Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,471 times

Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

We are a young family living in Baldwin, NY. I'm Black American and my husband is British of West Indian descent. Self employed with a relocateable business. We are looking to move from here in Long Island to Georgia for several reasons. It is incredibly over taxed here, especially for the amount of services rendered, in addition the state of NY is incredibly unfriendly to business, unsupportive of our Second Amendment rights and generally doesn't fit with our worldview. We have two daughters - one biologically ours and one adopted from China and we have received considerable hate and abuse from the black community here for this. Having visited Georgia many times for business, it seems like from a values perspective as well as a financial perspective it would be a more conducive setting to raising our family!

We come from a strong church background which guides our lives in every facet. Additionally we ascribe to conservative values, and our political world view is highly influenced by great minds like Dr. Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell etc. We have been active members of the Nassau County Republican Party and would like to continue our political involvement.

We would like a community that values family, education, community cohesion, and is safe! We aren't concerned at all with demographics or being in a specific racial community. We see ourselves as Americans foremost before our skin tones and don't believe it is healthy to cluster in ethnic enclave communities and thus feel equally comfortable amongst all members of the human race provided we share similar values.. For reasons of personal preference we would like to be on the North Side of the Metro area, however it is important that there is good access to the parkway and to Hartsfield Airport, I fly out at least twice a month due to my business. I am in consulting and the majority of my work and clientele are in Europe and Israel.

We are looking to purchase a new(er) home. At least 5/3 and a 3 car garage with a budget of $900,000. Can you reccomend any communities? Additionally, can you recommend and large and family oriented church of either Baptist or non-Denominational character?

So far we have "East Cobb", Kennesaw, Alpharetta, Cumming and Dunwoody. These suburbs all get nice reviews online but I really don't know the ins and outs!

Thank you for your time and answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:21 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,039,795 times
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what politics, or your political leanings will have to do with with the location you choose to live in (so your mentioning them is curious). Without passing judgement, I will make this observation regarding your comments about hate from the black community: it really doesn't matter what you do. The black community is not a monolith and there will always be plenty of criticism from one subset or another for any of your decisions or beliefs, popular or not. The adage which states that "you can't please everyone" applies.

There will always be criticism, be it constructive, destructive, well-founded, or otherwise.... but bear in mind that it will always be there (and the larger your profile, the more there will be).

I would not suggest living in the north metro if you need to travel to the airport regularly. There are a series of neighborhoods within the city that should suffice.... but they might stretch your budget a bit for a 5/3 with a 3 car garage. I like Morningside-Lenox Park an awful lot, but the big houses in that area get very expensive, very quickly.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:21 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,366,757 times
I would suggest Fayette County (a southwest suburb popular with many transplants ans natives alike including the towns of Fayetteville (County seat with historic courthouse square), Peachtree City (master planned community with golf cart trails around two man made lakes), and Tyrone (closest to interstates). Outside of the city limits of its towns, you will find Fayette County refreshingly rural with larger homes on acreage. Due to its proximity to the airport, many airline employees (especially those of Atlanta based Delta) live there and it has an overall upper-middle class vibe (although many wealthy people make Fayette County home, too, such as Dan Cathy, son of Chick-fil-la founder Truett Cathy and CEO of the company). Fayette County is solidly conservative fiscally and socially, has some of the best public schools in the state, and has many vibrant and growing churches. Three that I can recommend of the many great church options: First Baptist of Fayetteville, New Hope Baptist, and Harps Crossing Baptist. All of these churches have diverse ministry options for the entire family. I would also be remiss if I did not invite you to my home church in neighboring Clayton County to the east, Harvest Baptist Tabernacle of Jonesboro. We are a vibrant "Old time Camp Meeting" style church with a robust family atmosphere and a pastor that "rightly divides the Word" look us up at harvestbaptistga.com. I think you will LOVE Fayette County and should put it on your "short list" Like the call letters of our local television and radio station, WSB, Welcome South Brother!

Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 AM

550 posts, read 990,708 times
East Cobb. Johnson Ferry Baptist Church.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,997,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I'm not sure what politics, or your political leanings will have to do with with the location you choose to live in (so your mentioning them is curious).
Curious? Hardly.

Did you see the part where the OP doesn't want to live in a racial enclave but rather amongst people who share her values? Those values are informed by conservatism.

It is perfectly natural to seek a new home amongst like-minded people, especially coming from a place like New York where the governor has bluntly stated that if you don't think like him, you are not welcome in "his" state. Moreover, the OP wishes to continue to be active in Republican politics.

We are looking to relocate out of California ourselves for many of the same reasons.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:55 AM

37,903 posts, read 42,055,455 times
The "great minds" reference gave me a chuckle, especially since I rarely ever associate that term with politicians or political commentators of any stripe.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,982 times
There are plenty of folks that live in the North Metro area that fly out of Hartsfield-Jackson on a regular basis (likely weekly or more). So 2x per month is not a great deal.

You would just need to plan accordingly. Once you get used to the traffic patterns, you will learn to give yourself extra time if you are going during rush hour or bad weather. On average it will take you about 1 hour depending on where you are coming from in the North Metro area and how far off the major highway your are.

I would recommend using the app Waze to give you a heads up on any traffic issues.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,027,595 times
900K will get you a HUGE house. You can probably spend in the 400-500K range and get a new big house in a nice area.

Marta (the Metro Atlanta Subway goes from GA400/I285 (North Springs) to the Airport Inside the terminal in about 45mins.)

Alpharetta, Johns Creek, South Forsyth (Lambert HS sending area) would all be good for you. On the south site of City PTC, Fayette County give much better airport access.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,409,455 times
No more Republicans!!!!!! (Just kidding!) You might want to look in Gwinnett and South Forsyth as well. Regardless, the burbs you mentioned are all great - I would focus on Alpharetta most of all. For $900k, you should be able to find something you like. As for churches, Alpharetta is home to North Point Church, which I think you might enjoy. North Point

Old 06-15-2015, 12:41 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,982 times
removed - please do not discuss other posters.

I can't speak for the African American community but in general, you should not run into any particular prejudices against your adopted daughter in the North Metro Atlanta area.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-15-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta