Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:11 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Its been pretty impressive the amount GA has had over the last 10 years. It would take a while to dethrone Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
I don't think it's impressive in that, we paid for it. Of course it came.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
^^^Wouldn't it be appalling for his vision of Americia to come to fruition? And Jindal being a Rhodes scholar, no less! What's happened for him to have sold out every bit of reason & scientific knowledge he once had?
Seriously though, I have a friend from here in Atlanta who used to regularly go to Louisiana for film work. That has completely ceased to be the case.
It's called getting in the GOP primary. You have to go hard stupid to have any shot at that.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
And we got way more in return in payroll and investment than it cost us. WAY more.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:55 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
That's like saying that when Kroger puts pudding on sale that they are paying for you to buy it.

I just realized you're the same person I responded to in another thread, and you never came back...so, let's revisit that...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Yet another race to the bottom shouldn't be celebrated just so people on city data can brag about film industry jobs in the state and it's even worse because the production companies are paying low wages on top of getting subsidies from the state. Georgians get screwed on this two ways.
Really? I know a lot of Georgians. I specifically know a lot who work in the film industry. And you know what? Their incomes have more than doubled in the past few years. They went from being just standard stagehands working for crappy companies like Crew One (look up their issues) to making 2-3 times as much PLUS benefits working in TV and film.

And, the state is garnering massive amounts of economic benefits. Do you seriously deny this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
there you go again attacking someone for pointing out legitimate issues that impact all Georgians.
You're right. It has impacted me in a big way. In the past three weeks, I have had some 5-6 different productions call me to work, all of them offering incredibly good wages. I'd like to see some of your answers above before i go into more detail.
And since this post, I've started working on another film making a very good paycheck. And since this post, I've paid off my car, all of my son's autism-related bills, a large credit card bill that racked up while paying for my son's services, and other things. And I'm able to go and spend again at various businesses, rather than sitting at home eating store-brand hot dogs for dinner. And there are plenty more people in this same situation.

Last edited by samiwas1; 06-27-2015 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 01:37 AM

900 posts, read 375,577 times
Producing films is different of dominate the industry, directors, producers, actors, comes to film in GA , in the end of all, they arrange your bags and go back to LA or NYC, and it is there that get all the marketing action, previews, interviews, delivery awards, premieres ...

The Colorado tested legislation to provide incentives to film industry, more was not worth it in the end all the prestige happens in Los Angeles, and these same people will not be back here unless another job

Old 07-17-2015, 07:19 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
Producing films is different of dominate the industry, directors, producers, actors, comes to film in GA , in the end of all, they arrange your bags and go back to LA or NYC, and it is there that get all the marketing action, previews, interviews, delivery awards, premieres ...

The Colorado tested legislation to provide incentives to film industry, more was not worth it in the end all the prestige happens in Los Angeles, and these same people will not be back here unless another job
Yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah etc etc etc ...

The 10 major U.S. film studios are owned by 8 media conglomerates -- all of them with HQ in NYC except Disney (Burbank) and Sony (Tokyo). That will never change. LA is where projects are conceived, deals are made, words are put to paper and image is still everything. And that will never change.

What has changed is this: Movies and TV shows no longer MUST BE PRODUCED OR BASED in NYC or LA. Georgia's not just a "fly by night" locale until the tax breaks go away: it's become a hugely popular place to shoot because of infrastructure, crew base, varied geography, generally good weather, the world's busiest airport and -- maybe most importantly -- a really nice quality of life that MANY MANY industry veterans find refreshing. Allost without fail, every big name star, producer or director who has worked in Georgia LOVES WORKING IN GEORGIA!

The biggest movie of the summer -- and the biggest ever shot in Georgia -- is Ant-Man, opening today. Star Paul Rudd says "I really like Atlanta. I'd rather shoot here than LA."

Old 07-17-2015, 08:38 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
They say that about every location that is not LA. Again, GA has merit, but let's see who much love the industry has when it's not paid off to do so - and that goes for all industries and all states.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:40 PM

900 posts, read 375,577 times
Quote:
They say that about every location that is not LA. Again, GA has merit, but let's see who much love the industry has when it's not paid off to do so - and that goes for all industries and all states.
I agree with you, they will say anything to please at the end of the day everyone just want to get back to California.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah etc etc etc ...

The 10 major U.S. film studios are owned by 8 media conglomerates -- all of them with HQ in NYC except Disney (Burbank) and Sony (Tokyo). That will never change. LA is where projects are conceived, deals are made, words are put to paper and image is still everything. And that will never change.

What has changed is this: Movies and TV shows no longer MUST BE PRODUCED OR BASED in NYC or LA. Georgia's not just a "fly by night" locale until the tax breaks go away: it's become a hugely popular place to shoot because of infrastructure, crew base, varied geography, generally good weather, the world's busiest airport and -- maybe most importantly -- a really nice quality of life that MANY MANY industry veterans find refreshing. Allost without fail, every big name star, producer or director who has worked in Georgia LOVES WORKING IN GEORGIA!

The biggest movie of the summer -- and the biggest ever shot in Georgia -- is Ant-Man, opening today. Star Paul Rudd says "I really like Atlanta. I'd rather shoot here than LA."

Weather is much better in CA. No one wants to stand around in humidity on a long outdoor shoot.

If you know anything about film history, the pioneers were originally looking at FL before CA. But the humidity and flat land weren't as appealing as a place that you could shoot almost all year round and topography wise offered variation.

And Paul Rudd lives in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta