Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:14 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times

Advertisements

roswell has the most beautiful historic downtown, but is more sharply segregated than alpharetta and johns creek, with the east side of town having a high latino and black population, and the west side of town leading into east cobb being very white. despite a lower black population, johns creek is the most diverse, about a third of the population are of asian descent, half are white, and one sixth are black. but there isn't any real downtown area, yet.

honestly i would go with alpharetta. i wouldn't have a few years ago but our downtown has really transformed and grown over the last 2-3 years; we've got all of these restaurants now, a new apartment building, plus the whole avalon development. it is all on the higher end of things, but given what you're paying for a house, that is probably what you're looking for.

good luck with your journey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:32 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
It means a lot of different things not easily expressed in words. It's very different in Chicago, people are much more friendly and most have lived in the area for many generations. Here in the Atlanta area, it's a giant melting pot where everyone is from somewhere else and neighbors seldom socialize. And many are from foreign countries, which exacerbates the isolation and weirdness factor. This is not the America I know and love. Plus, my kids were miserable here and had no friends. It's the complete opposite in the Chicago area and we couldn't be happier with our decision to move back.

Where's the outrage from BLM, Obama, Jesse and Al? I guess black lives only matter when it fits their agenda? Let the carnage continue unabated while we fight over more important issues like who can use which public bathroom...
why are you turning this discussion about someone moving to atlanta into your own thread where you can toss around your racist and transphobic BS? do you make every conversation about yourself? if so it's not surprising you would hold all those beliefs...

Quote:
Anyone else notice the OP never returned? Another hit and run...
damn, guess i was right. i guess that's the way you see other people. hit and run. dog eat dog. and that's why you behave that way, to protect yourself. little do you know that you're the only one here involved in 'hit and run' tactics, and your behavior is entirely unjustified.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:06 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, I never saw any stories about Chicago shootings until after Obama was elected. There were more shootings and more crime in Chicago during the GW Bush years and during Clinton's years and during GHW Bush years than there is today and Chicago has always had crime and has always been an economimc powerhouse.

IMO it is political based precisely on the Obamas being from the city. That is my personal view but I will be observant after the Obamas leave the White House to see if there are still so many national news outlets that cover Chicago shootings.
We'll see, but publications deemed liberal have also covered crime in Chicago.

And there's this article from today's WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7a9f7a2f70da

Quote:
Even as homicides have spiked in a number of cities, following increases in bloodshed in many of the same places last year, the situation in Chicago has stood out through sheer scale. The country’s third-biggest city has had more homicides this year than the only two bigger American cities — New York and Los Angeles — combined.

This year, 471 people have been killed in Chicago, about 50 percent ahead of the same point last year and almost even with the 473 total homicides recorded by police in 2015. The city, spurred by an August that was its most violent single month in almost two decades, is on pace to have more than 600 homicides in a single year for the first time since 2003.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
why are you turning this discussion about someone moving to atlanta into your own thread where you can toss around your racist and transphobic BS? do you make every conversation about yourself? if so it's not surprising you would hold all those beliefs...

damn, guess i was right. i guess that's the way you see other people. hit and run. dog eat dog. and that's why you behave that way, to protect yourself. little do you know that you're the only one here involved in 'hit and run' tactics, and your behavior is entirely unjustified.

I really wish moderators would do more about these ultra-negative members that slither around the threads and jump at any little chance to make a fool of himself. Someone opened this thread with legitimate questions about where to live in Atlanta - not IF he should move here but that he IS moving here and was looking for advice. Someone just had to highjack the thread and make it about his personal vendetta against Atlanta. Stricter moderation on this type of thing would make this a much more pleasant experience and cut out some of the childish nonsense.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I really wish moderators would do more about these ultra-negative members that slither around the threads and jump at any little chance to make a fool of himself. Someone opened this thread with legitimate questions about where to live in Atlanta - not IF he should move here but that he IS moving here and was looking for advice. Someone just had to highjack the thread and make it about his personal vendetta against Atlanta. Stricter moderation on this type of thing would make this a much more pleasant experience and cut out some of the childish nonsense.
This.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Can't rep you but yeah.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:12 AM

50 posts, read 61,063 times
In an effort to bring this thread back on track...I was wondering if anyone would answer the OP's original question about how accepting/integrated the people are in the areas he's considering. As he mentioned before, diversity is just a statistical number. What he and I really want to know is whether people are genuinely kind and welcoming. Now, of course, no area is going to be perfect and people are people. But, I am hoping there is some sort of spirit of community in these cities even if most of the residents are transplants.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkKnight View Post
In an effort to bring this thread back on track...I was wondering if anyone would answer the OP's original question about how accepting/integrated the people are in the areas he's considering. As he mentioned before, diversity is just a statistical number. What he and I really want to know is whether people are genuinely kind and welcoming. Now, of course, no area is going to be perfect and people are people. But, I am hoping there is some sort of spirit of community in these cities even if most of the residents are transplants.
Your race is not significant in how you'll be treated.

If you have a lot of money, then Johns Creek is fine because the divide is economic. They don't care if you are plaid as long as your money is green.

Roswell is more diverse even though every country on the planet is not represented. There will be some old school closet racists there but that's true anywhere. It would still be my choice because of people from different socio-economic backgrounds. It makes it fun. I think the people there are more genuinely themselves. They don't put on airs.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:26 PM

50 posts, read 61,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Your race is not significant in how you'll be treated.

If you have a lot of money, then Johns Creek is fine because the divide is economic. They don't care if you are plaid as long as your money is green.

Roswell is more diverse even though every country on the planet is not represented. There will be some old school closet racists there but that's true anywhere. It would still be my choice because of people from different socio-economic backgrounds. It makes it fun. I think the people there are more genuinely themselves. They don't put on airs.
Well, if that's true, it sounds like the type of city in which I'd like to raise my family.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
After twenty something years of living in Atlanta city proper, I moved to Johns Creek about 4 years ago. I have been pleasantly surprised by the diverse mix of all races, the very high quality of public schools and the available amenities. With a couple of young children, I imagine that nightlife isn't a high priority, but there are many good diverse restaurants in the area. Further, there are many festivals, Johns Creek Symphony is quite good and there are numerous towns minutes away with walkable town centers. While not a city center, many of the neighborhoods have miles of side walks, are near nice public parks and have active swim and tennis teams. And, working in Peachtree Corners will not require a stressful commute. Best of luck to you and your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta