Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 03:37 PM

498 posts, read 977,402 times

Advertisements

every single day on my way to and from work I see at least two or three people yakking away on their phones while driving, and these are just the ones I happen to notice, but never once have I seen anyone pulled over for this. Put a cop on the side of the road whose job for the entire shift is to just pull over people he sees doing this, and I'd bet they'd pull in a couple thousand dollars per cop per shift. Everyone knows it's illegal and everyone knows it's dangerous, so it seems like an easy way for the city to make a lot of money that it desperately needs, and it might even eventually cut down on drivers using cellphones behind the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 PM

255 posts, read 583,381 times
I'm with you 100%

Old 06-01-2014, 04:12 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Because they are some of the worst offenders themselves.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Because they are some of the worst offenders themselves.
That never stopped them from arresting thieves.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
every single day on my way to and from work I see at least two or three people yakking away on their phones while driving, and these are just the ones I happen to notice, but never once have I seen anyone pulled over for this. Put a cop on the side of the road whose job for the entire shift is to just pull over people he sees doing this, and I'd bet they'd pull in a couple thousand dollars per cop per shift. Everyone knows it's illegal and everyone knows it's dangerous, so it seems like an easy way for the city to make a lot of money that it desperately needs, and it might even eventually cut down on drivers using cellphones behind the wheel.
Chicago PD don't give a damn about drivers speeding in school zones either so why are you surprised. My son goes to McPherson and the drivers will honk there horn at people ( parents and kids ) crossing the crosswalk. I have seen cars driving AROUND school buses with the stop sign out. Absolutely ridiculous.
However, they do love to ticket people who are parked "illegally"picking their kid up from school. So when they are writing a ticket while Mr Garcia is waiting for his first grader to get out of school, some jerk is speeding by at 50 mph with no care in the world. Must be a Chicago thing because I have never seen any other city where drivers show such disregard for school zones.
I love Chicago but this is a huge issue.

Sorry for the rant...

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Chicago PD don't give a damn about drivers speeding in school zones either so why are you surprised. My son goes to McPherson and the drivers will honk there horn at people ( parents and kids ) crossing the crosswalk. I have seen cars driving AROUND school buses with the stop sign out. Absolutely ridiculous.
However, they do love to ticket people who are parked "illegally"picking their kid up from school. So when they are writing a ticket while Mr Garcia is waiting for his first grader to get out of school, some jerk is speeding by at 50 mph with no care in the world. Must be a Chicago thing because I have never seen any other city where drivers show such disregard for school zones.
I love Chicago but this is a huge issue.

Sorry for the rant...
Take some video of the things you see, show them to neighborhood organizations, school principals, post them on Youtube, and send a link to the police brass and the mayor. They may take more of an interest if they see a number of people upset about it.

When I listen to the scanner it seems they are always short of cars to respond to calls. The list on Saturday night was a long one. There were 11 shot and killed between the 25th and the 31st of May.

My short rant. I can't stop thinking about the cute toddler dropped off in Englewood, and no one has come forward as yet regarding this child. How can no one know anything about this child, no one is missing him? Stuff that happens to kids and animals really gets to me. Lots of problems in the city and the country.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...glewood-street

Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 PM

741 posts, read 763,987 times
Yes, suspend the DL's of people who drive while on the telephone.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

My short rant. I can't stop thinking about the cute toddler dropped off in Englewood, and no one has come forward as yet regarding this child. How can no one know anything about this child, no one is missing him? Stuff that happens to kids and animals really gets to me. Lots of problems in the city and the country.

Police Find Toddler Dropped Off Alone on Curb of Englewood Street - Englewood - DNAinfo.com Chicago
Yes, how can a child life mean so little? So damn sad and it makes me so mad. What kind of animals do such thing. Or not even animal, what kind of evil people do something like this? If there is a hell I hope they go there sooner rather than later.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 PM

308 posts, read 757,469 times
Unfortunately, cell phones in cars is a huge problem and if police were to spend their entire time pulling over and writing tickets for those offenders that would literally be their day. On my 30 minute commute to/from work every day, I guarantee I see 50+ people either talking on their phones or texting (and quite frankly, I think that might be a low estimate). The amount of people texting on their phones (and on the highway no less!) is scary.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,079 times
Just a week ago I almost got run over by a woman in an X5 doing her nails with her phone held up with her shoulder, turning onto Randolph from Michigan. The freeway is one thing, but there seems to be a type of woman, driving a luxury SUV and trying to do as many things at once while also driving in very busy city traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: