Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:32 AM

6 posts, read 10,010 times

Advertisements

Like many Atlanta parents, we've made the decision to apply our son to private Kindergarten next year. I won't bore you with our reasons, but we have thoroughly considered the question of private versus public—and have determined that a small classroom is what our son needs at this point. We are applying to five schools; most of them are the usual suspects, with one unorthodox choice.

Now, to the background of my question: Westminster is a school that people are sharply divided over. Westminster describes itself on its website as "a bright child's playground," and after attending their open house and tour, I'm inclined to believe them. The opportunities there are clearly phenomenal and life-altering.

The Lower School seems to have overhauled its curriculum as well—moving towards a much more creative and open-ended way of teaching. I love this trend, and I hear that it is trickling upward into the Upper School as well.

Getting an acceptance from Westminster is by no means a guarantee, obviously, but what if we do get one? Would we be foolish to turn it down? If you have kids there now (or have very recently), can you tell me how stressful a place it is for your family as a whole?

Here are the pros and cons that I see for our son with regards to Westminster:

PROS
- He is extremely bright and insatiably curious.
- He got excellent scores on his JATP.
- We expect a glowing evaluation from his current teachers, who seem to think the world of him.
- He is quite creative.
- He is doing great with reading in his Pre-K class.

CONS
- He's not naturally athletic. He's loves the outdoors and sports, but he's simply not a talented athlete, even with practice (he is truly our son). I hear sports are important at Westminster. Would he always feel "less-than" if he's not a fast runner, etc?
- We aren't wealthy. Doing fine, and can afford to send our child to private school, but we aren't in the same league as the people who live in the very fine homes around Westminster.
- My husband and I both have a touch of anxiety, which our son could inherit. Would that make Westminster terrible for him?
- He is shy at first—but makes deep friendships with a few people.

If you could help me think ahead about what we should do in the statistically unlikely event of an acceptance from Westminster, I'd appreciate it so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
I am a current parent and will PM you--all good things!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 24,685 times
Hi. Your pros and cons sound remarkably similar to mine, except I have a daughter going into 1st — not an expansion year; so we are really apprehensive about the process, especially having just moved here a year ago. (I just posted a note myself.) Your son sounds like he will have a terrific experience wherever he enrolls. Good luck to you!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,379,079 times
My oldest daughter graduated from Westminster (K-12) and one of my other two daughters is a junior there. Overall, it is a fine school with a great curriculum. Extracurricular activities are very numerous. No need to be an athlete - your son will be just fine. And, for the most part, children there are not from great wealth. Most are like your son - their families are not wealthy but are well off.

My oldest graduated in 2012 with a high B average and good scores on her SAT. She was wait listed at UGA. She eventually was accepted to UGA (Go Dawgs!), but the experience let me know this: Westminster is a terrific school that really is unparalleled in the region. However, as far as college acceptance is concerned, unless the student is an A/A+ student, a Westminster diploma, costing $350,000 for K-12, really provides the college applicant with no meaningful benefit. Perhaps it can be argued that the child will learn to network, be better prepared for the world, etc. However, my third daughter is a junior at Grady High School, making A's and A+'s. I truly believe that she will be a more attractive college applicant than either of my two Westminster kids.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:47 PM

55 posts, read 79,620 times
Many of your cons are not as relevant for the Lower School. The sports culture pieces aren't as present (especially at PF level) and WM has a variety of support services so the potential anxiety would not be limiting. The wealth differentials don't bother me but some parents who are more active/SAH are probably more attuned to it. At the Lower School level, no differences noted there yet.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 10,010 times
Thank you all so much for your insights!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM

53 posts, read 87,163 times
We were in a similar boat two years ago, with a similar sounding child. My husband and I were also both Westminster alumni, but still strongly considered other options/schools. Ultimately we decided on Westminster for our child - not because of our connection to the school but because of the resources and fantastic educational foundation it provides. Also, even though our child isn’t athletic (AT ALL), the idea of being able to attend sporting events and football games on campus was a plus for us (especially since several of the other schools we considered didn’t have on-campus facilities for sports). Oh, and we are comfortable but not wealthy. I occasionally have “house envy” after attending birthday parties, etc., but everyone is nice and down to earth and I have enjoyed getting to know the other W families the past two years...

Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 PM

27 posts, read 24,845 times
I attended Westminster from pre-first through 12th grade. Graduated in this decade. Sports are extremely important. Something like 90% of my class played a sport. Of those who weren't athletic, almost all were heavily involved in other extracurriculars. I was sometimes shamed for not being "busy enough" by my peers. Very weird.

Also, the majority of students ARE very wealthy. I don't know how you can argue anything else based on tuition alone. Social standing and parents' wealth seemed to be pretty directly correlated when I was there.

I really wouldn't recommend Westminster if your child is prone to lots of self-doubt or anxiety. I'm pretty similar - I did fine academically, but found the social environment much more competitive and difficult to navigate.

The fine arts didn't seem to be encouraged as strongly as they were at Lovett and Pace, weirdly enough.

I ended up going to UGA, where the majority of my friends went to public school. I was literally shocked at how differently I had grown up than them - Westminster really does keep you totally isolated from the 'real world', especially when you had gone there since the age of 5.

The public schools in Buckhead are fine. I'd recommend starting your child off in APS and then going from there. If you have anymore questions, PM me.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
IF your child gets in, and you enroll, and find it isn't a good fit, you change schools. I would caution you from putting too much stock in their curriculum change. As we have seen across Atlanta, private schools have personalities/characteristics and when they stray to much from their model, they often receive pushback from the parents. You can't expect too many changes at W, especially in the high school.

But a word of warning, as someone else said, the downside of the atmosphere at Westminster isn't necessarily present in elementary school. So you may find it a fine fit for elementary but need to make a move for upper school. (My niece is there right now and will be leaving next year. She did fine in the lower school, but the upper school isn't the right place for her)

Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,165 times
Holy moly....$350k is what it costs for K-12 years? Anyone who can afford that is most definitely wealthy. If I spent that kind of money I would expect it leading to a higher level college than UGA for that kind of investment. Nothing against UGA — it’s a fine institution but I mean if most of the kids there went to public schools anyway what’s the point?

Had no idea people were laying out this kind of cash for kindergarten and elementary! Good on you for having the means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta