Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 12:30 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,391,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have said it before and I'll say it again:

If the business community truly supports mass transit they need to get on board with funding it in a big way.

It is crazy to stick the burden on the little man to pay for enhancements to the rich man's property.

How much will big corporations benefit from mass transit? Gazillions.

How much are they paying for it?
Bernie Sanders...I presume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 03:55 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,132,484 times
Quote:
I have said it before and I'll say it again:

If the business community truly supports mass transit they need to get on board with funding it in a big way.

It is crazy to stick the burden on the little man to pay for enhancements to the rich man's property.

How much will big corporations benefit from mass transit? Gazillions.

How much are they paying for it?
Well, if you want businesses to help pay for rail expansion it will be important to see if HB 1032 comes back up again in 2017.

- skbl17

Old 05-13-2016, 04:09 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Bernie Sanders...I presume?
If Bernie is in favor of the big corporations participating in transit funding then I am with him on that.

What does Trump say about it?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:18 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,702,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Well, if you want businesses to help pay for rail expansion it will be important to see if HB 1032 comes back up again in 2017.

- skbl17
Yeah, I'd be excited to see that come back. It would really open up some of the large-scale TODs that could revitalize a lot of the historic downtown that've lost their weight.

Quote:
If Bernie is in favor of the big corporations participating in transit funding then I am with him on that.

What does Trump say about it?
Can we keep the presidential candidates to the presidential candidate threads?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Can we keep the presidential candidates to the presidential candidate threads?
I'm not the one who brought it up.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:18 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,702,125 times
Quote:
I'm not the one who brought it up.
Didn't say you were.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:42 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,281,778 times
Arjay is totally right that sales tax is regressive, and is far from the best way to fund transit.

MARTA should be funded by gas tax and other car-related taxes and fees. And tolled roads.

But we live in deep south, deep red, Georgia, so. Good luck with all that.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,053,147 times
Seattle is about to vote on their third round of funding for mass transit and this time there will be a big push going much further out, as far as 30 miles north and 30 miles south if voters approve the $50 BILLION proposal. Funding is through:

Property tax
Sales Tax
Vehicle Excise Tax
Rental Car Tax

Amounts to $200 per adult per year.

Sound Transit Unveils $50 Billion Light Rail Package Including Lines to Ballard and West Seattle - Slog - The Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Arjay is totally right that sales tax is regressive, and is far from the best way to fund transit.

MARTA should be funded by gas tax and other car-related taxes and fees. And tolled roads.

But we live in deep south, deep red, Georgia, so. Good luck with all that.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Seattle is about to vote on their third round of funding for mass transit and this time there will be a big push going much further out, as far as 30 miles north and 30 miles south if voters approve the $50 BILLION proposal.
$50 billion and here we are wrangling over maybe $2.5 billion.

If the ATL is serious about getting more mass transit the business community needs to bow up and put its shoulder to the wheel. What are they doing other than sitting on the sidelines and cheerleading for the government to slap more taxes on the little man?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:31 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Seattle is about to vote on their third round of funding for mass transit and this time there will be a big push going much further out, as far as 30 miles north and 30 miles south if voters approve the $50 BILLION proposal. Funding is through:

Property tax
Sales Tax
Vehicle Excise Tax
Rental Car Tax

Amounts to $200 per adult per year.

Sound Transit Unveils $50 Billion Light Rail Package Including Lines to Ballard and West Seattle - Slog - The Stranger
That's only about 55 cents per day. For $50 billion. Jesus. Think of what MARTA could do with that much. Would be unbelievable.

Man, I'd gladly pay $1.00 per day, every day for the rest of my life, for $100+ billion purely dedicated to crazy awesome MARTA expansion (in 5 counties), and premium frequent service levels and etc.

So frustrating, why we can't just do that? We'd rather be stuck in horrible traffic and have a lower quality of life, just to save a couple quarters a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta