Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:31 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,042,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, they don't know the number is made up. Prove it.

And you know any of this how? And woefully inadequate, my @ss. It's a well oiled machine, and handles more passengers than any other Airport in the world. The only truth being stretched here are your posts, which are blatant lies.

Again, prove it. You can't.
Apparently the Las Vegas forum isn't very interesting. I will forever wonder why we get so many losers coming into the Atlanta threads to show off how little they know about our city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 03:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,944,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Apparently the Las Vegas forum isn't very interesting. I will forever wonder why we get so many losers coming into the Atlanta threads to show off how little they know about our city.
Envy.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:54 PM

18 posts, read 19,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
I linked to the ATL occupancy rate and number of hotel rooms in the post. What else would you like verified?

Las Vegas has 153k hotel rooms

Las Vegas has an occupancy of 87%

As for "Those friends stayed with me," sure they count, but 1) They have a very negligible economic impact compared to someone that stays in a hotel 2) There aren't 40 million of those people.

Maybe it does not count the airport at all (although your number assumes every person coming through is a tourist), but it certainly is not accurate of the number of people that visit Atlanta as tourists and spend as tourists.

How many of those people are driving through town and stay at the Motel 6 for $30 or just get a tank of gas on the way through? At 1.6 people per hotel room night on the occupancy rate, there are only enough hotel room nights for half the alleged number. Go to a 2.5 night stay, and 40 million people are sleeping on a relative's couch.

If they count those people, the number makes more sense, but the definition of tourist is stretched beyond what would be generally accepted. If they aren't counting those people, the number was made up out of thin air.

People that stay in a cheap motel coming through town have very little economic impact. Compare that to Orlando, LA/Anaheim, Miami, New York, Las Vegas etc and see what the average spend is.

Simply ask yourself, does Atlanta have 3 times more tourists than San Francisco, 25% more than Las Vegas and nearly as many as Orlando and New York, but nowhere near the occupancy rate or number of hotel rooms? The answer is obvious how made up the number is.
I would like for you to now verify that the 50 million number is false. I don't want to hear what you or Billy bob think I want stone cold facts.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,042,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaireboy View Post
I would like for you to now verify that the 50 million number is false. I don't want to hear what you or Billy bob think I want stone cold facts.
Some people have a very minimal relationship with facts.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:10 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,944,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Some people have a very minimal relationship with facts.
And very odd agendas...

Old 09-26-2015, 04:26 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
I'm most certain that all cities count all visitors in their numbers, not just those staying multiple days with an economic impact of x dollars so I don't see the relevancy there. The fact of the matter is Atlanta's geographic set-up and highway network makes it pretty easy for people in surrounding states and other parts of Georgia to take daytrips to Atlanta pretty often for various reasons, and yes that includes professional sports.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:00 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,013 times
Quote:
OK, so I was right that people that aren't really tourists are getting counted. No, someone in town to go shopping from Macon or to watch a football game from Athens is not a tourist if they don't spend the night. Atlanta should be embarrassed for trying to claim otherwise. Anyone in the tourism industry knows by looking at the number it is made up. I guess it is like refusing to build a second airport even though Hartsfield is woefully inadequate. It needs something to brag about, even if it stretches the truth.

Yes, I was wrong about guessing that airport traffic was included. Flame away if you want, but I was obviously on right track about the city counting people that aren't tourists to fluff the numbers.
It clearly says visitors. So that means anyone from anywhere that's not living in metro Atlanta every city counts those

Old 09-26-2015, 09:20 PM

346 posts, read 388,812 times
Quote:
I linked to the ATL occupancy rate and number of hotel rooms in the post. What else would you like verified?

Las Vegas has 153k hotel rooms

Las Vegas has an occupancy of 87%

As for "Those friends stayed with me," sure they count, but 1) They have a very negligible economic impact compared to someone that stays in a hotel 2) There aren't 40 million of those people.

Maybe it does not count the airport at all (although your number assumes every person coming through is a tourist), but it certainly is not accurate of the number of people that visit Atlanta as tourists and spend as tourists.

How many of those people are driving through town and stay at the Motel 6 for $30 or just get a tank of gas on the way through? At 1.6 people per hotel room night on the occupancy rate, there are only enough hotel room nights for half the alleged number. Go to a 2.5 night stay, and 40 million people are sleeping on a relative's couch.

If they count those people, the number makes more sense, but the definition of tourist is stretched beyond what would be generally accepted. If they aren't counting those people, the number was made up out of thin air.

People that stay in a cheap motel coming through town have very little economic impact. Compare that to Orlando, LA/Anaheim, Miami, New York, Las Vegas etc and see what the average spend is.

Simply ask yourself, does Atlanta have 3 times more tourists than San Francisco, 25% more than Las Vegas and nearly as many as Orlando and New York, but nowhere near the occupancy rate or number of hotel rooms? The answer is obvious how made up the number is.

Why does Atlanta worry you??

Old 09-26-2015, 10:29 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Quote:
OK, so I was right that people that aren't really tourists are getting counted. No, someone in town to go shopping from Macon or to watch a football game from Athens is not a tourist if they don't spend the night. Atlanta should be embarrassed for trying to claim otherwise. Anyone in the tourism industry knows by looking at the number it is made up. I guess it is like refusing to build a second airport even though Hartsfield is woefully inadequate. It needs something to brag about, even if it stretches the truth.

Yes, I was wrong about guessing that airport traffic was included. Flame away if you want, but I was obviously on right track about the city counting people that aren't tourists to fluff the numbers.
No you was literally wrong and not making sense, this is clearly bothering you, while it's not that serious.

I only brought up the airport because YOU brought up the airport, I wasn't bragging You brought the airport in the conversation. And If there was 2 airports and the 90 million passages was split there still would be 90 million passages, which is more than 50 million which still makes you wrong. You missed the point.

Tourists "tour" is anyone who visit to another major city for leisure so it doesn't matter. And "Atlanta should be embarrassed for trying to claim otherwise." Do you have a psychological hate for Atlanta? Then the article clearly says Visitors. Again it's not that serious if Atlanta was 1st or 10th.

"It needs something to brag about," yeah cause Atlanta is the only city in the world that brags if they're a top city of something, I know

You just said they made up numbers..

Last edited by chiatldal; 09-26-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,757 times
Atlanta will welcome 1 billion visitors in 2015.

Source: a little birdy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta