Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,387,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Why East Point/College Park?

Cute historic houses on the 75/85 side of both towns - one of the last affordable ITP areas (pretty much anything south of I-20 and inside 285 is included in this), and new construction happening along main street as well.

Plus - they are Google Fiber Cities, East Point and College Park are on the existing South MARTA line and Hapeville will be on the Clayton Spur when that gets built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,181 times
Default Mozely Park

We are closing on a house in the Mozely Park neighborhood next week. Yippee!!!
It is directly on the Beltline, I love to ride my bike so this was a major plus for us.
We have been looking for the last 5 months for something under 50k that didn't need much work. We looked in Adair Park, West End, Westview, Capital View (BTW love Perkerson Park)
It has easy access to 20, and 2 metro stations.... Great area!
Happy House Hunting!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:04 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,387,569 times
I totally would 3rd Adair Park, Capital View, Capitol Hills, Sylvan Hills, Perkerson Park as well. South of I-20 also, plus pretty houses, plus beltline access.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,912,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
There is certainly still money to be made in Edgewood, Kirkwood, Candler Park, etc. and other places that everyone knows about. I would avoid places poised to be the "next Kirkwood"--not because it won't happen, but because I wouldn't bet my money that it will happen in 5 years--it could just as easily go down in that time. If you have the money to invest in the lowest of the low end (with decent buildble lots) in these sort of places, that's where I would invest in the city. If you are looking at inveting at around 100K or less, I would probably look to the suburbs at distressed sellers/properties in good school zones (I have made every mistake in the world, and still did OK with the Parkview district in Lilburn investing much less than 100K). The art of it is to make money in the buying--getting into Lak Claire with Kirkwood money, getting into Kirkwood with Edgewood money etc.. If it was easy everyone would do it--but you only have to find that one property (or seller). LovelySummer might not agree with anything I say, and she is definitely more hardcore than I am, but an old post of hers is worth a look...
I'm flattered that areas want to be the 'next Kirkwood.'

Old 02-23-2015, 03:53 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,911,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Why East Point/College Park?
Location and prices are still depressed from the Recession

Old 03-01-2015, 05:41 PM

18 posts, read 15,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
There is certainly still money to be made in Edgewood, Kirkwood, Candler Park, etc. and other places that everyone knows about. I would avoid places poised to be the "next Kirkwood"--not because it won't happen, but because I wouldn't bet my money that it will happen in 5 years--it could just as easily go down in that time. If you have the money to invest in the lowest of the low end (with decent buildble lots) in these sort of places, that's where I would invest in the city. If you are looking at inveting at around 100K or less, I would probably look to the suburbs at distressed sellers/properties in good school zones (I have made every mistake in the world, and still did OK with the Parkview district in Lilburn investing much less than 100K). The art of it is to make money in the buying--getting into Lak Claire with Kirkwood money, getting into Kirkwood with Edgewood money etc.. If it was easy everyone would do it--but you only have to find that one property (or seller). LovelySummer might not agree with anything I say, and she is definitely more hardcore than I am, but an old post of hers is worth a look...
I'm curious what leverage she has (or thinks she has) in negotiating. Are the sellers in such dire straights that they need to sell immediately? If anyone tried to nickel and dime me on my place I'd tell them to go pack sand. This is a sellers market and another buyer will come by shortly.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorATL View Post
I'm curious what leverage she has (or thinks she has) in negotiating. Are the sellers in such dire straights that they need to sell immediately? If anyone tried to nickel and dime me on my place I'd tell them to go pack sand. This is a sellers market and another buyer will come by shortly.
Honestly, I think a lot of people on CD exaggerate a little to make a point, but as far as having a thick skin, doing your research, and making your money on the buying of a property, I think she is spot-on. There are folks out there that make huge mistakes in the maintainence, presentation and marketing of a home, and a well-informed, patient and persistent buyer can take advantage of this. A place can be over-priced for years, and not sell, and the seller may give up and accept a low-ball offer at less than market. You really minimize your risk on an investment, when you can do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta