Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:21 PM

761 posts, read 907,795 times

Advertisements

The Buckhead privates are close knit communities. A couple of people who have worked for me, or that I've worked with had kids at Pace and Westminster. Both co-workers were affluent, but not multi-millionaires. They have commented that there are some extremely wealthy families at the school including a billionaire, but everyone seems to be nice and welcoming. W really is one of the best schools not only in Atlanta, but in the entire nation. If your kid is accepted, see if it's a good fit. With the fastidiousness you've put into this decision, and the academic ability of your child make, W seems like a good choice.

Also, several of the graduates of W do attend Ivy league and top 20 colleges, but the largest percentage goes to UGA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 11:36 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehousecheddar View Post
I attended Westminster from pre-first through 12th grade. Graduated in this decade. Sports are extremely important. Something like 90% of my class played a sport. Of those who weren't athletic, almost all were heavily involved in other extracurriculars. I was sometimes shamed for not being "busy enough" by my peers. Very weird.

Also, the majority of students ARE very wealthy. I don't know how you can argue anything else based on tuition alone. Social standing and parents' wealth seemed to be pretty directly correlated when I was there.

I really wouldn't recommend Westminster if your child is prone to lots of self-doubt or anxiety. I'm pretty similar - I did fine academically, but found the social environment much more competitive and difficult to navigate.

The fine arts didn't seem to be encouraged as strongly as they were at Lovett and Pace, weirdly enough.

I ended up going to UGA, where the majority of my friends went to public school. I was literally shocked at how differently I had grown up than them - Westminster really does keep you totally isolated from the 'real world', especially when you had gone there since the age of 5.

The public schools in Buckhead are fine. I'd recommend starting your child off in APS and then going from there. If you have anymore questions, PM me.
It is good for people to have your perspective and to know your experience.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:27 AM

403 posts, read 619,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Holy moly....$350k is what it costs for K-12 years? Anyone who can afford that is most definitely wealthy. If I spent that kind of money I would expect it leading to a higher level college than UGA for that kind of investment. Nothing against UGA — it’s a fine institution but I mean if most of the kids there went to public schools anyway what’s the point?

Had no idea people were laying out this kind of cash for kindergarten and elementary! Good on you for having the means.
Most people are wealthy compared to the general population ranging from upper end professionals to truly wealthy families with long legacies, both at the school and in the city in general. Regarding your comment on college placement, I think there are two factors working 1) It is very hard no matter who you are to get into the Ivy League level schools, it takes more than just grades and test scores and there are limited spots for rich kids from private schools; by no means does every kid make good grades thus some end up a second and third tier schools or pay out of state tuition at another SEC school; 2) you under estimate the loyalty that many people feel towards UGA. This is a goal that has been set for the child from the beginning, reinforced every football Saturday etc.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:30 AM

55 posts, read 79,690 times
I agree that UGA is the goal for a bunch of families so it's only us out-of-towners that really scoff at this notion. Also, for many super affluent white families, it really doesn't matter where their kids go to school. They have the social networks and access that one is buying from an Ivy League school. I have heard friends mention that their students who were average at Westminster were at the top of their class in college. There is a difference in preparation for the average public school vs a Westminster or Exeter or any other elite school. College was much easier from my friends from those schools.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinatl View Post
I agree that UGA is the goal for a bunch of families so it's only us out-of-towners that really scoff at this notion. Also, for many super affluent white families, it really doesn't matter where their kids go to school. They have the social networks and access that one is buying from an Ivy League school. I have heard friends mention that their students who were average at Westminster were at the top of their class in college. There is a difference in preparation for the average public school vs a Westminster or Exeter or any other elite school. College was much easier from my friends from those schools.

I would sincerely hope that an average student at super-selective, expensive private school would be in a different category than an average student at a public school.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:52 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I would sincerely hope that an average student at super-selective, expensive private school would be in a different category than an average student at a public school.
Having been through the process with one of each, I'm not sure it makes any difference.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:46 AM

55 posts, read 79,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think the difference is that at super-selective/top notch academic private school the kid probably had to work harder to be average and has been exposed more. I went to a very strong public school in an affluent state. One of my college roommates had gone to Andover. She had learned and done things that I couldn't even imagine at that point. She did very little work and got straight As at our very competitive university. There's a difference in quality of education for sure, even for the kid who is not a superstar at the private school.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:35 AM

711 posts, read 683,332 times
Quote:
I think the difference is that at super-selective/top notch academic private school the kid probably had to work harder to be average and has been exposed more. I went to a very strong public school in an affluent state. One of my college roommates had gone to Andover. She had learned and done things that I couldn't even imagine at that point. She did very little work and got straight As at our very competitive university. There's a difference in quality of education for sure, even for the kid who is not a superstar at the private school.
^^This right here is what you're paying $20K+ a year for when sending your kid to the top privates in the city. While I'm the product of an SEC school, I'm adamant that my kid not go that route. If she does end up at a public university, she better be getting straight A's in the Honors program.

Because of the HOPE scholarship, I'm not surprised a lot of kids get tracked to UGA, and then you can use the cash you didn't "need" for college on funding grad school. The admissions teams at the private schools are good at showcasing what schools their students end up for undergrad, but I'd be interested in seeing how many of those kids go on to grad school and where. Study and work habits formed in high school probably play a large role in their success in grad school.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
I went to a very strong liberal arts college here in the SE and I breezed through it pretty easily. I had lots of peers who also went to private schools all around the South, but struggled. I think that some of the "elite" Atlanta schools really do teach at a higher level, especially in terms of teaching critical thinking skills, how to write effectively, and how to manage time. So, whether you're at UGA or Harvard, those skills will serve you very well (ETA: I didn't go to Westminster, but one of the others that is frequently mentioned alongside W).

Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I think you missed my point. If a school's population consists of super-selective admissions with high tuition, then the "average" part of the population would be in a different category. And it damn well better be after all of that...or what's the point?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
^^This right here is what you're paying $20K+ a year for when sending your kid to the top privates in the city. While I'm the product of an SEC school, I'm adamant that my kid not go that route. If she does end up at a public university, she better be getting straight A's in the Honors program.

Because of the HOPE scholarship, I'm not surprised a lot of kids get tracked to UGA, and then you can use the cash you didn't "need" for college on funding grad school. The admissions teams at the private schools are good at showcasing what schools their students end up for undergrad, but I'd be interested in seeing how many of those kids go on to grad school and where. Study and work habits formed in high school probably play a large role in their success in grad school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta