Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 12:15 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I was more upset with GE thing a couple years back.
And we see how well that worked out, lol.

It's now on the verge of bankruptcy and possibly liquidation/hostile takeover

Last edited by citidata18; 11-13-2018 at 12:35 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Y'all are missing the point.

Whether you wanted Amazon here or not, it not coming is an excellent opportunity to examine areas where we need to improve.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
I wanted Amazon to relocate to Atlanta but after a few months I stop playing into it or even caring about much. Atlanta could benefit from it, but its not going to stop the city and region growth.

As far as Amazon selecting NY, and D.C. Has cause a back flash. You mean to tell me Amazon did a national search only to end up splitting in the US largest city and nation capital. In which Amazon only already had a lot going in DC and the CEO own the Washington Post. It makes the whole search look like a stunt.

I was more upset with GE thing a couple years back

I got this idea for another forum but it's the truth, you know whats better than taking relo companies, growing home grown companies. So instead of waiting to steal a company from another city with tax incentives how about what can Atlanta do to help grow more Home Depot, Turner, coca cola and etc stories.
We've grown a lot of companies that were so successful they were bought out or merged into larger companies.

BellSouth combined with SBC (the former SouthwesternBell) to become AT&T.

Internet Securities Systems was on the forefront of that industry, and was bought out by IBM - creating several new near-billionaires in the process.

HBOC started here, and now they are one of the most successful divisions of Mckesson.

Scientific Atlanta was the leader in all the hardware related to cable TV, and perfected the converter box. Now they're a division of Cisco.

There are many more examples. Atlanta has always been innovative, and that hasn't changed.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
I wanted Amazon to relocate to Atlanta but after a few months I stop playing into it or even caring about much. Atlanta could benefit from it, but its not going to stop the city and region growth.

As far as Amazon selecting NY, and D.C. Has cause a back flash. You mean to tell me Amazon did a national search only to end up splitting in the US largest city and nation capital. In which Amazon only already had a lot going in DC and the CEO own the Washington Post. It makes the whole search look like a stunt.

I was more upset with GE thing a couple years back

I got this idea for another forum but it's the truth, you know whats better than taking relo companies, growing home grown companies. So instead of waiting to steal a company from another city with tax incentives how about what can Atlanta do to help grow more Home Depot, Turner, coca cola and etc stories.
GE is doing horrible, Atlanta did not lose nothing.

"The J.P. Morgan analyst gave a bleak outlook for GE's future profits. Tusa expects six of GE's eight reporting segments to no longer be profitable by 2020, a sharp drop from when all eight "were profitable even 2 years ago," he said. GE's restructuring is "far from a 'kitchen sink'" situation, where all the company's bad news comes out at once, Tusa said.

He also expressed skepticism about the company's rebuilding efforts. Tusa said GE's third-quarter results "appear to go against the notion that there is 'lots of restructuring' going on here."

"While the stock is down ~70% from the peak of $30, this move still does not sufficiently reflect the fundamental facts, in our view," Tusa said."

Old 11-13-2018, 12:45 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Wow! It's hard to believe they've fallen so far, so fast. I wonder how their big Divion here is doing.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Y'all are missing the point.

Whether you wanted Amazon here or not, it not coming is an excellent opportunity to examine areas where we need to improve.
Not really rocket science: comprehensive rail transit needed in the region and actually building new stations instead of more studies. Furthermore smaller wins like Salesforce and Blackrock are still great. I am okay with 20 small wins of diverse IT companies setting up shop.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:02 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wow! It's hard to believe they've fallen so far, so fast. I wonder how their big Divion here is doing.
They're no different than other mega corporations from their time that have also collapsed (Sears, GM, Toys R Us, etc.)

Old 11-13-2018, 04:02 AM

And to just think that the State even imagine taking over Atlanta airport and ran Amazon away with Cagle's political stunt. Those Hee Haw rural state politicians would have for sure run Delta away from Atlanta. Ugh! The case for two Georgia's becomes stronger and stronger each passing day.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:29 AM

126 posts, read 83,920 times
Well at least our COL will not increase at a very high high rate lol

Old 11-13-2018, 04:36 AM

126 posts, read 83,920 times
I always said it would be between Chicago, Boston, NYC, DC and Atlanta. I have a feeling they always knew they wanted to go to the cities they picked. Good luck to those cities. Not sure how the Amazon salary would work in those cities since they are already expensive but those position will be great for college graduates to get some experience and then to move on to a higher paying job with another company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta