Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 01:16 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,305,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Nope, couldn't. Even the Braves is moving from Atlanta because they fail at creating urban, vibrant neighborhoods. Lmao.
And Cobb has succeeded at that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:29 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,251,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Nope, couldn't. Even the Braves is moving from Atlanta because they fail at creating urban, vibrant neighborhoods. Lmao.
*are moving

Funny. Turner Field will likely be replaced with an urban, vibrant neighborhood.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:31 PM

749 posts, read 887,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
so basically the braves management are a bunch of idiots. They are moving to an area where it will be impossible to recreate a Coors Field like experience. Do these people have a clue where Coors Field is located in conjunction to other parts of Denver? Coors field is located in the middle of multiple vibrant neighborhoods: Highlands, Downtown, Uptown, and the River North Art District.
Certainly seems that way.

Braves could be one of worst teams in 2015

Old 11-17-2014, 01:48 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
*are moving

Funny. Turner Field will likely be replaced with an urban, vibrant neighborhood.
Had anyone invested in that prior to 2014, the Braves might've been inclined to stay. Instead the city threw money at the Falcons to create the Sphincter Dome and neglected their more important sports team in the Braves. The Braves draw 30,000+ for 81 games a year. The Falcons draw 60,000 for 8-10. Which would you want to anchor a vibrant, urban communitr? There are great bars and restaurants around PNC Park in Pittsburgh and 2/3 mile away Heinz Field has nothing around it. Atlanta and Kasim chose poorly.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,726,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Had anyone invested in that prior to 2014, the Braves might've been inclined to stay. Instead the city threw money at the Falcons to create the Sphincter Dome and neglected their more important sports team in the Braves. The Braves draw 30,000+ for 81 games a year. The Falcons draw 60,000 for 8-10. Which would you want to anchor a vibrant, urban communitr? There are great bars and restaurants around PNC Park in Pittsburgh and 2/3 mile away Heinz Field has nothing around it. Atlanta and Kasim chose poorly.
Think a little more critically. You think NOBODY has tried to invest around Turner Field in all of the years it has been there? Regardless of what some people may think, that is a prime location - excellent access to interstates and MARTA, and bordering east side communities that have taken off, such as Grant Park. Sure, the areas south and west of the stadium might be a little further behind, but Summerhill and Grant Park are next door as well, and both locations hold a lot of financial value. People have TRIED to invest in that area, and the Braves haven't allowed them too. They didn't want anybody to spend money unless it was inside their stadium, or on properties outside the stadium that they own and profit from. Fortunately, the city wouldn't give them the public's tax dollars to develop the area outside of the stadium for their private profit - but Cobb did. Now the Braves have everything they want - areas inside and outside of the stadium that they profit off of, no competition from outside markets, and it was partly financed with public dollars.

Why do you think it is that all of a sudden, with the Braves leaving, we are hearing from developers who want to invest in that area? Obviously there has always been interest, but the Braves owner's made sure it didn't happen unless they stood to profit from it. I hope the Cobb taxpayers love what they're getting, since they'll have no say in it, because Summerhill will FINALLY get the development that they have been waiting for.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:02 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,883,781 times
I'd take the city's choice every day of the week.

Braves nor the Falcons deserve tax payer dollars. But At least CoA is only paying 17% of a stadium that can also be used by the city to host Super Bowls, Final Fours, Major concerts, and attract an MLS team. Cobb is paying twice what the city is and getting a smaller stadium that is only serving a declining team in a declining sport.

Braves were the problem not the solution to a vibrant Summerhill.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,754 times
I work literally down the street from where SunTrust Park is being built. With the exception of the north end facing Windy Ridge Parkway, the site is still surrounded by office buildings and other businesses. There are also other office buildings lining Windy Ridge Parkway east of I-75, Circle 75 Parkway north of Windy Ridge, and Interstate North Parkway east of I-75. I take it that they are either hoping or assuming that most of these companies will pack up and leave the area before the stadium opens.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I work literally down the street from where SunTrust Park is being built. With the exception of the north end facing Windy Ridge Parkway, the site is still surrounded by office buildings and other businesses. There are also other office buildings lining Windy Ridge Parkway east of I-75, Circle 75 Parkway north of Windy Ridge, and Interstate North Parkway east of I-75. I take it that they are either hoping or assuming that most of these companies will pack up and leave the area before the stadium opens.
I'm curious? Why would they want the office buildings to relocate?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:19 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Braves nor the Falcons deserve tax payer dollars. But At least CoA is only paying 17% of a stadium that can also be used by the city to host Super Bowls, Final Fours, Major concerts, and attract an MLS team. Cobb is paying twice what the city is and getting a smaller stadium that is only serving a declining team in a declining sport.
The Braves and their "dying sport" drew 2.3 million fans last year. You get 60,000 fans for 8-10 Falcons games, 60,000 for 2-4 college football games and 20,000 for 15 MLS games. The only thing you are getting is a Super Bowl every 5-7 years (probably 2 times until the stadium is again obsolete), and a Final Four every 7-9 years. Compare that to 35,000 for 81 Braves games.

I know what I would want to build in my urban core. I can't think of one downtown football stadium that is important to a city's core, but I can think of about 15 ballparks that integrate seamlessly.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,126,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I know what I would want to build in my urban core. I can't think of one downtown football stadium that is important to a city's core, but I can think of about 15 ballparks that integrate seamlessly.
Funny, I can think of six off the top of my head:

Ford Field (Detroit)
Lucas Oil Stadium (Indy)
Bank of America Stadium (Charlotte)
M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore)
Edward Jones Dome (St. Louis)
Superdome (New Orleans)

You do also realize that the Braves could not tap into the GWCCA hotel tax revenue without the General Assembly changing the state law right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta