Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:54 PM

563 posts, read 2,775,085 times

Advertisements

check out www.atlantaparent.com

They give a lot of great info on things to do with the kids here in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,395 times
Default Once upon a time, Lithonia was great!

Hi, I just wanted to let you in on what Lithonia is like. I have lived here since I was 2 years old. I will be 32 this fall. Lithonia used to be a nice place to live--lots of green space, a diverse group of people and safe. Dekalb county Georgia (which is where the city of Lithonia is) has gone through an amazing racial shift--it went from a predominatley White area to a predominatley Black area. I feel very fortunate to have been a child here in the 1980's--I had a blast as a kid. I had White friends, Asian friends, Native American friends and so on. I felt safe at school and received a great educational experience--very little unruly behavior was exhibited by my peers. Crime was also less common in those days. I know that some people are going to get angry for me saying this, BUT seeing that you are trying to move here I am going to be honest! Ever since south Dekalb county has gone black, the neighborhood has gone down hill. I will say though that out of all the sections of south Dekalb, Browns Mill and Snapfinger Road are the best looking areas. Everywhere else there is just too much development going on. Trees are getting knocked down everyday! Greenspace has now been replaced by tacky hair and nail shops, gas stations and fastfood restaurants. The Dekalb school system and children who attend them are horrible! I know because I have taught them. The kids here have very little respect for authority. If you are going to move here to Dekalb county, I recommend moving to north Dekalb (Ashford Dunwoody area). If you would like to live in the city and you have the high income to go along with city living, look into the new section of town--Atlantic Station. This is our hot spot right now, a little too trendy for my taste, but hot! I have a friend from Cali--she stands out so much because she is friendly and spontaneus. She has chosen to live in Buckhead; a more upscale town; the Beverly Hill's of Atlanta (so it's said!). Good choice for her! I hope this helps. Send your kid to private school if you decide to stay in south Dekalb! The kids here are rough! And so are some of the teachers and after care workers!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,003 times
Question Considering a move

Hello I live in Detroit Michigan and i am considering moving to Lithonia 6389 Isle of Palms to be exact and i was wondering what type of area it is i mean i live in northwest Detroit at the moment so i don't carry false reservations about living in urban america today but i just wanted some insight on the location we have no small children so the schools won't really pose an obstacle for us i am more concerned with quality of life, ease of commuting overall area evaluation I welcome all input Thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,678 times
Default Do u still like Lithonia

I am a little late. I was wondering if you still like Lithonia? That is the #1 place where I have looked to rent. I want to live in an all black community but schools are a concern to. I have a son who will be in 9th grade and a daughter in 4th. He is more of a concern. I know today kids ALL OVER are terrible I deal with that in NJ. But is it really as bad as people say. Any input will help we are moving june 1. Ps any input on MLK high. Thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,259,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2atl View Post
I am a little late. I was wondering if you still like Lithonia? That is the #1 place where I have looked to rent. I want to live in an all black community but schools are a concern to. I have a son who will be in 9th grade and a daughter in 4th. He is more of a concern. I know today kids ALL OVER are terrible I deal with that in NJ. But is it really as bad as people say. Any input will help we are moving june 1. Ps any input on MLK high. Thanks
First off, Lithonia is not "all black."

Secondly, with the recent fiasco about the city council vs. the mayor vs. the police chief going on, this might not be my top choice to move to right now. That is, find a more stable community with community leaders that are more grounded. Metro Atlanta communities have their share of problems as it is, and skirmishes among city leaders should not be one of them.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,904,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
First off, Lithonia is not "all black."

Secondly, with the recent fiasco about the city council vs. the mayor vs. the police chief going on, this might not be my top choice to move to right now.
That's correct.

While I wonder why that one poster earlier would specifically ask for an "all black" town to live in (which would draw tons of fire if someone ask for "all white"), the fact is, Lithonia while having a large black population is still mixed, so that person's child would fortunately be forced to mix with people of varying races and be exposed to a variety of people.

Regarding the city leaders there - the best way to describe them is "third world". Watching the drama on TV lately is just pure entertainment at it's best. I haven't a clue how that Mayor and some of the others got voted into that office.

Read up on it here:

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=114116 (broken link)
11Alive.com - Tensions Remain High In Lithonia (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=114157 - broken link)
11Alive.com - Special Meeting Called in Lithonia (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=114220 - broken link)
11Alive.com - Mayor Bails Out Aides, Meeting Planned (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=114255 - broken link)

Old 04-10-2008, 12:41 PM

135 posts, read 786,438 times
LOL. Lithonia is a hot mess. The Mayor and City Council members got in a physical scuffle the other day and the Mayor ended up having to wear a neck brace. City hall has been closed for no apparent reason for the past couple of days. The Police Chief was fired by the Mayor and then re-hired by the City Council out of retaliation. The City Hall is plagued with mold and the state won't give them money for repairs because they failed an audit. Apparently someone was using city funds for inappropriate personal uses. Also the police chief allegedly purchased a $22,000 Crown Vic with city funds without authorization.

I am Black American and I'm about to have a Bill Cosby moment. This is why black people can't have anything. They don't know how to act. Just look at the whole Clayton County school board fiasco. How on earth does an entire county lose accreditation? That is ridiculous. Look at all the scandals Atlanta's former Mayor was involved in. Look at Baltimore City. The city has a 70% black population and averages almost 300 murders a year. We must stop the madness.

There is absolutely no reason for this to go on. Don't give me that crap about segregation and social conditions. I'm not denying those things are a contributor, but one doesn't necessarily have to become a product of their surroundings. I grew up dirt poor in the ghetto with no mother or father. I bounced around from abusive foster home to foster home. Yet, I made the decision to do something better with my life and become a college educated, productive member of society. Anyways, I'm off my soap box now.

Back to the subject... Lithonia does have some very nice areas. I was down there a few weeks ago and was blown away at some of the subdivisions. While I personally would rather live in the city than the suburbs, some of those areas in Lithonia would be a great place to raise a family. However, I'm not sure how the schools there are. I would be worth more research if you have children.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,904,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrusso View Post
I am Black American and I'm about to have a Bill Cosby moment.

LOL... I love that.

(bravo to you)

Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 AM

145 posts, read 598,564 times
$0.02

The City of Lithonia and nearby areas called Lithonia does not share the same government. Similar to how Candler Rd/Covington Hwy/Glenwood Rd have a Decatur address, but aren't City of Decatur. Many (if not most or all) of what is referred to as "the nice parts" of Lithonia are in fact unincorporated Dekalb County. Dekalb County provides these areas with police and other services same as they do with others in unincorporated Dekalb County like LaVista Rd, N. Druid Hills Rd, Memorial Drive, and Peachtree Ind.

There are many that live in "Lithonia" that like it, and have a better quality of life then those putting down the area. Some parts of "Lithonia" resemble St Ives CC and yet other parts are not as appealing.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 AM

162 posts, read 684,024 times
Can't we all just get along LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta