Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 05:15 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

One thing that would help is to limit onstreet parking during peak hours. The other day I was trying to get down Juniper and in one block a delivery truck was taking the curb lane, causing a major delay as people tried to merge over.

Two blocks further down a guy had parked his SUV at the curb, which was likewise was causing major delays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 10:03 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One thing that would help is to limit onstreet parking during peak hours. The other day I was trying to get down Juniper and in one block a delivery truck was taking the curb lane, causing a major delay as people tried to merge over.

Two blocks further down a guy had parked his SUV at the curb, which was likewise was causing major delays.
In this age of online shopping with Atlanta's 2 lane roads, I'm finding Fedex trucks are getting to be more and more of a hindrance to getting around during the middle of the day.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
While still working up in Midtown, I used to keep the phone number for signal light malfunctions, etc. in my phone. After speaking to a specific technician or 2 often enough, they got to know & trust me enough to know that I was calling legitimately. As such, they gave me their direct contact info. Believe me, I was happy to use it.
As they explained the overall situation, Atlanta has a lot of equipment that is old or fragile enough so as to easily go out of sync from their programming. When that happened, for the lack of a built in alert in the system to inform them that anything was wrong with a particular light, they instead often relied on help from the public such as what I was doing by phoning.
It is true that CoA has very old and dated traffic signal technology. Signals are still controlled with mid-20th century timers, instead of loop detectors or more modern cameras/radar. ReNew Atlanta and TSPLOST are changing part of that
Quote:
Traffic signals will be optimized along major thoroughfares and linked to the Atlanta Traffic Control Center (ATCC). Traffic signal upgrades include replacing traffic signal lights, equipment and communication systems.
Project Transportation Categories Traffic Signals
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Computers?

They can really do wonders nowadays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffi...d_coordination
The Atlanta Traffic Control Center should be able to remotely adjust signal timing and even adjust on the fly if there detected congestion, eg: I-85 bridge collapse caused more congestion on surface streets nearby.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:19 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
I was looking for that thread regarding Buckhead versus Midtown. I don't know how anyone who has a car could live in Buckhead. Every time I'm there, the traffic is endless. It barely moves.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 14,418 times
Can I just chime in here and say it took me 1.5 hours to get from Alpharetta to suwanee the other day? No traffic accidents or heavy rainfall. Part of that was construction related, but it wasn’t a significant portion of the trip. I’ve nearly stopped going out for lunch because it can take an hour just to pick it up, wait in line, and return to work. I’ve also stopped my daily walks after after I get home because it’s too hard to get to my favorite park between 5-6p.

I hate going anywhere. Even outside of rush hour there’s a neurotic feel to traffic flow, so I’ve been electing to just not leave the house at all.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:11 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangecat View Post
Can I just chime in here and say it took me 1.5 hours to get from Alpharetta to suwanee the other day? No traffic accidents or heavy rainfall. Part of that was construction related, but it wasn’t a significant portion of the trip. I’ve nearly stopped going out for lunch because it can take an hour just to pick it up, wait in line, and return to work. I’ve also stopped my daily walks after after I get home because it’s too hard to get to my favorite park between 5-6p.

I hate going anywhere. Even outside of rush hour there’s a neurotic feel to traffic flow, so I’ve been electing to just not leave the house at all.

Where I live traffic isn't too crazy but I still either bring left over dinner for lunch the next day or make a sandwich. Saves you money and of course you don't have to do it every day.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:15 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Where I live traffic isn't too crazy but I still either bring left over dinner for lunch the next day or make a sandwich. Saves you money and of course you don't have to do it every day.
You are a financially wise person! I used to work with someone who went to Chipotle literally everyday for lunch and spent $9 - $10 each day. That same person also purchased a Starbucks latte each morning going to work. Now, that adds up! And, he always wondered why he didn't have any money...

Old 08-15-2018, 03:32 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangecat View Post

That’s one reason why we just moved from Suwanee after 15 years. I was fed up with the ever increasing traffic We moved up to Gainesville where everything we need is within a 10 minute radius.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Gwinnett seems to have a robust traffic control center and it doesn't seem to help the traffic imho. Plenty of streets with cameras near me and I rarely see the timing adjusted to help clear the traffic jams.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:29 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
That’s one reason why we just moved from Suwanee after 15 years. I was fed up with the ever increasing traffic We moved up to Gainesville where everything we need is within a 10 minute radius.
I'm just sitting here in Newnan chuckling at these responses.

#NorthAtlantaProblems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta