Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:25 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the cops do the same thing. I see police cars in the drive in lines of various fast food places all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 04:27 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,737 times
I've always wondered about people who talk about distracted driving. Do they seriously sit there with their hands at 10 and 2 staring out the windshield for the entire 2-3 hour drive? Not a word to anyone, never changing the channel, never looking at the scenery?

Then I rode with my Grandmother. Yes, yes they do. And it is the scariest ride you will ever take in your life. "Naley turn that radio off I can't focus". I'll take my father driving with his knees eating a burger over Grandma's uninterrupted focus any day of the week. Although she's improved vastly in the last 15 years since driving from NY to Myrtle every year, when we get in a car together its just automatic that one of us drives.

Scary is when you get to work and realize you zoned out on your ride and cannot remember a single thing. People texting or playing games on their cell phone- defintely not the best idea and illegal here in NY. Someone eating while driving doesn't bother me in the least. But I think the biggest factor is the driver. Some people are just bad drivers. Usually these people are very nervous and I can't help but wonder what came first- the bad driving skills or the nerves about driving?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:34 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Whether you're stuffing your face, putting on eye makeup or texting, every second that clicks off you've driven your car another 88 feet -- that you did not see.

Think about it....

Online Alarm Clock

Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No different than changing a radio station with one hand. I hope he fights, wins, and maybe even sues the Cobb PD (or whatever PD issued this bogus citation).
Probably a lot more accidents from people talking to each other while driving. Sounds like some policeman was either in a bad mood or under his quota.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:57 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Of course not, and that's a prefect example of the dangers of distracted driving.

And come on, it's not impossible in the least to pull over for a few minutes to eat and then get back on the road. Sounds like you just don't want to.
I take it you've never tried to drive 800-1000 miles in a day. I wouldn't recommend salads, but sandwiches are pretty easy.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:59 PM
bu2

Quote:
Whether you're stuffing your face, putting on eye makeup or texting, every second that clicks off you've driven your car another 88 feet -- that you did not see.

Think about it....

Online Alarm Clock

Who needs to look at the sandwich to take a bite?

Now, how many people do you see turning to talk to someone and taking their eyes off the road.

Ban talking!!!!!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I take it you've never tried to drive 800-1000 miles in a day.
Holy cow! No, I would never try to drive a thousand miles in a day. About half that is my max.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,978,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
When police stop operating their laptops and walkies while driving, maybe I'll consider changing my habits. I've almost been rear-ended by a cop who was staring at his computer screen while accelerating. Oh, but that's ok?
I understand your sentiment, but this mentality doesn't solve anything. Why not just jump off a cliff because everyone else does it?

I certainly don't condone a cop driving distracted for any reason, and really, they should be repremanded for it. They're not above the law. Seriously though, for everyone's safety, it shouldn't take a cop (or anyone else) changing their habits to affect yours.

Quote:
Holy cow! No, I would never try to drive a thousand miles in a day. About half that is my max.
If you think a thousand is hard, 1,700 is downright BRUTAL. Actually, I'm shaming myself by admitting this, but I was in a hurry to get across the country and drove non-stop from Tuscaloosa to the western suburbs of Phoenix, Arizona. 25 hours straight. Bad Wandering, bad bad!

Fortunately, I got there safe and sound, but absolutely exhausted. I think I slept for 12 hours after that.

Nobody's perfect, admittedly, and I'm no exception. Yes, I'm also guilty of eating while driving. Is it good? No, absolutely not. Would I recommend it? Nope. Is it any worse than texting while driving? I'd say that depends on the food. A burger? Nope Soup or something requiring more than one hand? Yep.

Was this officer out to get a quota or having a bad day? Probably, but the ticket is still justifiable because it was a distraction. At the end of the day, the ticket will probably get dismissed.. especially due to the publicity and the fact that this is a gray area to most people.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Yes, I'm also guilty of eating while driving. Is it good? No, absolutely not. Would I recommend it? Nope. Is it any worse than texting while driving?
I don't think it's worse than texting but equal. The cops should go after people doing either.

When someone is allowed to pilot two tons of steel through a populated area, Job 1 is the safety of others around you. Eating, putting on makeup and fiddling with a cellphone is not part of the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: