Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:46 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They could do it on a 99 year lease, which is not uncommon in transactions like this. The government technically retains ownership, but as a practical matter the developer gets the use and benefit of the land for longer than most of them expect to be around. Sometimes such leases are even made renewable for an additional term.
But why? I agree ground leases make sense for things like MARTA mixed-use because they need the ability to run rail lines on the property. Do you want the government to own the land under your house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 04:48 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
From what little I've seen, I think this plan makes sense, but it's no more "organic" than what the Braves are building in Cobb. Indeed, the Braves gave this area decades to develop "organically" and it failed to do so.

Moreover, despite liking the overall idea behind the plan for the Turner Field site, I'm still not sure it will help turn around that whole area. Yes, the parking lots are going away, and that's good, but now you'll have not one lightly used stadium, but two, plus large blocks of student (transient resident) housing. Hopefully it will integrate well enough with the main part of the GSU campus, despite being separated from it by several long city blocks and a wide interstate or two. Perhaps GSU will significantly expand their footprint around this new space and develop a real campus there. I think that might be helpful and could also be good for enrollment, as a real campus with greens, quads and whatnot can be a real draw. I know that I, for one, would have had no interest in going to a downtown university without a distinct campus when I was college hunting 20+ years ago.
No organic development happens in one swoop. But the GSU development is better than the Cobb plan as it will reconnect the existing grid that already exists. And the Sumerhill neighborhood was already "organically developed". The stadiums destroyed that: How a Densely Populated Neighborhood Became Turner Field: A Map Essay | University Library Blog

Old 11-21-2014, 05:19 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But why? I agree ground leases make sense for things like MARTA mixed-use because they need the ability to run rail lines on the property. Do you want the government to own the land under your house?
No, personally I'd rather see them sell the land than lease it.

I actually meant to respond to SLIMMACKEY's post, not yours. But I clicked the wrong button.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:26 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
By the way I was up in Cobb today and they are going like gangbusters.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:45 PM

145 posts, read 166,159 times
The Other 284 Days

I dug up this article which actually pre-dated the Braves announcement to move to Cobb. It gives the timeline from the 40s through last summer. Great, albeit lengthy, read.

Couple of thoughts... Summerhill started its decline when the more affluent residents moved out after WW2 and after the factories began to shut down operations. The creation of the highways relocated enough residents to force local businesses to move elsewhere. It appears this area was already becoming a wasteland when the first stadium broke ground.

I see the move to Cobb county a win/win. Braves get ownership and control of their product. Atlanta has a great opportunity to right a wrong made and worsened starting over 50 years ago. The potential redevelopment of Summerhill, Mechanicsville, etc. will spur more population growth within city.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Why wouldn't you want private property ownership? Also, if the property is government owned it usually means they don't have to pay themselves taxes.
Fiduciarily speaking, they can continue to bring in a tax base. Im not opposed to private ownership, never said that. But there comes a point in time where prospectors/investors become the bad guy. I'm an investor myself, but understand that sometimes investors bottom lines do not bode well for neighborhood residents. Case in point: The lots surrounding Turner Field are all mostly owned by Larry Elder. Free market, he can own them if he purchases them. But then all over this board people complain about the empty lots. The Rec Authority can have stipulations on the property if it holds it and partners with private business to develop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta