems.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 PM

124 posts, read 152,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The County government might be all black though. Not sure how they made the county fall off a cliff.

He is referencing the incident where the new Clayton sheriff illegally fired all of their white police officers - who then sued and won at enormous cost to the county.

This incident + the loss of school accreditation rapidly accelerated the downward spiral in Clayton county.

Falling off a cliff may even be an understatement.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:24 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
He is referencing the incident where the new Clayton sheriff illegally fired all of their white police officers - who then sued and won at enormous cost to the county.

This incident + the loss of school accreditation rapidly accelerated the downward spiral in Clayton county.

Falling off a cliff may even be an understatement.
Yeah, this is right. But, the city governments don't do this. And the school board situation has nothing to do with race.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
I think too many people feel that race is the all important factor in politics when really it isn't.

I am black and voted for Mary Norwood over Kasim Reed as well.

Also this is not unique IMO. Detroit elected a white mayor last year and that city is 90% black.

For me, it is actually funny, these sorts of articles and ironic in a way as many, mostly conservative whites like to say that black people will always vote for a black person over a white person due to President Obama's election. Over the course of history in our country, blacks have overhwhelmingly voted for white people and many older black people that I knew/know and worked with in Atlanta joke (though some are serious) that whites run stuff better than blacks. So it is interesting when things like this are brought up and people are surprised by the findings.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:46 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
I love the NYT but they are really reaching for a controversy this time. If Conyers wants to elect more blacks to city office there's absolutely no reason they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta