Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 12:16 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Condos: Shared walls, don't own the structure, no yard, and, more importantly, values do not hold up like a house during a real estate pullback and do not recover as quickly as a house. It is just a much poorer financial investment.
I'm pretty sure many, if not most, people who have the money to buy a million-dollar condo didn't get their wealth by making poor financial investments but hey, I guess you know everything about everyone's financial situation who chooses to make such a purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 03:01 PM

398 posts, read 382,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Condos: Shared walls, don't own the structure, no yard, and, more importantly, values do not hold up like a house during a real estate pullback and do not recover as quickly as a house. It is just a much poorer financial investment.
Not gonna lie, the shared walls and zero backyard do suck. If I’m spending $10 million — heck, if I’m spending just $1 million — I want a peaceful and quiet house with a big backyard.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:13 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Not gonna lie, the shared walls and zero backyard do suck. If I’m spending $10 million — heck, if I’m spending just $1 million — I want a peaceful and quiet house with a big backyard.
Not everyone wants a back yard. For some, the conveniences of a lock-it and leave-it lifestyle are more valuable than paying someone to maintain a patch of grass they rarely use.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
This location offers a big back yard; Piedmont Park.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This location offers a big back yard; Piedmont Park.
See, to me, a backyard is a place where the kids can just run out the backyard and play with only minimal adult supervision. It's a place to plant your own garden. It's a place you can let the pups romp off leash right out the back door. A public park, while wonderful, is not that.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 AM

221 posts, read 190,105 times
Condos like these are good options for people of wealth that travel a lot for business. They may not have the time/desire to maintain a house with a lawn and a private backyard. Buying this place allows you to have fast access to/from the airport while keeping you in the heart of the city when you come back for the weekend.

Probably also popular for children of wealthy families/foreign investors. Young people want to be near the action, but don't want to responsibility of a large house. They may not have a family themselves so a SFH isn't necessary. So their rich parents will probably buy them a condo like this.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:12 AM

687 posts, read 745,189 times
Gordon Biersch and now World of Beer have both closed in the last 6 weeks....just as Midtown starts to blossom i'd call these pretty bad setbacks for Peachtree St.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:15 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
Gordon Biersch and now World of Beer have both closed in the last 6 weeks....just as Midtown starts to blossom i'd call these pretty bad setbacks for Peachtree St.
Maybe it's graduating to good wine and craft cocktails.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I see it as Midtown maturing. Both places were underwhelming. Cypress St Plate and Pint has lasted for 10 years.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:37 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I see it as Midtown maturing. Both places were underwhelming. Cypress St Plate and Pint has lasted for 10 years.
Not sure the BG property is highest and best use at this point, either; same for the neighboring CVS. And how has Bulldogs managed to keep a toehold all this time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta