Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 11:01 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
It’s a major city with hundreds of thousands of single occupant vehicles commuting in it... it’s not supposed to be predictable. Accidents happen. Trains get delayed and break down. People leave work early. People drive worse in the rain. Power outages impact traffic lights. Parades/festivals block streets. Best bet for a routine commute is to be walkable/bikable distance between home and work. Yes I know how that isn’t always easy to accomplish.
It’s generally predictable. Monday mornings worst. Friday mornings best. Monday afternoons best. Thursday afternoons worst. Friday afternoon is bad but it ends early. Halloween always bad. In General April September and October are worst months due to fewest people on vacation. If there is a Falcons weekday night game it’s bad. The unpredictable nature is more associated with weekends. I find winter and fall weekends are lightest and worst in summer. You always have to watch the perimeter for a major incident early in the morning or afternoon because that will subsequently cause massively worse connector traffic. That actually occurred this Monday. Something bad shut the perimeter and the connector was like the Wednesday before thanksgiving on a Monday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:31 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I had to run out to Memorial Drive this morning and it is flat getting built up.

Unfortunately the traffic has turned into major gridlock. I guess that's inevitable.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:29 AM

126 posts, read 83,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I had to run out to Memorial Drive this morning and it is flat getting built up.

Unfortunately the traffic has turned into major gridlock. I guess that's inevitable.
No it isn't. I live around the corner from there. The only time Memorial Dr is somewhat gridlocked is when that school is letting out and at the corner of Memorial Dr and Moreland but outside of that it isnt any issues. Its no different than any other major intersection in any other city. Gridlocked is a strong word at that. Did you take any photos to back up your claim because i dont believe you? Im sure when you saw the "traffic" that you took a photo to back up your claim since you started the thread and you would have valuable proof to back up your statement

Probably less traffic on Memorial than on most major roads otp on the northside.

What was the exact time you were on Memorial and in which direction were you going? Where are the photos? Where EXACTLY were you at on Memorial?

Last edited by ltaag; 11-28-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 07:19 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaag View Post
No it isn't. I live around the corner from there. The only time Memorial Dr is somewhat gridlocked is when that school is letting out
It was crappy last Saturday afternoon. No school on Saturday.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
No it isn't. I live around the corner from there. The only time Memorial Dr is somewhat gridlocked is when that school is letting out
Well, it was certainly a mess yesterday morning. It took three cycles to get through the light at Moreland. After that, the traffic between Moreland and Boulevard was still creeping.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:08 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
No it isn't. I live around the corner from there. The only time Memorial Dr is somewhat gridlocked is when that school is letting out and at the corner of Memorial Dr and Moreland but outside of that it isnt any issues. Its no different than any other major intersection in any other city. Gridlocked is a strong word at that. Did you take any photos to back up your claim because i dont believe you? Im sure when you saw the "traffic" that you took a photo to back up your claim since you started the thread and you would have valuable proof to back up your statement

Probably less traffic on Memorial than on most major roads otp on the northside.

What was the exact time you were on Memorial and in which direction were you going? Where are the photos? Where EXACTLY were you at on Memorial?
How about YOU provide photographic evidence to prove him wrong?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Well, it was certainly a mess yesterday morning. It took three cycles to get through the light at Moreland. After that, the traffic between Moreland and Boulevard was still creeping.
Part of that is the lack of dedicated left turn lanes, which will be solved by GDOT's 2019 resurfacing and re-striping project.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:38 AM

126 posts, read 83,920 times
Quote:
No different than any other major intersection OTP.

Traffic

Windy Hill / Cobb Parkway >>>> Moreland/Blvd

Hammond Dr/ Ashford Dunwoody >>>> Moreland/Blvd

Windy Hill / Powers Ferry >>>> Moreland/Blvd

Plenty of others

Old 11-28-2018, 10:01 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Took us 45 minutes to get through town on the connector Sunday at 1:30 pm. That was from about the Buford Highway Connector to I-20. Perhaps it was due to traffic heading to MB Stadium for the soccer match?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Part of that is the lack of dedicated left turn lanes, which will be solved by GDOT's 2019 resurfacing and re-striping project.
No doubt about it, cq. A few left turners (or even one) can really hang things up on a narrow, busy road like Memorial. Lots of curb cuts. Construction and delivery trucks also gunk things up.

Maybe the situation will improve after GDOT works its magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta