Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times

Advertisements

the past two mornings were hell! I had to get up early to go to school and i seriously put on about 4 layers and just prayed for the heat to work in my car!! Unfortunately, it finally started working by the time I got to school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 AM

242 posts, read 841,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I saw these pictures on 11 Alive's website. The funny thing is that they are serious about this "gallery" of pictures of cars with 1/8 of an inch of snow on them.

11Alive.com - Gallery (http://www.11alive.com/news/gallery/gallery.aspx?gid=108912 - broken link)
Now that is too funny !!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGal View Post
Neil0311,
I too made fun of everyone in Georgia when it got below 40, but mark my words; your blood is going to thin out and your teeth will chatter at anything below 40. Give it a few years. I won't even go home to Ohio in the winter anymore. I'll freeze my face off.
You are absolutely correct!!! I grew up in the NE Ohio snow belt, and have lived here for 8 years, and now I don't like to go outside if it is below 40!! We went up to Ohio last Christmas and I thought I was going to freeze to death.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
In fairness to southern drivers-------in Minnesota we have snow removal equipment galore. Yet when it is snowing or icy , the tv news shows the "bottleneck" on the metro freeways and all the cars in the ditches.

Take away our road equipment and venturing out on Minnesota roads with minor snowfall or some ice would be risking your life as you encounter all the idiotic Minnesota drivers who don't know how to slow down when roads are slippery.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
In fairness to southern drivers-------in Minnesota we have snow removal equipment galore. Yet when it is snowing or icy , the tv news shows the "bottleneck" on the metro freeways and all the cars in the ditches.

Take away our road equipment and venturing out on Minnesota roads with minor snowfall or some ice would be risking your life as you encounter all the idiotic Minnesota drivers who don't know how to slow down when roads are slippery.
Sadly, that's true. The difference is the fact that most of the communities up there are well-equipped to handle snowfall and icy roads, making the commute fairly close to "normal" for most of the idiots on the roads.

When a large snowstorm hit, the side streets by both my Bloomington apartment and my Eden Prairie townhome were usually plowed before I woke up in the morning, and the main roads had been plowed several times the night before and sometimes (often) sanded or salted as well.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
I saw these pictures on 11 Alive's website. The funny thing is that they are serious about this "gallery" of pictures of cars with 1/8 of an inch of snow on them.

11Alive.com - Gallery (http://www.11alive.com/news/gallery/gallery.aspx?gid=108912 - broken link)
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! That has to be the most foolish thing I have ever seen! People are actually getting excited over a dusting of snow? Try living here in PA where we had sub-zero wind chills the other morning.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! That has to be the most foolish thing I have ever seen! People are actually getting excited over a dusting of snow? Try living here in PA where we had sub-zero wind chills the other morning.

Yeah, but to cut the natives some slack... as I mention in my OP, they would probably be rolling on the floor watching news in PA in July, as people make a big deal about 90 degree temps and humidity. In Boston we used to have coverage of "HEAT WAVE 200x" and the city would setup "cooling stations" and doctors would be interviewed about how to stay cool.

Here in Atlanta, we were greeted in Aug by 100 degree heat, and no one really blinked. 95 degree heat with humidity is normal, no one makes a big deal. It's all what you're used to over time.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Yeah, but to cut the natives some slack... as I mention in my OP, they would probably be rolling on the floor watching news in PA in July, as people make a big deal about 90 degree temps and humidity. In Boston we used to have coverage of "HEAT WAVE 200x" and the city would setup "cooling stations" and doctors would be interviewed about how to stay cool.

Here in Atlanta, we were greeted in Aug by 100 degree heat, and no one really blinked. 95 degree heat with humidity is normal, no one makes a big deal. It's all what you're used to over time.
True. It was only in the 80s with high humidity I believe during the 2007 Chicago Marathon, and it was cut short due to hundreds of participants collapsing, one of whom unfortunately passed away. Folks in Atlanta were probably thinking "Heat index of 92 and they're wussing out?"

Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Of course, we have the schizophrenic nature of Atlanta's climate...exhibit one: Today's temperature reached 68 degrees...felt like Spring. All the kiddies and birdies were frolicking outside.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! That has to be the most foolish thing I have ever seen! People are actually getting excited over a dusting of snow?
Hey, I also get excited about a dusting of snow down here, but as a native Minnesotan I suspect the nature of my excitement is rather different from that of the native Georgian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta