Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 PM

234 posts, read 144,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Most likely the section north of Wieuca Rd and the Confluence Bridge
Ooof other than the school and inching towards the city limit that’s not a particularly compelling segment. If the design included to the city limit and there were plans to connect up to sandy springs and for a trail to connect chastain Park to chamblee station via Nancy Creek, now then I’d absolutely consider weighting the project due to a greater regional connectivity.

If I was CoA I’d be comparing projects with a handful of variables including but not limited to new services provided to an area as well as how many people are served with the project. For example I expect complete streets would rank high, particularly in intown/crosstown corridors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Total cost is $12 million, but the federal government would pay $7 million and the CoA would pay the remaining $5 million.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:26 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
I do feel that it's important to point out that both the Renew Atlanta bonds, and the actual TSPLOST itself are generating the funds as they were expected to. That is, there isn't a shortfall in collections.

What seems to be mostly happening is that there was a combination of over-eagerness, a lack of prioritization, a unforeseen rise in project costs, a bit of mismanagement, and a lot of bad communication.

The project list for the TSPLOST was greatly over-scoped for the expected revenue, and rising construction costs (not at all helped by the on-going tariffs) have exacerbated that. A lack of prioritization of that list, unlike what MARTA's been doing with its recent tax increase, meant that it was unclear as to what projects would be taken care of, and which would be dropped. This is getting / going to be fixed, but it's a bit late now.

The Renew Atlanta bonds suffered from similar issues, though its list was much more on-scope from the beginning. That said, there's still a significant amount of outstanding infrastructure work that has not been addressed, and might as well represent an over-blown project list.

The funding source, and indeed many of the projects themselves, are going exactly as planned. It's just that there're too many of the latter, and too few of the former.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Ooof other than the school and inching towards the city limit that’s not a particularly compelling segment. If the design included to the city limit and there were plans to connect up to sandy springs and for a trail to connect chastain Park to chamblee station via Nancy Creek, now then I’d absolutely consider weighting the project due to a greater regional connectivity.

If I was CoA I’d be comparing projects with a handful of variables including but not limited to new services provided to an area as well as how many people are served with the project. For example I expect complete streets would rank high, particularly in intown/crosstown corridors.
It is planned to connect to the multiuse trail GDOT is building as part of the 285/400 interchange.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:43 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I do feel that it's important to point out that both the Renew Atlanta bonds, and the actual TSPLOST itself are generating the funds as they were expected to. That is, there isn't a shortfall in collections.

What seems to be mostly happening is that there was a combination of over-eagerness, a lack of prioritization, a unforeseen rise in project costs, a bit of mismanagement, and a lot of bad communication.

The project list for the TSPLOST was greatly over-scoped for the expected revenue, and rising construction costs (not at all helped by the on-going tariffs) have exacerbated that. A lack of prioritization of that list, unlike what MARTA's been doing with its recent tax increase, meant that it was unclear as to what projects would be taken care of, and which would be dropped. This is getting / going to be fixed, but it's a bit late now.

The Renew Atlanta bonds suffered from similar issues, though its list was much more on-scope from the beginning. That said, there's still a significant amount of outstanding infrastructure work that has not been addressed, and might as well represent an over-blown project list.

The funding source, and indeed many of the projects themselves, are going exactly as planned. It's just that there're too many of the latter, and too few of the former.
The collection projections for TPLOST were $280M-380M over the life of the tax. Per the city, they are currently tracking to the $280M level. So while it's technically true to say they haven't quite "fallen short" of what was projected to be collected, they are literally at the very bottom of their own scale.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
It is planned to connect to the multiuse trail GDOT is building as part of the 285/400 interchange.
I recall statements saying there will be a trail that would connect through the interchange, however cannot place a map or rendering at the moment.

Here’s an old proposed trail network from the Nancy creek trail proposal from the friends of Nancy creek trail FB page. IMO while not CoA, this should also be built out to connect chamblee station to chastain Park, including a cut through from Johnson ferry (near Peachtree blvd) to Peachtree dunwoody south of that wetland.
https://i.imgur.com/eu1L141.png

Old 01-03-2019, 09:48 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I recall statements saying there will be a trail that would connect through the interchange, however cannot place a map or rendering at the moment.

Here’s an old proposed trail network from the Nancy creek trail proposal from the friends of Nancy creek trail FB page. IMO while not CoA, this should also be built out to connect chamblee station to chastain Park, including a cut through from Johnson ferry (near Peachtree blvd) to Peachtree dunwoody south of that wetland.
https://i.imgur.com/eu1L141.png
IIRC, the trail is supposed to cross I-285 @ Peachtree-Dunwoody.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
IIRC, the trail is supposed to cross I-285 @ Peachtree-Dunwoody.
Looked into this a bit more out of my own curiousity and interest in an interconnected bike network throughout the region (albeit preferring an interconnected network in the CoA, moreso). Only goes as far south as Johnson Ferry via what appears a switchback at the southern terminus. That would be a 2.5 mile gap from Loridians to Johnson Ferry if the Path 400 extension was built w/TSPLOST $$$.

Took a still to load faster and highlight the trail (in green)
https://i.imgur.com/TabrTaw.png

http://www.dot.ga.gov/BuildSmart/Pro...ProjectMap.pdf

Last edited by Street Advocate; 01-03-2019 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
What do people think of the new overhead freeway lane directional signs that began appearing past few years? Are they easier or harder to understand than the old version of arrows pointing down at the lanes?
Attached Thumbnails
TSPLOST and Renew Atlanta-capture.jpg  

Old 01-03-2019, 06:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
What do people think of the new overhead freeway lane directional signs that began appearing past few years? Are they easier or harder to understand than the old version of arrows pointing down at the lanes?

I found it to be a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta