Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:24 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I'm gonna have to call BS on the "ghetto" and "safety" comments. As some have noted, it's very telling that developers are already lining up to build over the Turner Field parking lots as soon as the Braves are gone.
Will these developers buy the land? Are they going insist on deciding what is built there? Will they want to keep the profits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,888,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Will these developers buy the land? Are they going insist on deciding what is built there? Will they want to keep the profits?
Yes, that is the way developments normally work. I businesses and people should have the right to own land and profit from it.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:24 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,523,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
One Year Later: Braves Stadium Development Plans Evolve

One year later: Braves stadium development plans evolving | www.myajc.com
Good job Atlanta. Wish we went the same route... stadiums in the burbs, leave more room for residential development in the city.

What is going to be done to Turner Field?

Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What is going to be done to Turner Field?
They can't finalize until Braves finalize their departure, but it seems like a $300M mixed-use / GSU development is what is most likely at the moment: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...es-turner.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...velopment.html

Old 11-20-2014, 01:56 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,235,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Judging from your post, the last time you went to Downtown Atlanta was probably around 1980.

Nah....2 days ago...got to watch a guy with a cigarette in his hand **** in the corner of a parking lot, broad daylight, across from 245 Peachtree Center Ave while I was parking my car though.....yeah, it's improved a lot......what, 15 new restaurants and exponentially more bums?

Old 11-20-2014, 04:42 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,165,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Nah....2 days ago...got to watch a guy with a cigarette in his hand **** in the corner of a parking lot, broad daylight, across from 245 Peachtree Center Ave while I was parking my car though.....yeah, it's improved a lot......what, 15 new restaurants and exponentially more bums?
Uh, did you call 911 on him?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:41 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,246,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Best case scenario would be that the Recreation Authority will not sell the land but make a deal with the developers who want to build thus creating tax base and never losing the land. Just my .02.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Best case scenario would be that the Recreation Authority will not sell the land but make a deal with the developers who want to build thus creating tax base and never losing the land. Just my .02.
Why wouldn't you want private property ownership? Also, if the property is government owned it usually means they don't have to pay themselves taxes.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:59 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,317,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
They can't finalize until Braves finalize their departure, but it seems like a $300M mixed-use / GSU development is what is most likely at the moment: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...es-turner.html

Carter, GSU propose $300M Turner Field redevelopment (SLIDESHOW) - Atlanta Business Chronicle
From what little I've seen, I think this plan makes sense, but it's no more "organic" than what the Braves are building in Cobb. Indeed, the Braves gave this area decades to develop "organically" and it failed to do so.

Moreover, despite liking the overall idea behind the plan for the Turner Field site, I'm still not sure it will help turn around that whole area. Yes, the parking lots are going away, and that's good, but now you'll have not one lightly used stadium, but two, plus large blocks of student (transient resident) housing. Hopefully it will integrate well enough with the main part of the GSU campus, despite being separated from it by several long city blocks and a wide interstate or two. Perhaps GSU will significantly expand their footprint around this new space and develop a real campus there. I think that might be helpful and could also be good for enrollment, as a real campus with greens, quads and whatnot can be a real draw. I know that I, for one, would have had no interest in going to a downtown university without a distinct campus when I was college hunting 20+ years ago.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:08 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Why wouldn't you want private property ownership? Also, if the property is government owned it usually means they don't have to pay themselves taxes.
They could do it on a 99 year lease, which is not uncommon in transactions like this. The government technically retains ownership, but as a practical matter the developer gets the use and benefit of the land for longer than most of them expect to be around. Sometimes such leases are even made renewable for an additional term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta