Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,650 times

Advertisements

Most of the posts I've read about Snellville are quite old. We are going to move to the Atlanta area and want to know about Snellville. We've looked at housing and one person has told me that the area is going downhill with an influx of poor people and another person said it's a great area. Since we are currently 500 miles away, it's difficult to know anything about it. We don't need schools because are children are grown and we have recently retired (before 65).
Please be honest. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 AM

11 posts, read 57,113 times
Hi,

I have lived and worked in the Snellville area since 1989. IMO the schools have retained their quality. However the area in general has gone down hill quite a bit. Even though my wife and I work in this area, we have decided to move to the city despite the commute.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 AM

487 posts, read 1,817,087 times
I currently live in Snellville and I don't think it's that great, maybe because I live in an awful subdivision. Snellville has 2 zips, 30039 and 30078-There seems to be more Afro-Americans in 30039 and more Caucasians in 30078. So choose which you are most comfortable in--There has been an influx of people that moved in during the housing boom which includes people from different backgrounds. I have heard that the schools are going downhill-but since your children are grown this is less of an issue to you. With this economy, people who use to have decent jobs are losing it, so there are many homes in foreclosure and for sale( but this is everywhere). There is no public transportation you need a car. There are plenty of superstores and outlets to shop. You are about 30 miles from City of Atlanta which takes about 1hr during rush hr. There's a mixture of housing-you will find subdivisions with 500k homes and a block away 100k homes. I personally don't have anything against poor people as long as they are decent folks. If you do decide to move here, drive around at different times and look at the neighborhoods that you are interested in to see if thats what suits you. If you have other questions, let me know.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,689,571 times
Snellville = go by the school district. Brookwood (one of the best schools in state and nationally); South Gwinnett and Shiloh not so great. It's that simple.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM

167 posts, read 769,904 times
I don't have any big negatives about Snellville. I don't live there, but I go there often to shop. Even though your kids are grown, I still suggest you look into the Brookwood school district for a home. Keep in mind that every county in the Metro Atlanta area has good areas and bad areas. There are poor people and wealthy people in each county.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 PM

86 posts, read 497,856 times
People are scattering out of Snellville like a pack of ants after you stepped on their ant hill for several reasons. I wouldn't recommend moving there. It's no longer a small, crime free community.

The only part of it still retaining any decency is the Brookwood area, over off of 124. That area is still pretty nice. Anything off HWY 78 is in the process of being completely trashed by the lower class moving up from Stone Mountain/Memorial drive.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,689,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_guy View Post
People are scattering out of Snellville like a pack of ants after you stepped on their ant hill for several reasons. I wouldn't recommend moving there. It's no longer a small, crime free community.

The only part of it still retaining any decency is the Brookwood area, over off of 124. That area is still pretty nice. Anything off HWY 78 is in the process of being completely trashed by the lower class moving up from Stone Mountain/Memorial drive.
What's the lower class? Are you referring to income? Confused

Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 PM

86 posts, read 497,856 times
Stone Mountain/Memorial drive. I really shouldn't have to say anything else, should I? If that has to be explained, take a stroll down Memorial drive one day. It'll be self explanatory.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,251,466 times
I knew of a redneck that lives there. lol

Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM

23,473 posts, read 44,128,490 times
I would not put Snellville high on a list of candidates...my impression is that things will get worse there before they get better. I have a stepsister and a cousin there, and both would love to get out if they could sell their houses (fat chance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta