Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:40 AM

1,057 posts, read 868,196 times

Advertisements

Aybar is a throw in who will also likely be traded. Newcomb is the real deal. Fans wanted an ace and soon you should have one. Guy is the real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 06:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Not excited about 2016--I expect for the division to be much tougher as well--to think that the Braves and the Mets had similar records through mid-way of last season.
Looking around the NL there is a lot to be worried about. We all just saw what the Mets have the potential to do. The Nats are loaded with talent and they will put it together sooner or later. The Cards are still good and the Cubs look like they're gearing up for a run too. Out west the Giants aren't done yet and the Dodgers and the Padres shouldn't be slept on either.

I'm actually pretty worried for my Braves future. The NL today isn't weak how it used to be back when we had our runs. And with the moves they have been making I think they could go either way because they aint exactly 100% solid in my eyes. They could work out and we will be competitive in a few years. Or it may fail and this team will be a dumpster fire for a while. When your top farm league prospect is 30 year old player the Dodgers didn't even want it's time to bite the nails.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Aybar is a throw in who will also likely be traded. Newcomb is the real deal. Fans wanted an ace and soon you should have one. Guy is the real deal.
They said Tommy Hanson was the real deal too. In sports when it comes to draft picks or prospects I don't get excited until they prove it on the field. I do like Newcomb tho. Hopefully he pans out

Old 11-13-2015, 06:59 AM

1,057 posts, read 868,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
They said Tommy Hanson was the real deal too. In sports when it comes to draft picks or prospects I don't get excited until they prove it on the field. I do like Newcomb tho. Hopefully he pans out
That's true, but for teams like the braves, the only way to win is to draft and acquire young talent. We can't really judge how good / bad this trade is until a few years have passed.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Liberty Media preparing to sell the team once the stadium is completed.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
That's true, but for teams like the braves, the only way to win is to draft and acquire young talent. We can't really judge how good / bad this trade is until a few years have passed.
I agree. Which is why I like Newcomb. He could very well be an ace in a few years. The front office just doesn't have my trust yet. I hope they know what their doing, but the pessimist in me says that we got spoiled by having a hall of fame GM all those years and this is the new normal. I hope I'm wrong though.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Liberty Media preparing to sell the team once the stadium is completed.
Yeah I kinda think that too. When they started back loading the contracts of the players we didn't get rid of that thought crept into my mind. I hope they do sell them and someone local buys them. Can't stand those bastards. That's why I don't even get involved at all in the Cobb vs ATL new stadium mess. In my eyes the real enemy is Liberty Media and by extension John C. Malone. Rupert Murdoch is even scared of this guy. That should tell us something. The Braves and the fans are just a victim of some super wealthy rich guy in Colorado who could really give 2 ****'s about our hometown team. All this mess stems from him. We're sitting here fighting with each other while this cat out west somewhere in a palatial pad counting M's and B's.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:14 AM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Yeah I kinda think that too. When they started back loading the contracts of the players we didn't get rid of that thought crept into my mind. I hope they do sell them and someone local buys them. Can't stand those bastards. That's why I don't even get involved at all in the Cobb vs ATL new stadium mess. In my eyes the real enemy is Liberty Media and by extension John C. Malone. Rupert Murdoch is even scared of this guy. That should tell us something. The Braves and the fans are just a victim of some super wealthy rich guy in Colorado who could really give 2 ****'s about our hometown team. All this mess stems from him. We're sitting here fighting with each other while this cat out west somewhere in a palatial pad counting M's and B's.
Very good points, Chevy. I know a lot of people from Cobb who did not want this deal and still do not, but they were not given a choice. I do not blame the people of Cobb for any of this, although I do blame their leaders. The city was in the middle of negotiations and Cobb basically swept the rug from under them, without even having a real plan or any real foresight for how this will would play out. In the end, Liberty Media did their homework and played us all against each other. As far as I'm concerned, baseball in Atlanta is dead.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:36 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Looking around the NL there is a lot to be worried about. We all just saw what the Mets have the potential to do. The Nats are loaded with talent and they will put it together sooner or later. The Cards are still good and the Cubs look like they're gearing up for a run too. Out west the Giants aren't done yet and the Dodgers and the Padres shouldn't be slept on either.

I'm actually pretty worried for my Braves future. The NL today isn't weak how it used to be back when we had our runs. And with the moves they have been making I think they could go either way because they aint exactly 100% solid in my eyes. They could work out and we will be competitive in a few years. Or it may fail and this team will be a dumpster fire for a while. When your top farm league prospect is 30 year old player the Dodgers didn't even want it's time to bite the nails.
It's like this every year...the Nats are loaded and the Dodgers have the highest payroll in MLB. The Braves certainly aren't finished with their team for next year and I feel like there will be some BIG announcements in the next few months. Simmons' contract opened up a lot of cap room and I feel sure they are going to spend it well.

The overall feeling about this trade is that the Braves got the better deal...I know that Angels fans in general are not happy about it either, but I'm not sure they realize what they have in Simmons. Some of the fans are really upset about losing Newcomb - their top pitching prospect. Analysts say that the SS deal is about even on talent considering both offense and defense, but that doesn't take into account the great likability of Simmons. We'll have to see how Aybar is on subject if they end up keeping him, but I doubt he will equal what Simmons brings to a team even with the extra offense.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:31 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanConquistador View Post
Very good points, Chevy. I know a lot of people from Cobb who did not want this deal and still do not, but they were not given a choice. I do not blame the people of Cobb for any of this, although I do blame their leaders. The city was in the middle of negotiations and Cobb basically swept the rug from under them, without even having a real plan or any real foresight for how this will would play out. In the end, Liberty Media did their homework and played us all against each other. As far as I'm concerned, baseball in Atlanta is dead.
Solid post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta