Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Black people just don't patronize stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in large numbers. Walmart's largest growing customer base is black people.
That within itself is bad and insulting considering how poorly stocked most Walmart stores are in predominately black areas regardless of the economic make-up of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
It's like the black middle class keeps running but keeps getting followed. The issue is middle class and upper class blacks don't understand the importance of zoning to keep property value stable and many don't want to feel racist by having things changed to prevent or discourage working class blacks from moving in. It's not racist, it's classist but I think that is looked down upon more in the black community too.
Actually, retailers need to get with the program and realize that the future of residential patterns lie with mixed income environments with nation's demographics shifting towards a more non-white majority nation. Classism and partial racially bias assumptions based on racial makeup of an area will guarantee that as the demise of numerous retailers that continue this anarchic type of business model.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I agree here. Once Walmart opened off Turner Hill, Target became a ghost town.

I think atleast a Trader Joes might do decent around there as people with more wealth are wising up and taking better care of their health and starting to leave McDonalds and much of the other trash alone.

Philly cheese steak, mcdonalds, popeyes, wings shop, and little ceasers as a dinner option daily is a early grave and there is no shortage of those from Redan, Covington, Wesley Chapel, Memorial, and more.
Actually, the contributing to the Lithonia Target being on the closure list is the fact store was in a bad location, nearly 1/2 mile from the Turner Hill Road interchange with I-20, very little visible signage aside from the tiny monument signs, and horrible access points along Mall Parkway (especially at night). Also the company, Target Corp., expectations for the location was too high for the market considering the aforementioned conditions (bad location, very little signage, and horrible access). The Lithonia store was making a profit, but not to their project sales expectations. Walmart didn't do anything but capitalize on working class blacks in the area like they seem to do these days, unfortunately...

Old 01-14-2015, 07:20 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Every area of every city can't have Whole foods, etc. You have to have poorer areas for poorer people.

I used to live in PG County and it's just as bad as Dekalb. Let PG natives tell it PG is crime free, has wonderful schools, no carjackings, etc. They do a good job trying to hide their ratchetness lol. They love saying "PG is the riches black county in the country" I call it the most expensive ghetto in the country
There are essentially two PG counties: inner beltway which is more working-class/hood, and outer beltway which is more affluent. However the prevailing stereotype of the county is negative (PG = "pretty ghetto") and I don't know any natives or residents who try to make it seem as though it doesn't have its downsides; they widely advertise them if anything.

But as a general rule, more affluent Black areas tend to be underserved by retail compared to predominantly White affluent areas. PG County did manage to land Whole Foods, but it was a long time coming: Prince George's County puts hope in Whole Foods - Washington Business Journal

Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Ah, reminds me of the days of when I first joined city-data many years ago... Back when I still had hope.

Economic Development in South Dekalb

Will gentrification ever happen in South Dekalb?

South Dekalb Improvement Plan

... ...

Last edited by equinox63; 01-14-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 08:09 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Actually, the contributing to the Lithonia Target being on the closure list is the fact store was in a bad location, nearly 1/2 mile from the Turner Hill Road interchange with I-20, very little visible signage aside from the tiny monument signs, and horrible access points along Mall Parkway (especially at night). Also the company, Target Corp., expectations for the location was too high for the market considering the aforementioned conditions (bad location, very little signage, and horrible access). The Lithonia store was making a profit, but not to their project sales expectations. Walmart didn't do anything but capitalize on working class blacks in the area like they seem to do these days, unfortunately...
Yeah, it is way too high on the hill and set back from the road.

It was fine before the other stores were built up but now, you definitely can't see it from the highway.

Most of the business off Turner Hill and Mall Pkwy have bad views and signage.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:57 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
[QUOTEstvincent;38025031]It's like the black middle class keeps running but keeps getting followed. The issue is middle class and upper class blacks don't understand the importance of zoning to keep property value stable and many don't want to feel racist by having things changed to prevent or discourage working class blacks from moving in. It's not racist, it's classist but I think that is looked down upon more in the black community too.[/quote]

The main problem is that poor white folks know they aren't wanted in rich white neighborhoods but poor blacks think they are welcomed in upper middle class black neighborhoods. You will never see poor whites at Lenox Square but poor blacks go there all the time. Thing is poor whites don't mix in with upper middle class whites but it happens all the time with blacks. Poor whites don't go to the same schools as upper middle class whites and they do well generally speaking blending into society but poor blacks stand out buy the way they dress and act in public generally speaking. Upper middle class blacks can't run from the poor blacks because we generally eat at the same places, go to the same schools, churches, etc. Generally speaking I

Old 01-15-2015, 01:45 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Black folks in Atlanta aren't trying to eat that healthy generally speaking
I don't think it's that at all.I this its just so expensive.Even blacks with money seem to be more reserved for paying for something they can get cheaper elsewhere.I mean it's a limit to how much blacks will pay for healthy options.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
[QUOTEstvincent;38025031]It's like the black middle class keeps running but keeps getting followed. The issue is middle class and upper class blacks don't understand the importance of zoning to keep property value stable and many don't want to feel racist by having things changed to prevent or discourage working class blacks from moving in. It's not racist, it's classist but I think that is looked down upon more in the black community too.
The main problem is that poor white folks know they aren't wanted in rich white neighborhoods but poor blacks think they are welcomed in upper middle class black neighborhoods. You will never see poor whites at Lenox Square but poor blacks go there all the time. Thing is poor whites don't mix in with upper middle class whites but it happens all the time with blacks. Poor whites don't go to the same schools as upper middle class whites and they do well generally speaking blending into society but poor blacks stand out buy the way they dress and act in public generally speaking. Upper middle class blacks can't run from the poor blacks because we generally eat at the same places, go to the same schools, churches, etc. Generally speaking I[/quote]

Very good points.So true.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Oh please, the middle/upper class blacks talk about the lower class blacks as much as white people do. My mom and dad both said Conyers was getting worse and of course, the demographic shift is more blacks moving in. They said they plan on moving to Perimeter in the next 5 years or so because Conyers is just going to become South Dekalb 2.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta