Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 11:11 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So my car and belongings of which I personally earned a degree and several certifications for, busted my --- off to obtain, worked over 80 hours a week for (yes I have on several accounts) are just sitting out there for the world to come and take from as community property and Im just going to booohooo over someone's fictional inequality - if there was real punishment for these crimes, and people saw they really had to work a 9x5 or actually be productive in terms of generating their capital instead of leaching onto others possessions... this crap would end...QUICKLY. Never once have I considered stealing from anybody, and I too have been in desperate situations (went homeless twice just to get through college). Its plainly a mindset - you steal once and get away with it, you realize you can make a living off of it, it becomes your new career, next thing you know you don't care about a job - just the next fix. I don't care what situation they are in, my property was paid for and belongs to me of which I worked to obtain LEGALLY -- so I'm not in the slightest empathetic to the action of robbing my belongings when you have the choice to work at becoming something productive in the world. What did it for me was my ambition - I didn't care that the world is widely bent against my opportunity to succeed, I just pushed on at all costs. I went from making $8 hourly without a place to call home to 6 figure salaries. So no, I've walked the hard road before - and its possible to get through it, therefore I have no empathy and cannot justify theft. There are other ways to get help when it comes down to that choice.

Bottom line, your sentiments do not reach me.

While you're sitting here crying over protecting the crook the guy who robbed the wallet from this lady has probably re-attempted 3 more thefts at this point, laughing and giggling all the way.
So, just to be clear, that is worth death to you? Taking a wallet is worth death?

Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So, just to be clear, that is worth death to you? Taking a wallet is worth death?
You should ask that of my would-be assailant that I just plugged.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:30 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You should ask that of my would-be assailant that I just plugged.
So, the answer to "is worth death to you" is "yes".

Old 07-08-2019, 11:34 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I have read that the certainty of being caught is a vastly more powerful deterrent than the punishment.

To me that fits in with the idea of resistance. If thieves expect to meet resistance when they try to rip somebody off, that's more likely to make them think twice. Conversely, if they are pretty sure they won't meet any resistance, what's to give them pause?

Quote:
1. The certainty of being caught is a vastly more powerful deterrent than the punishment.
Research shows clearly that the chance of being caught is a vastly more effective deterrent than even draconian punishment.

https://nij.gov/five-things/pages/deterrence.aspx

Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
My wallet contains more than just money and bank cards. My ID would also be confiscated and that typically gets sold off and it's a nightmare of issues trying to get that addressed. On top of which I also have access cards to secured sites. He was in the wrong to begin with to take something that wasn't his. It isnt about values, it's about principal. The answer is...I will go through any mean necessary to protect anything that is mine. I am not here to be community welfare. If they have an issue with taking lead for stealing property that wasn't theirs to begin with, they need to get a job.

I do not understand the notion that I need to be put under an inconvenience over a crime when they are clearly disobeying the law and living unorderly to begin with. If my car were to be stolen it's more to it than just going to Geico and driving off with a new car, more often than not you end up taking a hit on that especially if you're financing.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:52 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
So, the answer to "is worth death to you" is "yes".
And again I say, you're asking the wrong party in this scenario.

Putting up a good defense against one who would attempt to relieve me of my property and quite possibly my life is worth it to me. Not doing so is not worth my life. I have received proper training for such a possibility, and if need be I am ready to rumble.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:06 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Here is my question.

Would Rooster Cogburn go through a bunch of moral shilly-shallying if somebody tried to rip him off right in front of his eyes?

Would John Shaft say, "Sure, take whatever you want!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-cPWheNyaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsMTksRxy1M

Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
This is no longer about the local woman and the slider thief so thread closed but thanks for all of the view points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta