Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 10:17 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Offer low interest loans to homeowners to build ADUs with the terms that it be leased out and not AirBnB'd.
Making the zoning change at least gives homeowners the option to build ADUs if they choose to. I love how so many of y'all assume you know what "most homeowners" think. Right now if they wanted to do it, it's illegal in 98% of the city limits.
Let's be honest, there is NOTHING affordable about LaFrance Walk.
You are conveniently glossing over the fact that today, in all those areas where ADU's aren't allowed someone can build essentially *exactly* what you are clamoring for, with the only real limitation being they can't install an oven. If someone wants to build out an apartment above a 2-car garage on an R4 lot, they can do so NOW, and just install a toaster oven and hot plate. Let's not pretend that zoning is currently creating some huge barrier to entry, and maybe admit there just isn't that many people for whom the means and want to do so overlap.

That's not an argument for leaving zoning as-is. It's an arguement that maybe it isn't the boogey-man it's made out to be, at least in the context of adding ADU's to existing homes.

Last edited by red92s; 03-26-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 03:58 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
The current zoning may allow something without a full kitchen to be built today. But that is not really viable for a family to live in full-time. We are talking about legalizing additional full-on new housing units. Not trying to cook all your meals on hot plates.

Zoning is and has created a huge barrier to entry for new urban housing. Few are going to seriously consider living somewhere without a full kitchen. And that is only one of many regulations. You will find that other limitations such as setbacks or FARs or required neighborhood approvals put a stop to any viable new urban housing.

If you look, you will find that even many of the existing urban housing stock cannot be built again with our existing zoning. Go look through some of these neighborhoods like West End, Ormewood, Grant Park, Old Fourth Ward. Pick some of the older homes then look at the zoning and realize they would not be permitted to be built today.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:35 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Then those residents don't have to build ADUs or sell. I doubt there will be spot rezoning, but people need to get involved if they want to be heard.
Many of our historic intown SFH neighborhoods are large garages swallow up backyards. Why not add a floor to the garage or replace the garage with an ADU and lease it out to college students, teachers, restaurant workers, etc who are single or have a small family? That's how we make a dent in the affordability crisis.
Well, I've said before that I'd be glad to turn our garage back into an apartment. I'd love to have a grad student live there and would make them one heck of a deal if they'd look after the place when we travel and assist me with some light duties.

However, what I've been reading here goes WAY beyond that. Folks have been advocating doing away with zoning laws and allowing full-on duplexes and triplexes and inexpensive apartment buildings to be built literally anywhere, with no setbacks, no parking requirements and no other limitations whatsoever. I can't go for that.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:59 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
I don't think a lot of people can come up with the capital to afford building ADUs. Also, a lot of people purchase single family homes to have their own private space, and may be unwilling to have someone else live on their property.

Even if homeowners had the means to build one and rent it out, is that even a worthwhile investment? Using the 1% guideline for rents, a $200,000 detached ADU would have to bring in $2000/month to be enticing to homeowners. I suppose if this is the route the city really wanted to take, they could maybe subsidize this cost a lot.

Doesn't seem like homeowners would go out of their way to do this, but perhaps they might if the alternative is to see an apartment complex go up next door.
So I have a garage apartment sitting empty right now. I don't want another car in my turn-around to be honest. And I don't think my neighbors would like a car parked on the street all the time. It would not rent for the amount for which it would be worth it to me for the inconvenience.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:01 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I've said before that I'd be glad to turn our garage back into an apartment. I'd love to have a grad student live there and would make them one heck of a deal if they'd look after the place when we travel and assist me with some light duties.

However, what I've been reading here goes WAY beyond that. Folks have been advocating doing away with zoning laws and allowing full-on duplexes and triplexes and inexpensive apartment buildings to be built literally anywhere, with no setbacks, no parking requirements and no other limitations whatsoever. I can't go for that.
It would be very destructive to the neighborhoods--and there would be a domino effect of unforeseen consequences, for sure.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
It would be very destructive to the neighborhoods--and there would be a domino effect of unforeseen consequences, for sure.
It would be extremely destabilizing.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:15 PM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It would be extremely destabilizing.
Yes, it might actually improve them.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Yes, it might actually improve them.
Do you mind if we start in your neighborhood, bu2, and see how it goes?

If it turns out well I'd be glad to look at the evidence.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:00 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Offer low interest loans to homeowners to build ADUs with the terms that it be leased out and not AirBnB'd.
Making the zoning change at least gives homeowners the option to build ADUs if they choose to. I love how so many of y'all assume you know what "most homeowners" think. Right now if they wanted to do it, it's illegal in 98% of the city limits.
Let's be honest, there is NOTHING affordable about LaFrance Walk.

I'm with cq on this, y'all.

ADUs, etc. are how areas/cities/towns densify and add more housing without destroying the historic fabric and integrity of their neighborhoods.

It is not an obligation, of course--but it is an option that homeowners should have.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:03 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I'm with cq on this, y'all.

ADUs, etc. are how areas/cities/towns densify and add more housing without destroying the historic fabric and integrity of their neighborhoods.

It is not an obligation, of course--but it is an option that homeowners should have.
I don't have a real problem with ADUs in most areas. I think very, very, very few people will build them, and it won't do anything to help the "crisis", but why not? Of course, there should be some rules surrounding them regarding parking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta