Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:13 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wonder if this gentleman has ever considered getting out of his car and commuting on two wheels?
Or, perhaps they could try the brand new bus route that will start service on Northside Drive soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfromJAX View Post
As someone that started at Georgia Tech as an undergrad in 1986 when there was NO apartments or businesses in West Midtown, I see the need for Tech Parkway as a good pass-thru to Northside Rd. And I worked in West Midtown for over a decade as the area started to re-develop.

This project is a cosmetic ONLY improvement at best. And at worst, will cause an increase in traffic.

A few years ago, they reduced the lanes for most of Tech Parkway from 4 to 2 lanes by adding street parking.

But now that West Midtown is booming, it's not the time to narrow lanes and worsen traffic flow.

The left turn from Tech Parkway onto North Ave is already a disaster.
No, now is the time to turn our core city into a livable area, where residents, students, and employees can all get around with options other than a car. We have interstates and massive boulevards for cars already, and drivers should use them rather than cutting through a college campus.

If commuters need more, then they should push for more alternatives, like commuter rail, heavy rail extensions, and additional transit routes, but for too many years the city has pandered for cars and almost exclusively cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:14 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Or, perhaps they could try the brand new bus route that will start service on Northside Drive soon?
You're both assuming he commutes to/from a place where using bikes or transit is possible.
Quote:
No, now is the time to turn our core city into a livable area, where residents, students, and employees can all get around with options other than a car. We have interstates and massive boulevards for cars already, and drivers should use them rather than cutting through a college campus.
A city that's "livable" needs it major thoroughfares! Not every street can be a two-lane cowpath.
Quote:
If commuters need more, then they should push for more alternatives, like commuter rail, heavy rail extensions, and additional transit routes, but for too many years the city has pandered for cars and almost exclusively cars.
You can't put the cart before the horse! If you make West Midtown unlivable because people can't can't where they need to go in a timely manner, than all the transit in the world won't help.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
As someone that started at Georgia Tech as an undergrad in 1986 when there was NO apartments or businesses in West Midtown, I see the need for Tech Parkway as a good pass-thru to Northside Rd. And I worked in West Midtown for over a decade as the area started to re-develop.

This project is a cosmetic ONLY improvement at best. And at worst, will cause an increase in traffic.

A few years ago, they reduced the lanes for most of Tech Parkway from 4 to 2 lanes by adding street parking.

But now that West Midtown is booming, it's not the time to narrow lanes and worsen traffic flow.

The left turn from Tech Parkway onto North Ave is already a disaster.
Tech Pkwy for years has had on-street parking, so really the street was 2 lane anyway.
Also, as Home Park, Blandtown, and other areas west of Midtown boom, MARTA will be starting bus service along Northside Dr, to alleviate the congestion.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:17 AM

119 posts, read 181,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Tech Pkwy for years has had on-street parking, so really the street was 2 lane anyway.
Also, as Home Park, Blandtown, and other areas west of Midtown boom, MARTA will be starting bus service along Northside Dr, to alleviate the congestion.
1. As I mentioned in my 3rd point, Tech Pkwy was reduced from 4 to 2 lanes years ago. However, moving the lanes to one side will slow traffic.

2. There are a couple of MARTA bus routes on Northside now. But for people like me that live in Cobb and regularly have off-site meetings during the day, mass transit doesn't work.

3. I used to work in San Francisco (in South of Market area) almost 20 years ago. And while San Fran is a "dense city", about 80% of my co-workers drove to work. Traffic getting in and out of the city was WORST than Atlanta. And kind of like Atlanta, the public schools weren't great in the city and most of my co-workers didn't live in San Fran proper.

So density won't solve some of these "livability" issues Atlantans are complaining about.....

Old 01-27-2017, 09:47 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
I'm going to say that pedestrians being safe is more important than people being able to cut through a college campus at high speeds as a shortcut. Just cruise and enjoy the ride, everything doesn't have to be done in a rush.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:31 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
However, moving the lanes to one side will slow traffic.
This is a good thing.

Quote:
But for people like me that live in Cobb and regularly have off-site meetings during the day, mass transit doesn't work.
That is an issue I would highly recommend talking with your county's elected representatives about. They don't seem convinced yet that Cobb should be part of our regional transit system.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
1. As I mentioned in my 3rd point, Tech Pkwy was reduced from 4 to 2 lanes years ago. However, moving the lanes to one side will slow traffic.

2. There are a couple of MARTA bus routes on Northside now. But for people like me that live in Cobb and regularly have off-site meetings during the day, mass transit doesn't work.

3. I used to work in San Francisco (in South of Market area) almost 20 years ago. And while San Fran is a "dense city", about 80% of my co-workers drove to work. Traffic getting in and out of the city was WORST than Atlanta. And kind of like Atlanta, the public schools weren't great in the city and most of my co-workers didn't live in San Fran proper.

So density won't solve some of these "livability" issues Atlantans are complaining about.....
Slow traffic thru a university and in a dense, urban setting is good. If cars want to go fast, there is a freeway 1.5 miles to the east.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Slow traffic thru a university and in a dense, urban setting is good. If cars want to go fast, there is a freeway 1.5 miles to the east.
We're not talking about a small road winding between academic buildings, we're talking about a major thoroughfare around the perimeter of the campus. If Georgia Tech would stop being cheap and invest in a parking deck, they could remove parking along this road and let it be used for actually moving people effectively.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
We're not talking about a small road winding between academic buildings, we're talking about a major thoroughfare around the perimeter of the campus. If Georgia Tech would stop being cheap and invest in a parking deck, they could remove parking along this road and let it be used for actually moving people effectively.
A major thoroughfare? Dude, the speed limit on the road before lane closure was a strictly enforced 25 mph. Why would a land-locked school waste the valuable and limited land to parking, when MARTA is so close and Tech provides transit from campus to several stations?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
A major thoroughfare? Dude, the speed limit on the road before lane closure was a strictly enforced 25 mph.
Dude, that's still easily 3300 cars (people) per hour. Most of the major roads through Atlanta don't get much faster than that, especially at rush hour, but they're still thoroughfares, dude.
Quote:
Why would a land-locked school waste the valuable and limited land to parking, when MARTA is so close and Tech provides transit from campus to several stations?
BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE CAN'T USE TRANSIT! Why is that so hard to understand? How is a student from Cobb supposed to get to Tech? Drive all the way to Lindbergh just to stay out of your precious city limits? What about a professor from Rockdale? Drive up to Indian Creek? Nothing on a campus is 9-5 or 8-4 except a few admin positions so Xpress and the GCT and CCT routes won't work. Even most of the in-town locations are out of reach of transit to Tech requiring either backtracking (from the west) or taking forever (from the east).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta