Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:20 PM

8,491 posts, read 15,055,859 times

Advertisements

If you want to recreate Long Island in the south (without the high taxes and no waterfront or LIRR) then North Fulton would be your bag. Plenty of NYC metro transplants up there, conservative politics, and a house square footage that would blow your mind. There is even a decent deli up there or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 02:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,269,750 times
The only places that have good access to the airport on the north side of the city are the places that are near a MARTA station. Otherwise it's at least one hour and possibly lots more depending on how horrific traffic is today. The unpredictable nature of Atlanta traffic means that I never trust driving when I'm trying to catch a flight; I always take the train.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:57 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,323,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
The only places that have good access to the airport on the north side of the city are the places that are near a MARTA station. Otherwise it's at least one hour and possibly lots more depending on how horrific traffic is today. The unpredictable nature of Atlanta traffic means that I never trust driving when I'm trying to catch a flight; I always take the train.
Er, I live in Downtown Marietta, drive to work right next to the airport during rush hour every single day, and I think I can count on one hand the number of times it has taken me an hour or more. 40-45 minutes is pretty typical during the school year. 30 minutes is possible on a light day (basically all summer while school is out).

There are many, many places on the north side where a reasonable drive to the airport is not only possible but is the reality. "Smynings" is 24 minutes (I should know, as I did it for almost two decades), Smyrna proper is about 30, Sandy Springs and Dunwoody close to the Perimeter are probably more like 35, Roswell is more like 45-50, and, yes, Alpharetta is probably around an hour.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:15 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,421,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1982 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read this!
We are a young family living in Baldwin, NY. I'm Black American and my husband is British of West Indian descent. Self employed with a relocateable business. We are looking to move from here in Long Island to Georgia for several reasons. It is incredibly over taxed here, especially for the amount of services rendered, in addition the state of NY is incredibly unfriendly to business, unsupportive of our Second Amendment rights and generally doesn't fit with our worldview. We have two daughters - one biologically ours and one adopted from China and we have received considerable hate and abuse from the black community here for this. Having visited Georgia many times for business, it seems like from a values perspective as well as a financial perspective it would be a more conducive setting to raising our family!!
TMI - geez - just say what you want. I don't need to read your life history. The realtors don't want to hear it either. Before anyone gets their pants in a wad, I am First Nations - my people have been on planet earth since the beginning. I went to UGA in the 50's and graduated with an engineering degree and have served all over the world.

Quote:
come from a strong church background which guides our lives in every facet. Additionally we ascribe to conservative values, and our political world view is highly influenced by great minds like Dr. Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell etc. We have been active members of the Nassau County Republican Party and would like to continue our political involvement.!
TMI - most of Georgia is this way.

Quote:
would like a community that values family, education, community cohesion, and is safe! We aren't concerned at all with demographics or being in a specific racial community. We see ourselves as Americans foremost before our skin tones and don't believe it is healthy to cluster in ethnic enclave communities and thus feel equally comfortable amongst all members of the human race provided we share similar values.. For reasons of personal preference we would like to be on the North Side of the Metro area, however it is important that there is good access to the parkway and to Hartsfield Airport, I fly out at least twice a month due to my business. I am in consulting and the majority of my work and clientele are in Europe and Israel. We are looking to purchase a new(er) home. At least 5/3 and a 3 car garage with a budget of $900,000. Can you reccomend any communities? Additionally, can you recommend and large and family oriented church of either Baptist or non-Denominational character?!
Don't buy a thing until you've lived here for a whole year. There are so many places to rent it's astounding. Prices range from $1-10k/mo

Quote:
far we have "East Cobb", Kennesaw, Alpharetta, Cumming and Dunwoody. These suburbs all get nice reviews online but I really don't know the ins and outs! Thank you for your time and answer!
Pick up a rock and throw it in practically any direction inside the perimeter and you'll find yourself a nice place to live. Ebenezer on Jackson St comes to mind Ebenezer Baptist Church, Atlanta GA

Old 06-15-2015, 03:21 PM

550 posts, read 992,882 times
Ebenezer considers itself at the forefront of the fight for social justice. I highly doubt it would be a good fit for the OP.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:23 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,838,103 times
Well, I often get a good chuckle out of the saying that Atlanta is the city too busy to hate, in this case, I'd say it is true. For the most part, no one in any part of the metro is going to care that you adopted an Asian child. You may get a few awkward glances sometimes when someone wonders if you kidnapped the child, but for the most part there are not issues as long as the child looks like some combo of the parents.

You say your husband is West Indian but grew up in the UK. Where from? Most West Indians I have met who live in the UK are from Jamaica. I ask because the differences in personalities from each island varies.

I'll go along with whoever said somewhere in Cobb County earlier. You seem most suited for Forsyth County but have too much extra going on. You could fit in even better from what you've said in the more rural areas of Georgia, but that would be picking a tough row to hoe. If it were just and your hubby, then no problem but you're bringing children into the fray.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,337,470 times
I say John's Creek. You'd love it up there. Huge "Like Minded" population and I feel like I've seen a few Baptist Churches up there. Plus, when you commute for work, you can take park/ride and take the train. Also, I'm not sure how you are with shopping etc, but stay on the North end. Shopping is just generally better up here. P'tree City and Fayette are close to the airport but there is nothing down there besides that.....

Old 06-15-2015, 07:48 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,377,191 times
There is plenty of things down in Fayette County for everyday life, and for REALLY upscale shopping you would have to drive to Lenox Square or Phipps Plaza from Johns Creek just like all of us wonderful south siders! ;0)

Old 06-15-2015, 08:02 PM

16,736 posts, read 29,672,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1982 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

We are a young family living in Baldwin, NY. I'm Black American and my husband is British of West Indian descent. Self employed with a relocateable business. We are looking to move from here in Long Island to Georgia for several reasons. It is incredibly over taxed here, especially for the amount of services rendered, in addition the state of NY is incredibly unfriendly to business, unsupportive of our Second Amendment rights and generally doesn't fit with our worldview. We have two daughters - one biologically ours and one adopted from China and we have received considerable hate and abuse from the black community here for this. Having visited Georgia many times for business, it seems like from a values perspective as well as a financial perspective it would be a more conducive setting to raising our family!

We come from a strong church background which guides our lives in every facet. Additionally we ascribe to conservative values, and our political world view is highly influenced by great minds like Dr. Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell etc. We have been active members of the Nassau County Republican Party and would like to continue our political involvement.

We would like a community that values family, education, community cohesion, and is safe! We aren't concerned at all with demographics or being in a specific racial community. We see ourselves as Americans foremost before our skin tones and don't believe it is healthy to cluster in ethnic enclave communities and thus feel equally comfortable amongst all members of the human race provided we share similar values.. For reasons of personal preference we would like to be on the North Side of the Metro area, however it is important that there is good access to the parkway and to Hartsfield Airport, I fly out at least twice a month due to my business. I am in consulting and the majority of my work and clientele are in Europe and Israel.

We are looking to purchase a new(er) home. At least 5/3 and a 3 car garage with a budget of $900,000. Can you reccomend any communities? Additionally, can you recommend and large and family oriented church of either Baptist or non-Denominational character?

So far we have "East Cobb", Kennesaw, Alpharetta, Cumming and Dunwoody. These suburbs all get nice reviews online but I really don't know the ins and outs!

Thank you for your time and answer!

You should look in the Southwest Metro:

1. Fayette County
2. Coweta County

Also look into the Southeast Metro:
1. Southern and Eastern Henry County (in the Union Grove High, the Ola High, and the Locust Grove High districts)

Good Luck.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 PM

16,736 posts, read 29,672,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You should look in the Southwest Metro:

1. Fayette County
2. Coweta County

Also look into the Southeast Metro:
1. Southern and Eastern Henry County (in the Union Grove High, the Ola High, and the Locust Grove High districts)

Good Luck.
The Hillgrove High Area of lower West Cobb might also be a good choice. Aligns with your values, and decent/good access to the airport by way of the East-West Connector or Thornton Road/Camp Creek Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta