Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,168,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
I think a lot has to do with the IT talent base here. A lot of companies that I know about are hiring but they are for very specific development and data architect positions. I've seen job posting stay open for over 2 years and they can't be filled because potential candidates would rather go to California, DC, or NYC for a job position. Atlanta does have an edge when it comes to the cost of living and weather; just not the metropolitan glitz. There will be some steady growth in IT jobs with some of the existing companies here as they invest in IT renewal and modernization and hopefully we will add some more solid companies in the near future.

Thats kind of the problem with Atlanta in general when it comes to IT jobs. Companies here will try to ask of an applicant almost 2 different positions combined into one and try to pay $40-50K, and then you see that same type of job not asking for as much out of you, yet paying $25-30K+ more in the places you mentioned. Granted cost of living is much more in CA, VA, NYC, so many that flood there for more pay, arent really enjoying the so called $25-30k increase as much by going to those locations, after you factor in the high cost of living.

I seriously doubt Amazon was going to be paying people $90K+ a year in Atlanta, in a right to work environment where companies generally pay less here than they would elsewhere for the same kind of work. Amazon mentions these very high paying jobs and that could be up to 50K in a decade was what had all these cities foaming at the mouth to get them to choose them, but more than likely, im sure Amazon knew long time ago where they wanted to go. Im still shocked Long Island City would be a choice though

Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,752,032 times
Why Atlanta apparently won't be winning HQ2

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...nning-hq2.html

Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 AM

15 posts, read 11,699 times
Network effects are inherent in technology companies - and this also influences their decisions on a macro level. Human capital is the resource of the new economy, so "bigger is better."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/u...mentsContainer

Fortunately, Atlanta still has a lot of great things going on in its favor. I'm confident that the city will continue to see robust growth despite the rising northeast megalopolis. I hope our region sees the value in infrastructure investment that can help tie together the economic engines of the southeast. We should be better connected to cities along the I-85 corridor.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,469,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Paywall article! I did see that the Marta train broke down on there trip to Midtown, which is not uncommon. Also totally shocked that the last Marta station built was 18 years ago (Sandy and North Springs). That is ridiculous!

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 11-09-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 09:12 AM

813 posts, read 713,118 times
Quote:

Ugh, looks like the Cagle/Delta feud really did sour Atlanta's chances. If they were concerned over that, then I can't imagine they'd be happy over Kemp winning with his love of the Religious Liberty Bill, NRA, etc.

I'm think its' time for me to begin to let the dream die...

Old 11-09-2018, 09:53 AM

651 posts, read 480,335 times
Quote:

Can any post what this says for non-subscribers? This has a paywall.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM

813 posts, read 713,118 times
Ahem...I've heard from a friend that sometimes you can get to the articles if you keep pushing the ESC button while it's loading...Remember, you heard that from a friend, not me....

Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,752,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Ahem...I've heard from a friend that sometimes you can get to the articles if you keep pushing the ESC button while it's loading...Remember, you heard that from a friend, not me....
Also, if you're on your mobile phone (specifically the Chrome browser) you can turn off Javascript in order to view those articles.

There's a number of different ways to get around the paywall.

And my comment didn't come from a friend, but yours truly. What they gon' do, come and beat me up?

Old 11-09-2018, 10:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,960,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Ugh, looks like the Cagle/Delta feud really did sour Atlanta's chances. If they were concerned over that, then I can't imagine they'd be happy over Kemp winning with his love of the Religious Liberty Bill, NRA, etc.
Amazon ruled Atlanta out months ago, so Kemp had no impact. Cagle did have an impact, and it was mostly because Amazon doesn't want to be in a state where politicians take shots at companies to score points.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,960,319 times
It sounds like 2 things hurts us:

1. They liked the gulch, but that site isn't shovel ready. I wonder if the Atlantic Station property was undeveloped that would have been enough.

2. Lack of tech talent. I think this is more regional than just the metro. Cities in the NE can pool the talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta