Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 02:49 AM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like they need to get on the stick with transit if they expect to hang on to all that tech business.
Austin is having alot of growing pains unfortunately. I highly doubt they will get anything serious for transit but they 'may' surprise me. Technically Houston and San Antonio also went through similar growing pains minus all the tech companies before one day they completely reworked their entire infrastructure. What I am personally seeing however is...

#1 Alot of native Austinites, including some of the politcal figures of Austin do not want Austin to become a major city. They want those roles to remain in DFW and Houston. They are happy with the size of Austin and their mindset is not on the growth of Austin but rather what Austin used to be a few decades ago.

#2 Alot of Californians (ALOT of them) are completely re-imaging Austin from a laid back Texan town to a literal reincarnation of San Jose California.

#3 The figures mentioned in #1 do not want more roads, highways, transit or to develop further infrastructure until they are literally forced to do so, because of it Austin is always playing catch up on key infrastructural components.

#4 The figures mentioned in #2 are forcing Austin to address issues they never thought they would need to in fairly short amounts of time. That and they are forcing Austin to expand roads.

Austin had 2 rail lines planned, one heading northwest (currently operational using an old and decommissioned freight rail line) and one heading northeast (struggling to politically pass.)

The natives of Austin are not transit orientated. You would have to pry their car keys from their fingers before they ever considered it. Non natives, it varies and depends on where they came from. I'm in a tech job right now but most of them are from overseas and none of them are from California. No one in this job site really cares much for transit, but most of them also only live within 3 blocks from the job site. Those from California also don't seem to be too concerned about transit.

Right now at aprox 2 million people its still 'okay' but if it were to double in size it would become a major problem.

Edit:

On another note however, I don't think the tech companies will leave Austin anytime soon, even for the lack of transit. They are coming here paying next to nothing in comparison to California whom heavily taxes them, they are centered around a very large tech based education foundation in Austin so the education is strong enough to support them, they are centered around DFW and Houston which act as satellite tech cities where as Austin act as a hub, Governmental foundations, ect.

One thing I do wonder though is how long the Californian's will remain here before they realize... ...this isn't really California. I think many will stay so long as it remains profitable. No state tax in Texas is a huge plus, but I can't help but wonder if they feel home sick in some ways.

I personally would love to live in San Francisco metro but, not for the amount of money you have to pay to live there...unless my income were to double what it currently is.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-18-2019 at 03:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Default Take good care Atlanta C-D posters

Well, C-D friends, I never imagined the day would come when I would leave metro-Atlanta. I will remain a lurker on this board and pop in from time to time, I'm sure. You guys keep up the good work looking after the City and her environs. If you have not already, I urge you to become actively involved in your communities - it is very rewarding and a wonderful way to give back to this great place we call home.

I do admire all of you for your love of Atlanta, even though we may not see eye-to-eye on everything. But remember, debate and discourse are good things and we can all learn a lot through it. Just keep in mind to try and be respectful of everyone, regardless of your differences.

I love Atlanta and have spent 30 wonderful years here. I'm sure going to miss it.

Take good care. It has been a pleasure getting to know you all here.

Ansley

Old 04-23-2019, 11:53 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Best of luck on your future endeavors Ansley!

I have enjoyed all our discussions and hope you stop by for more.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Best of luck on your future endeavors Ansley!
Thank you, jsvh! Same to you!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Where you going?

Old 04-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Where you going?
We are moving to Ono Island, which has an Orange Beach, AL address, but actually straddles the Florida - Alabama line. I always voted for the N. Georgia mountains - Blue Ridge in particular, but my wife doesn't care for cold weather, so south it is!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
We are moving to Ono Island, which has an Orange Beach, AL address, but actually straddles the Florida - Alabama line. I always voted for the N. Georgia mountains - Blue Ridge in particular, but my wife doesn't care for cold weather, so south it is!
That's right around where my mom and step father live. They just moved from Foley (just about 15 miles from Ono) to Daphne. They seem to like it down there, although they head up to Michigan for the summers.

Enjoy and do continue to post here!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Sounds like a good life. Watch out for hurricanes!

Old 04-23-2019, 01:15 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,630 times
Ansley-

Always appreciated your commentary and levelheadedness even in the midst of a heated debate. Best of luck to you in your next chapter of life in 'Bama!

Old 04-23-2019, 01:20 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Best wishes to you in your new location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta