Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:08 PM

487 posts, read 1,816,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
So you're saying crime hasn't increased with the "changing demographics?"

I don't think people are concerned with the changing demographics of say Suwanee or Buford or other areas that middle and upper clas blacks, Asians, Indians, etc may be moving to.

The problem is illegal immigration in many parts of Gwinnett county. My guess is you don't live in unincorporated areas of Lawrenceville, Duluth, Norcross, etc. If the crime would stay there, that's one thing- but its insincere to say its not spreading and that crime in GC isn't increasing Many areas are going downhill.

I get the feeling that there's not a whole lot of people living in GC on the board, seems to be alotta liberal-thinking folks from ATL or Decatur and thats fine. But the "changing demographics" in GC may have brought diversity; but they also brought crime.
I live in Snellville(Centerville area)! Yes, I am sure crime has increased, but so has the population and the bad economy. I am certainly not afraid of going to the store or anywhere in Snellville for that matter-some people are making it seem like you will be shot or robbed as soon as you set foot in Snellville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 20,298 times
I have also lived in the Snellville (Centerville area) for nearly 10 years. It is a very nice, safe, quiet area of Gwinnett. We do not have the usual aircraft noise, train noise or freeway noise. It is residential and the closest condos or rental apartments are about 3 miles away from my home.
If you check around various sources, you will find we have one of the lowest crime rates and a higher median income than many other areas of metro Atlanta.
I will admit that I did have to pick up a soda can off my lawn a couple of years ago. There goes the neighborhood!
I think most of the "negative" posts are based on racism rather than facts. Gwinnett county is about 50% white/non-Hispanic. I happen to be a white male and have no problem with living with other middle class families, regardless of race or religion. Good... and not so good come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 22,746 times
I have to agree with Jimd. My neighborhood is middle class, very safe and close-knit. Most of the people in my neighborhood have lived here for at least 10 years and there's a great sense of community. Snellville is certainly not all bad and I'm rather surprised by the inaccuracies and the general tone of this thread...pretty sad stuff, indeed. Anyway, I am moving out of Snellville, but ONLY because I am moving out of the state entirely. I am actually sad to be leaving and I say this as a person who has felt both very positively and very negatively about Snellville depending on what day of the week it is, lol. Maybe because of the market, the population boom we were experiencing has begun to calm down and we have returned to a peaceful lull. You can't grow at such a fast pace and not expect some growing pains, but some good has come along with that as well. Either way, I will remember my time here fondly and I can say now, that I'd stay if I could. That said, if anyone is looking to buy, just send a PM haha.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,872 times
xxxxxxxxxxxI am looking to move to Georgia my husband is being transfered to the Atlanta office with his job. What is a really good area outside of Atlanta somewhat in the country with homes around 250K we have a small child who will be attending school soon. We dont mind an hour drive into the city. Can anyone advise?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:17 AM

8 posts, read 27,422 times
These posts are from 2009, and a LOT can happen to a city. Snellville has been called "The Comeback City." If Snellville is a slum area that the previous posters are trying to imply, why do we have upscale restaurants like Gary's Bistro, the Bonefish Grill, Ted's Montana Grill and Red Robin? Why do we have retailers like Ulta, Belk, Kohl's? I haven't found any of those in downtrodden areas.

All you have to do is look up the Snellville Fall Festival to hear the positive things that are going on in Snellville. Look at the comments about Snellville at the bottom of this Gwinnett Daily Post article.

Snellville volunteerism rate is at an all-time high. People are getting involved in the city, and that is a key to success.

I've been in Snellville for 17 years, and it's better than it's ever been.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM

21 posts, read 31,101 times
Hi, I am bumping this thread to see if anything has changed since the last post in 2010. Trying to research areas within commute distance of Sandy Springs. I am trying to read as much as I can so I don't post too many redundant questions. (you're welcome) :-)

Old 02-12-2015, 03:03 PM

39 posts, read 82,471 times
Hi- I just wanted to try to get more recent inputs regarding this topic.

We are going to move to the Atlanta area and want to know about Snellville. My husband is working over in Covington.

We've looked at housing and one person has told me that the area is going downhill and another person said it's a great area.

Since we are currently 500 miles away, it's difficult to know anything about it. We need schools because are planning to start a family pretty soon.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2015, 03:39 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
In general, north of 78 is better than south of 78. Mainly because you'd be in the Parkview, Brookwood or Grayson HS clusters instead of Shiloh and South Gwinnett HS.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:19 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey621 View Post
Hi- I just wanted to try to get more recent inputs regarding this topic.

We are going to move to the Atlanta area and want to know about Snellville. My husband is working over in Covington.

We've looked at housing and one person has told me that the area is going downhill and another person said it's a great area.

Since we are currently 500 miles away, it's difficult to know anything about it. We need schools because are planning to start a family pretty soon.

Thanks
The key to this is Sedimenjerry's latest advice. Stay north of US78 if you can afford it.

That area is almost completely single family housing with no apartments. It is closer to the business corridor in Gwinnett along I-85. It has strong school districts that continually have been rated as some of the top in the state.

The problem with the areas further south is two-fold:
1) Apartments along US78 are zoned to the schools south, so it adds students from rental housing
2) The area is further away from the local jobs based in Gwinnett. People are less willing to move further away from I-85 when they don't need to. This makes land less valuable and allows people to move in at slightly lower price points.

Now I will offer this. Shiloh, that is south of US78, isn't that bad of a school. It is a very decent middle of the road school. It just isn't Parkview, Grayson, or Brookwood. There are also some people that prefer to live south of US78 is there is much more opportunity to own some land and there are actually some nice upper-middle class 'estates' hidden in the back of neighborhoods or near floodplains.

It isn't that bad of a commute, but be warned it is quite long. If you want something closer, there are a few areas of Rockdale county south of I-20 that have held their values and wealth better than other parts along I-20. You will have to find someone to help spot out schools though. They aren't the area's best, but not the worse.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:32 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
You may also want to look into the eastern part of Newton County right next to Covington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta