Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:11 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

Cash is king. Say you're a VIP and you'd kind of like to get to the head of the line. If the man behind the counter sees one guy holding a handful of $20 bills and a bunch of other people holding debit cards, who's going to get waited on first? One of those twenties could fall right out of somebody's hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 09:21 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,362,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Are wait times at concession stands really that bad that we're abandoning the use of cash?
When I went to an Atlanta United game last year, I paid with a card at one of the bars and it was an excruciating endeavor, while my friend who paid with cash was in and out. At least at that point, they had only one machine on each side of the bar, and they required a signature, which meant they took your card, went and waited in line to run it, then came back with the receipt which you had to sign. It was awful. Took several minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't see a problem if they let you buy debit cards free. Even Dave and Buster's makes you pay for their card. MARTA makes you pay for a Breeze card. I don't see how this is any different.
At least with D&B and MARTA, you are buying a card for exactly what you will use. You can decide to buy $20 of game play, or two rides on MARTA. At something like this, you don't know how much your spending is going to be. That's at least one difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I don't really understand why people still use cash anyway. It's inconvenient, it causes you to constantly have useless change, and you can't track what you've spent. There's no record of anything you've purchased, so you can't complain or get a refund. It can also be lost or stolen.

With a card, you can dispute any charge, you have record of anything you buy in case you need a refund. It can be stolen but a call to your r company cancels it and you're not responsible for the charges. In addition, cards give you purchase protections (extended warranty, etc) and cash back/rewards.

I don't know the last time I've used cash for anything, probably years.
I use cash at vending machines, to pay babysitters, and to buy in on things at work. I don't ever use a credit card for regular purchases except for large purchases...all debit. Most of those don't have all the protections. As far as a record for what you've purchased to complain or get a refund, they have these newfangled things called receipts. You even get them when you pay with cash!

There's also the fact that for some reason Apple Pay and Venmo will not accept my bank card. I need to figure out why.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:30 AM

719 posts, read 1,333,516 times
When I go out socially I use cash. From parking, to entering a venue to buying drinks...It’s sooooooo much faster! I`ve only been to Mercedes twice and it was in a suite so it didn’t matter anyway. All the food/drinks were prepaid. . BUT I don’t think cash should ever be ruled out. But in this case if the cards are free its a win-win.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:42 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Quote:
all debit
May I ask why?

To me, debit cards are worse than credit cards or cash. If someone steals your debit card and blows all your cash, you have to fight with the bank to get it back in your account. Meanwhile, all the bills you pay from that account will start bouncing. With a credit card, you get to keep your money while they fix the problem.

Also, you don't get points with debit cards.

I don't understand why people use them. Can you enlighten me?

Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
I don't see a problem if they let you buy debit cards free. Even Dave and Buster's makes you pay for their card. MARTA makes you pay for a Breeze card. I don't see how this is any different.
Well, they are making you stand in line twice. Once to get your debit card, and a second time to actually get your hot dog. What's next? Strip clubs?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

I use cash at vending machines, to pay babysitters, and to buy in on things at work. I don't ever use a credit card for regular purchases except for large purchases...all debit. Most of those don't have all the protections. As far as a record for what you've purchased to complain or get a refund, they have these newfangled things called receipts. You even get them when you pay with cash!

There's also the fact that for some reason Apple Pay and Venmo will not accept my bank card. I need to figure out why.
Yes, if I want to keep every receipt for everything I buy then I agree. But a card is much easier. And safer, and more secure. Plus I've taken numerous high end vacations using nothing more than the points I've accumulated on my cards for my normal spending.

In addition, the warranty protection alone is worth it. Most better cards will double manufacturer warranty. Just last month I had a rather expensive appliance ($300) break outside of one year warranty. I called American Express and after sending in some documents they sent me $300 to cover a replacement.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's next? Strip clubs?
Should make swiping for a lap dance interesting...

Old 03-04-2019, 01:44 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Article says no fee.
Not seeing where in the article it says that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
When I went to an Atlanta United game last year, I paid with a card at one of the bars and it was an excruciating endeavor, while my friend who paid with cash was in and out. At least at that point, they had only one machine on each side of the bar, and they required a signature, which meant they took your card, went and waited in line to run it, then came back with the receipt which you had to sign. It was awful. Took several minutes.
I witnesses a very similar issue a week ago at a major mall retail store. The modem that handles card transactions wasn't connecting, and hanging customers up for going on 10 minutes. I had cash for my purchase, went right to the front of the line when another cash-only register opened, and got out.

I also had an issue at a popular midtown bar wherein upon paying up my evening's tab, the manager handed me the wrong card, and got quite hostile with me when I wouldn't sign for someone else's tab. The other patron was nearby, and figured out that the card was hers. The manager was still digging in his heels until he angrily said, "Use cash next time!", which is what I've done ever since.

Four years ago, my debit card got skimmed, I think at a gas pump. They didn't do too much damage; and the money was eventually returned to my account. Ever since then, I pay only cash for gas.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:12 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,556,322 times
Everyone has at least credit or debit card, and there so many people who pay with exclusively cards (myself included). I doubt that there are that many people who attend events at MB Stadium where this will be an issue.

That being said this still is puzzling and seems extremely short-sighted.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:05 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,362,539 times
Quote:
May I ask why?

To me, debit cards are worse than credit cards or cash. If someone steals your debit card and blows all your cash, you have to fight with the bank to get it back in your account. Meanwhile, all the bills you pay from that account will start bouncing. With a credit card, you get to keep your money while they fix the problem.

Also, you don't get points with debit cards.

I don't understand why people use them. Can you enlighten me?
Because I want to. I don't want to have to deal with a payment at the end of the month. I'd rather know all the time what I have available, and not have to look at a credit card statement and reconcile everything, then make a huge payment at the end of the month. Just not my style. I did collect points for a little while, then just decided I didn't really spend enough to bother. After a couple of years, I was able to buy like a camping chair or something. I hardly ever pay attention to frequent flyer miles any more either. Mostly, because Delta. If I thought that I could easily earn tons and tons of points and pay for vacations and all that based on normal spending, maybe it would be worth looking into. But, ehhh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Yes, if I want to keep every receipt for everything I buy then I agree. But a card is much easier. And safer, and more secure.
I agree. Was just responding to the statement "there's no way to go back and complain or get a refund with cash". There is.

Quote:
Plus I've taken numerous high end vacations using nothing more than the points I've accumulated on my cards for my normal spending.
Cool. Must have one hell of a card. I would find it hard to believe that the average persons' normal spending would afford multiple high-end vacations based just on points.

Quote:
In addition, the warranty protection alone is worth it. Most better cards will double manufacturer warranty. Just last month I had a rather expensive appliance ($300) break outside of one year warranty. I called American Express and after sending in some documents they sent me $300 to cover a replacement.
Awesome. But don't most Amex cards have fees in the hundreds of dollars per year, especially ones that will get you any decent amount of rewards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: