Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:06 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Right, but remember most economic activity at that port is energy related.

Containers going through Houston can benefit companies in Dallas just as much, not not more, since it is a more ideal location to split shipments going in different directions and build manufacturing and distribution facilities that bring parts and supplies from different areas before exporting..

That is the point I'm making is leveraging logistics location is good for certain types of businesses over others. This is why the economic landscape of Atlanta, Chicago, and Dallas are far more similar than many coastal cities throughout the country.
Atlanta and Dallas (along with Chicago) have among the biggest airports in the world due to their central locations. Atlanta and Dallas are logistics hubs without being ports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:11 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
Actually, Dallas is very little like Houston. Dallas has zoning, Houston doesn't. Outside luxury stores took over Houston long ago while the battle is still going on in Dallas.

Dallas doesn't have just expensive merchandise from around the world, but lots of moderate merchandise as well. That is how you know you are big time.

Buckhead of Atlanta, Uptown of Houston, and Uptown of Dallas are all going to be battling it out in the future for the title of most premier urban area in the south.

What shape is downtown Atlanta in? Does it have any noteworthy retail? Downtown Houston is a glorified office park with little retail.
Despite the zoning, Dallas and Houston are a lot alike. Texas, even in Austin, uses a pretty light hand with its zoning. Atlanta is much more strict with its zoning and the government gets much more involved in negotiating everything, much like other eastern cities.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 PM

254 posts, read 191,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Despite the zoning, Dallas and Houston are a lot alike. Texas, even in Austin, uses a pretty light hand with its zoning. Atlanta is much more strict with its zoning and the government gets much more involved in negotiating everything, much like other eastern cities.
Uh, since when has this become the case? Dallas retail is not bohemian like it is in Houston. The tradition in Houston is to construct fifty story skyscrapers out in the suburbs. In dallas, the tradition is to construct monumental shopping centers. There is very little that compares between the two cities. Houston has one Houston Gallera. Dallas, a city with a million fewer residents, has what amounts to four of them. And this doesn't even include the Galleria Dallas.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A lot of the Atlanta creeks on that side of the Divide (ie Peachtree and Nancy) empty into the Chattahoochee, which deadheads into the Gulf at Apalachicola, FL.

One thing that Peachtree does not share with Preston is the presence of grand mansions on the latter. In that sense, stretches of Preston more closely resemble Atlanta's West Paces Ferry or Powers Ferry Roads.

4500 Preston Rd, Dallas, TX 75205 | Zillow

4800 Preston Road | 10 Most Beautiful Homes in Dallas | D Magazine

5445 N Powers Ferry Rd, Atlanta, GA 30327 | MLS #5771883 | Zillow

515 W Paces Ferry Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30305 | MLS #5602044 | Zillow
Preston Hollow has estates. Again, there is that Preston namewhich is similar to the use if Peachtree in Atlanta. I believe Preston Road already stretches north all the way to the Texas and Oklahoma border. Plans for the expansion of North Dallas Parkway have it continuing running parallel to Preston for many miles, crossing over it eventually, and connecting up with Central Expressway.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
A lot of the Atlanta creeks on that side of the Divide (ie Peachtree and Nancy) empty into the Chattahoochee, which deadheads into the Gulf at Apalachicola, FL.

One thing that Peachtree does not share with Preston is the presence of grand mansions on the latter. In that sense, stretches of Preston more closely resemble Atlanta's West Paces Ferry or Powers Ferry Roads.

4500 Preston Rd, Dallas, TX 75205 | Zillow

4800 Preston Road | 10 Most Beautiful Homes in Dallas | D Magazine

5445 N Powers Ferry Rd, Atlanta, GA 30327 | MLS #5771883 | Zillow

515 W Paces Ferry Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30305 | MLS #5602044 | Zillow
I may have mis-read...

When he said Northwest, I thought he was talking about the mid to outer Northwest suburbs. The Northwest Metro.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:16 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Uh, since when has this become the case? Dallas retail is not bohemian like it is in Houston. The tradition in Houston is to construct fifty story skyscrapers out in the suburbs. In dallas, the tradition is to construct monumental shopping centers. There is very little that compares between the two cities. Houston has one Houston Gallera. Dallas, a city with a million fewer residents, has what amounts to four of them. And this doesn't even include the Galleria Dallas.
I think the problem is your focusing on comparing contrasting Dallas and Houston, alone, together too much.

You're forgetting we are comparing cities along the Atlantic coast and Chicago/Midwent in the mix. To us Dallas and Houston are much more similar, comparatively.

We aren't saying they are exactly the same. They are both very, very Texas.

So my original argument was trying to show that while the economic backbone of Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas are similar, the cultural, legal, and physical framework between those cities are very different. In those regards, compartively, the Texas cities share more traits together.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Preston Hollow has estates. Again, there is that Preston namewhich is similar to the use if Peachtree in Atlanta. I believe Preston Road already stretches north all the way to the Texas and Oklahoma border. Plans for the expansion of North Dallas Parkway have it continuing running parallel to Preston for many miles, crossing over it eventually, and connecting up with Central Expressway.
Isn't that what I said?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:14 PM
bu2

Quote:
I think the problem is your focusing on comparing contrasting Dallas and Houston, alone, together too much.

You're forgetting we are comparing cities along the Atlantic coast and Chicago/Midwent in the mix. To us Dallas and Houston are much more similar, comparatively.

So my original argument was trying to show that while the economic backbone of Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas are similar, the cultural, legal, and physical framework between those cities are very different. In those regards, compartively, the Texas cities share more traits together.
I agree with this.

And you exaggerate the skyscrapers in Houston and shopping centers in Dallas.

There is one 64 story and one 40 story skyscraper in Houston's Galleria area. I don't think there are any others over 30 stories outside Loop 610. The rest of the suburban office parks are more like Las Colinas in the Dallas suburbs or the Richardson technology area. Dallas is a little more "orderly" with its zoning, but it is still different than the east coast. Whether I'm in Houston, Dallas, Austin or San Antonio, I don't need a map or directory to find what I need. Denver, Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, Chicago-you need to know where things are-groceries, gas stations, etc. They are in very clearly defined areas relative to Texas cities.

As for shopping, Houston's Galleria drawves any in Dallas. Its the 8th largest in the country. No Dallas ones (or Atlanta) are in the top 20. And Houston has some high end retail along Post Oak, in Highland Village and, to a lesser extent, in Town & Country and Memorial City, much as Dallas has multiple centers. Its not a retail/fashion/logistics center in the way Dallas and Atlanta are, but it still isn't that much different.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Besides having a population of about a half million more, the North Texas surrounding market is a good deal larger than the same around Houston. I would compare them if they were similar. I just can't think what those similarities would be.

North Texas has an auto assembly plant, Houston doesn't. Fort Worth has aerospace manufacturing plants, Houston has Nasa. Houston has the world's largest medical center, North Texas has eight medical centers and districts. Houston has extra wide freeways, North Texas has thinner freeway but many more of them.

Denton in North Texas assembles Peter Built trucks, Houston has over 100 pipe yards. Fort Worth assembles locomotives, Houston has over 100 chemical plants. Houston is the energy capital of the world, North Texas is the telecommunications capital if the world.

Which of these two cities is Atlanta most similar?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what I said?
Yes. Sorry, I was just expounding. An estate is huge though. A mansion might be located on half of an acre. An estate might be located on 3 or more acres. Check them out on a map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta