Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 11:49 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,883,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When you have something more substantive to offer than conjecture regarding Councilwoman Norwood, then I'll take you seriously.
I am not sure how I can get more substantive than directly quoting "prohibit large-scale development in at-risk neighborhoods" from her policy page that you linked to.

Norwood is the NIMBY candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 12:27 PM

23,478 posts, read 44,128,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Norwood is the NIMBY candidate.
See? What does that even mean? And I assume you mean the Rich, White NIMBY candidate, because if you want to see a pro-NIMBY candidate in its' purest form, check out Vincent Fort.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:48 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,322,484 times
Quote:
Ms. Woolard is indeed impressing me as this election clicks along. Attention must be paid.
I agree. I'm starting to like her quite a bit.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I am not sure how I can get more substantive than directly quoting "prohibit large-scale development in at-risk neighborhoods" from her policy page that you linked to.
You partially quoted her to deliberately pervert the context of what she was saying. She is against development on a large scale in neighborhoods when it would result in forced displacement of and hardship for long-term residents (low-income, elderly). I appreciate the fact that she is at least taking a thoughtful and balanced approach to an issue that is confronting more and more neighborhoods in this city.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
You partially quoted her to deliberately pervert the context of what she was saying. She is against development on a large scale in neighborhoods when it would result in forced displacement of and hardship for long-term residents (low-income, elderly). I appreciate the fact that she is at least taking a thoughtful and balanced approach to an issue that is confronting more and more neighborhoods in this city.
No, there was no perversion of context. Sure, she has additional policies as well but that doesn't change the fact that she wants to straight up prohibit large developments in the areas that are in need of new housing options the most. That is a terrible idea. That is not a thoughtful and balanced approach. A ban on large new developments is not only a radical NIMBY approach it is also likely an unlawful infringement on property rights that will end up costing city tax payers millions in the courts.

I mean, 10 years ago Old Fourth Ward would have been considered an at-risk neighborhood by any measure. Do you really think we should have prevented large developments like Ponce City Market and the thousands of new apartments in the area from happening?

Additional new housing supply is a key (if not even the key) solution to maintaining housing affordability. No amount of property taxes freezes for seniors is going to offset that.

Quote:
... if you want to see a pro-NIMBY candidate in its' purest form, check out Vincent Fort.
True, I am not impressed with Vincent Fort either. We can call them the NIMBY candidates if you prefer.

Last edited by jsvh; 09-22-2017 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
No, there was no perversion of context. Sure, she has additional policies as well but that doesn't change the fact that she wants to straight up prohibit large developments in the areas that are in need of new housing options the most. That is a terrible idea. That is not a thoughtful and balanced approach. A ban on large new developments is not only a radical NIMBY approach it is also likely an unlawful infringement on property rights that will end up costing city tax payers millions in the courts.

I mean, 10 years ago Old Fourth Ward would have been considered an at-risk neighborhood by any measure. Do you really think we should have prevented large developments like Ponce City Market and the thousands of new apartments in the area from happening?

Additional new housing supply is a key (if not even the key) solution to maintaining housing affordability. No amount of property taxes freezes for seniors is going to offset that.

True, I am not impressed with Vincent Fort either. We can call them the NIMBY candidates if you prefer.
Again, I don't interpret that statement as her advocating any outright ban (which would be ridiculous); in this case, I suppose it depends on how you define "at-risk" (she even italicizes the term in her statement in order to qualify it). I personally think she is referring to any neighborhood where a system of protection is needed for potential displacement, not just the blighted ones.
What really mystifies me about your diatribe is that on the one hand you castigate her on this score for being anti-development and then turn around and claim repeatedly that she's in the pocket of her rich Buckhead neighbors (many of whom are bankers, developers and investors). Wouldn't she rather be at cross-purposes if both were true?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Again, I don't interpret that statement as her advocating any outright ban (which would be ridiculous); in this case, I suppose it depends on how you define "at-risk" (she even italicizes the term in her statement in order to qualify it). I personally think she is referring to any neighborhood where a system of protection is needed for potential displacement, not just the blighted ones.
What really mystifies me about your diatribe is that on the one hand you castigate her on this score for being anti-development and then turn around and claim repeatedly that she's in the pocket of her rich Buckhead neighbors (many of whom are bankers, developers and investors). Wouldn't she rather be at cross-purposes if both were true?
I never stereotyped Buckhead NIMBYs as rich bankers, developers and investors. That is your projection.

So if you don't interpret "prohibit" as an outright ban in an area, what exactly do you think she wants to do?

And what do you think will be the limits of her prohibition on development? What area of town do you think is not "at risk" for displacement? People are regularly moving out of every neighborhood in this city.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:14 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,364,532 times
Just a guess reading between the lines here. I believe Mrs. Norwood considers "near southside" communities (Mechanicville,
Capital View, etc.) and struggling "near westside" neighborhoods (English Avenue, Vine City, The Bluff, etc.) along the westward and southward extensions of the beltline to be "at risk".

Some definitions are needed for clarity:

1. When I say "near westside" and "near southside" I am talking about the communities adjacent (right next to) Downtown Atlanta. As an Atlanta native, I am aware that we don't usually use those terms here in Atlanta. For my examples here, "near westside" would be across Northside Drive from the Georgia Dome/ Mercedes-Benz Stadium/ Georgia World Congress Center. "Near Southside" would be just south of Memorial Drive (the southern boundary to Downtown and ESPECIALLY along the spine of Abernathy Boulevard (former Gordon Street) west of the I 75/I 85 Downtown Connector heading due south and southwest out of Downtown Atlanta.

2. "At Risk", in my interpretation, would refer to struggling, rapidly depopulating, and/or blighted communities. Long term, and in many cases elderly, residents of such neighborhoods do need some protections to avoid being "pushed out" by some of gentrification by products (such as rising tax assessments/ bills). I feel this is who Mrs. Norwood is speaking about protecting. Not Buckhead and Eastside neighborhoods that have the activism and political capital (and lets face it, cash, too) to fend for themselves. It doesn't sound like Mrs. Norwood wants to "fight" gentrification tooth and nail (a'la former State Senator Fort) but provide a safety net (in the form of freezing tax assessments for long time residents on fixed incomes) for people who ALREADY reside there should gentrification come.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:01 PM

So we should prohibit development where updated housing is needed most and force it all to the already expensive parts of the city? That is the exact opposite of what people like Arjay have been advocating for.

Of course I am sure Mrs NIMBY will try to limit development on the north side too when she hears loud voices at a meeting.

I don't see any way O4W ten years ago would not be considered "at risk" if we had Norwood as a mayor then doubt we would have seen as much happen there. Maybe even no Ponce City Market.

A lot of great things are starting to happen on the south west side of the city now too. Be ashame to see that sufficated in the cradle.

Electing Norwood sounds like the worst for about everyone. Southside of the city continues to suffer from under investment, forcing all the new development to the already booming north side and driving up rent prices for all.

Last edited by jsvh; 09-23-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 01:10 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,909,092 times
Norwood's roots are as a neighborhood activist. She is for Nimbyism for every neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta